Is it possible to figure out which IR you have in the user slots?

sarge

Power User
I somehow can not find the list I made of my current setup.

Is it possible to find out through axe edit exactly what IR you are using in the user slots.

I suspect the answer is no but I am hoping someone figured out a way.

You're making me wonder if you could use some type of file comparison tool that can go through all IRs in batch mode :)

I was wondering about this myself. Is there some way that the user cab slots could be named the same way a patch name can be edited...or adopt the sysex name...Cliff?

Must be more work to do that than it seems, though I'm no programmer so what do I know. Time to fall back on some analog labeling...where's my pen and papar?:D

Please send $10.00 to my PayPal address and I will send you a copy of my method for keeping track of all user cab info:

I somehow can not find the list I made of my current setup.

Is it possible to find out through axe edit exactly what IR you are using in the user slots.

I suspect the answer is no but I am hoping someone figured out a way.

Attachments

• pen_paper.jpg
    pen_paper.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 30
Good question!
Anybody knows the answer !? :p

I have imported some acoustic IR's, but there are still "user1", "user2"... names appear in cab edit page :/

Last edited:
Good question!
Anybody knows the answer !? :p
As has already been pointed out, the answer is "no." User cab spots are designated with "User 1," User 2," etc., for a compelling reason: there is insufficient memory available to accommodate names. When I purchased my Axe-Fx, there were no user cab spots. When they first appeared, the IR length was 512 points. Later, Cliff found a way to squeeze in 1024-point IRs, making for a significant sonic improvement. He has stated numerous times that the ability to name them will not be forthcoming.

As has already been pointed out, the answer is "no." User cab spots are designated with "User 1," User 2," etc., for a compelling reason: there is insufficient memory available to accommodate names. When I purchased my Axe-Fx, there were no user cab spots. When they first appeared, the IR length was 512 points. Later, Cliff found a way to squeeze in 1024-point IRs, making for a significant sonic improvement. He has stated numerous times that the ability to name them will not be forthcoming.

Thanks for your answer, Jay! It is much clearer to me now! :)
I'm a new Axe user, have so much to learn yet ...
Cheers!

So, I have an idea...

If one were to use only Axe Edit to upload user IRs into the Axe Fx, couldn't the name of the IRs be stored in Axe Edit as opposed to the Axe Fx itself? I would think it would be relatively easy to modify the code in Axe Edit to remember the most recent IR that was loaded in each slot.

So, I have an idea...

If one were to use only Axe Edit to upload user IRs into the Axe Fx, couldn't the name of the IRs be stored in Axe Edit as opposed to the Axe Fx itself? I would think it would be relatively easy to modify the code in Axe Edit to remember the most recent IR that was loaded in each slot.
What if you upload download IRs from multiple computers? To me it's a no go.

The only effective way to me it's doing an hash of all the ir files in your Axe-Edit cabs directory, download the user cabs from the Axe-Fx and hash them.
Finally match the hashes to give a name to the user cab slot.
This way you can name even the largest IR collection in the world. Of course I am assuming if someone has multiple computers the IR library will be synced between them.

So, I have an idea...

I hate to assume, but I really did think that this was going to be something in the official release. I mean it's not like creating a text file with the names or even a database that tracks names or directories would be that complicated an addition considering how much other stuff is involved with AxeEdit.

And like GiRa said, it's not perfect for everyone, but IMHO it beats the heck out of not knowing anything...plus I'm poor and only have one computer for loading IR's.

I use only one PC with my Axe Fx as well. But, you could do something similar to what various internet browsers do with bookmarks/favorites links. Your favorites are stored in a single file that can easily be imported into other browsers, and even other browsers on other PCs. That way you can have the same favorite links in all your browsers on all your computers.

This could be a simple text file that would be created by Axe Edit, and read by Axe Edit so that it could display the name of the cabinet in Axe Edit's graphic user interface.

If you use Axe Edit on multiple computers, this text file could be saved to a thumb drive and read by all the copies of Axe Edit on all the computers you use.

Of course, the names of the cabinets would still appear as "User n" on the actual Axe Fx, but if you use Axe Edit for all your programming, this wouldn't be a problem. Also, if the cabinet names were stored as a text file, you could print this file and take it with you to gigs so you would easily know what cabinet is in each user slot. This would be useful for changing cabinets on the fly when the Axe Fx isn't attached to a computer.

I tried the IR finder/extractor, and it works exactly as advertised. If you've forgotten what you put in your user spots (and you've still got the Axe-Fx sysex files on your computer), this utility is exactly what you need.

Just to clarify - if you use Axe-Edit to load the IR, the next time you open Axe-Edit it will not show the name of the IR file on the Axe-Edit Cab menu, correct?

Back
Top Bottom