Is it possible to copy/paste only part of a preset to other preset?

Let's say I have two signal paths: In 1 to Out 1 and everything between, and In 2 to Out 2 and everything in between.

Is it possible to copy just the second signal path and paste it to a different preset?
...or to make a snapshot and paste only part of it?

(I mean in a single click. Not by copying / pasting each individual block to the other preset).

Let's say I have two signal paths: In 1 to Out 1 and everything between, and In 2 to Out 2 and everything in between.

Is it possible to copy just the second signal path and paste it to a different preset?
...or to make a snapshot and paste only part of it?

(I mean in a single click. Not by copying / pasting each individual block to the other preset).

No. But, as a suggestion. You can copy/paste the preset and then delete what you don't need in the second preset.

Also, instead of copying/pasting blocks, the library feature is very handy.

No. But, as a suggestion. You can copy/paste the preset and then delete what you don't need in the second preset.

Also, instead of copying/pasting blocks, the library feature is very handy.
Yes, I usually just "Save To New Preset Number" and alter what I want. And I love using the library and global blocks.

The "partial paste" would come in handy if I have to paste it onto multiple presets: Say I have 10 presets with 10 different signal paths.
I want to add a second signal path onto each of these presets - this one should be identical in all 10 presets.

I will put this into the wish list. It would require a "multiple block selection" that can be copied and pasted onto other presets.

The "partial paste" would come in handy if I have to paste it onto multiple presets: Say I have 10 presets with 10 different signal paths.
I want to add a second signal path onto each of these presets - this one should be identical in all 10 presets.
While it might seem simple to implement, it's a very error-prone process to automate. And, if it is done correctly where the code is trying to protect us from ourselves, it would then be worse dealing with all the alert boxes raised by the editor.

Imagine wanting to paste in blocks that you forgot already existed in a preset… what should the code do?:
  • paste over the top of existing blocks that were in a different row, effectively overwriting them or their assigned parameters?
  • refuse to paste?
  • if the block has multiple instances available, should it paste them using the first or next available instance? For example, that would mean you would suddenly have blocks that were pasted as Chorus 1 but are now Chorus 2, or vice-versa.
Good programming practices say we don't damage the existing "data", the layout, so it should refuse. At that point we have to alter the original layout or the group we're pasting so it'll paste safely. We have to manually override in other words. Odds are good you'd have to do that at least 10 times in your different presets.

Another problem would be: Should the code allow pasting into an existing path or only into a contiguous group of empty cells equal to the size of the copied group of blocks to preserve the layout of what you're pasting? If an existing path, what should it do if the row grows to exceed the grid limit? Should it refuse, or insert a Feedback Send/Return pair and wrap? What happens it if was in the last row?

Those are only two issues I see as a programmer in a couple minutes of considering the problem.

We'd all love this ability, but programmatically it's a horribly, REALLY, deep rabbit hole full of gotcha's. And, because it's been requested many times, I think the issues underlying it have kept any sort of wish from coming true.

Those are only two issues I see as a programmer in a couple minutes of considering the problem.
Hi, thanks for explaining. It makes sense.
I could live with a real sensitive version of this that would only work if all ideal conditions were met for a 1:1 paste. If not, the paste is denied.

I recently had to duplicate a signal path 1:1 onto over 20 existing presets and it took a while. I used the bottom row, which was free and of course new blocks. I used library and global blocks, but it took a while.

WbbS's suggestion of having two preset windows somehow visible w the drag and drop option would be great. It would have to be a visual representation of the second preset since we can't load two presets. ...similar to one of the FracTool features.

I think the easiest way is to allow to open a preset in a new window so you can drag and drop from one (not in use) to the one (in use).
*-Edit, connected to whichever modeler, only acts as a terminal to the modeler, which is the host, similar to a mainframe computer talking to a terminal and keyboard. Edit tells the modeler when we click on something or turn the dial, and the modeler changes the parameter and sends back the changed information. The FC units behave similarly.

Because the front panel of the modeler doesn’t support having two presets open at once and being able to edit them concurrently, Edit doesn’t have the ability to do it either. The firmware would have to be rewritten to allow that, which would be a huge change in the way the system is designed and works.

I don’t see that happening at this stage in the current generation’s modeler’s development, but perhaps in the future, whenever they decide that the current hardware isn’t able to do what they want anymore, they’ll redesign the hardware and firmware to allow multiple presets to be loaded and running without any impact on the sound. The current hardware and firmware is designed to reduce the swapping time to the minimum possible, but processors and memory continue to get faster and more powerful, so maybe some day….

I think the easiest way is to allow to open a preset in a new window so you can drag and drop from one (not in use) to the one (in use).
And … how is this supposed to work? It’s easy to say “something opens a preset in a new window”, but what? The editor? It’s not in charge, the modeler is, and that only allows one preset to be active at once.

In general, *-Edit can only do what we can do on the front panel. In other words, if we can’t do it from the front panel, the odds are good we can’t do it in the app. There are some cases where the editor can run some actions similar to a macro automating an action, but they are very limited.

If the presets, with all of the info it has, can be stored locally on the computer it can be done.
It can't, unfortunately... The preset isn't a standalone entity. It requires the hardware to be "complete".
Sorry for posting. "I will come back another time...". I changed my name and gave up posting exactly for this reason
Because someone answers you and explains why what your asking isn't possible you will stop posting? There's no reason. That's how we learn things...

This makes sense! I understand that it is hard. (Or nearly impossible to implement) But what about drag and drop from block library? Could that be done? One would have to keep track of what is what. (For sure!!) but that could be a time saver. The block library files are stored on the computer. Could that work?

Back
Top Bottom