Is it common to use reverb on high gain presets?

For high gain presets I will use at least a little delay which is similar to reverb but less washy, and if it's a 'lead' type sound I'll use a lot of delay, but no reverb. I find reverb is more useful on cleans and those mild overdrive type sounds. I even use it on some medium gain presets.

Can you chare what kind of delay and settings you would use on a tight rhythm preset, note not for lead work.

As someone mentions, would room in the cab or delay do the same trick?

I personally find short reverbs and early reflections in general too muddy for much live stuff unless its a naked part like a single guitar or an acoustic stripped down gig.

But with the AxeFx, you can crank up the Tail delay and turn down the early reflections. With these settings you can crank up verb and not loose anything in the wash.

I personally find short reverbs and early reflections in general too muddy for much live stuff unless its a naked part like a single guitar or an acoustic stripped down gig.

But with the AxeFx, you can crank up the Tail delay and turn down the early reflections. With these settings you can crank up verb and not loose anything in the wash.

If I get you right, this adds reverb to the sound without making it less tight?

If I get you right, this adds reverb to the sound without making it less tight?

Sort of.

When I call a track tight, I usually mean dry and a little heavy handed on the gate too.

But with the settings I mentioned, live, you can add a pretty good amount of verb without turning it into a muddy mess.

just had a thought with respect to my live presets...
live I use Marshall cabs so my cab emulation is off

so...
my riffing tone is bone dry and gets the reverb of the room I'm actually in..
and so only so only my soloing tone gets reverb

I use the same setting at a gig as practice... just a touch of reverb.... unless it's a vanhalen patch, then it's washed. Would be cool to have a global bypass for verb like we do the cab sim.

Global menu > Reverb Mix.

FWIW in rhythmic stuff , metal , djent and so on... With complicated rhythmic patterns " little reverb " is from No reverb to 5/6 % in reverb mix with very short reverbs
Try every reverb type to find the one that fits your needs

Ps. Sorry for my poor English , Italy here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Just saw a video with Opeth, and it seems to me that they use delay on their rhythm guitar sounds. I think Opeth has a quite large sound, which is interesting taking into account their E Standard tuning for instance. Usually tuning down will make the sound larger imo.

It really depends. I am in a on acoustic trio and I have two types of distortion. We use reverb to blend our band regardless of how much gain I'm using. Super high gain stuff the reverb is backed off white a bit simply because high gain genres have a lot of tight stops and clever cadences.
The biggest factor for me is the room were playing in. My band Point One went on tour with Sevendust a few years ago and they did a lot of reverb removal for the bigger venues. Small clubs their reverb mix was higher. Watching Tool play from backstage was also cool. He dropped the reverb every time his delay pedal was on!

Your answer is yep! Adjust the mix!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Not really common to use reverb on high gain guitars no, but check out Devin Townsend, he uses lots of reverb on everything, even high gain guitars, and I really mean LOTS.

Lately I've been experimenting a lot with different reverbs for either clean or gainy tones. Cleans obviously can take more reverb, wether it's classic spring reverb or richer modes. But for my highgain tones if I use reverb at all it usually is rec studio C or medium room, set in parallel, with very low level, tweaks to the eq, and adjustments in early and late levels within the reverb. But if you pick up the right cabs, add some dephase and do the 80/13000 cut; reverb is not really necessary for room playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use reverb on all my presets. Sometimes a little (~5% mix). Sometimes a lot.
I think no reverb sounds weird haha

I keep mine dry on everything except cleans and leads. Always have. It comes down to preference really.

I played live using my main preset last month, for studio/room playing it has the Rec studio C Reverb, placed in parallel (mix100/level around 10) and play with the reverb length and level to give some room airiness with little to no reverb tail (that is what might muddy up a highgain preset). Yet when I tried the preset at the venue, I realized the venue's natural reverb was more than enough. So basically it'll depend on when and where.

Back
Top Bottom