Is AX8 doing anything better?

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Just wondering. Since AX8 is a newer device, maybe some new hardware features are introduced that aren't in Axe FX?
Is the AX8 doing anything better than Axe FX XL? For example, better converters, better performance? No noticable audio gap when switching Amp X/Y, do you feel that? :D

Nothing as far as modeling. You could make a case for control flexibility vs. the MFC-101 though, since every button is programmable on the AX8.

I think if you have the axefx2xl+ and controller you wouldnt really need the ax8....i mean i can see if you gig a ton it may be convienent but for the hobby guy it seems overkill to have both...Not that cliff would mind

I am considering the AX8, because I think I could save some money by selling my Axe FX 2 XL and buying AX8.
I might just do fine with the feature set of the AX8.

One example of how AX8 evolved over Axe FX XL, is the new, brighter screen, which is also used in XL+. That's trivial though.

Yes, it's better at being an all-in-one unit that is easier to transfer and easier to set up. No separate controller or rack needed. That's enough for me to pick one up.

It's also better than any other all-in-one unit in the galaxy since it's loaded with Alien Technology!

Last edited:
i can see people selling their axefx2 racks to get the ax8 and still have money left if they dont really utilize all the things the rack model offers....i would be all over that aspect....You get the brain and floor features in one for alot less money.....many will get the ax8 and still keep their axefx2 rack but i would bet that rack would get no use after that buy..lol

If I would do big scale gigging across the country and around the world the AFX2 rack would make sense for transportation purposes, especially with a separate foot controller, if one part breaks its possible to swap things out. But for most normal touring/gigging many of us do, AX8 is perfect.

Also in a studio, an AFX rack model makes more sense.

For my limited needs, the AX8 will be perfect.

Get a Y spliter for direct headphone monitoring and use an interface for recording. Sounds good to me.

It does offer more presets and user cab slots than the early AxeFX IIs.

And, as mentioned, the ability to freely assign footswitches, along with hold for X/Y switching are nice advancements over the MFC101.

Just wondering. Since AX8 is a newer device, maybe some new hardware features are introduced that aren't in Axe FX?
Is the AX8 doing anything better than Axe FX XL? For example, better converters, better performance? No noticable audio gap when switching Amp X/Y, do you feel that? :D

Better interface in my opinion.

I've been using Ultras for a long time now and almost held out to get the AX8 but I like being able to mix two cabs too much.

I think it is designed to be better at what it was specifically built for, a stripped down (not in a negative way) version that's a great grab and go option, with the sound of the Axe Fx. It's smaller, lighter, has a pedal controller built in, and is designed as a (mostly) all in one option. And it is $1000 cheaper. That's what it will excel at, which was the intention of the designer from before it existed. Because of that, it'll be a better option for many people.

I doubt it will outperform the Axe Fx in any manner as far as sound and options go, and have no intention of selling mine. That baby is the center of my sound rig. I do think it will be an awesome companion to it though, and am waiting on my invite to order!

What is the weight of Ax8 in comparison to Axe FX 2? (Excluding the foot controller)? I thought the foot controller would be heavier, because of all those pedals and a "I'll be stepping on this thing" design.

Btw. I've never used dual Amps in Axe FX2, because I need to switch channels quickly without an audio gap, so that's what I was using the second amp block for. Not having two amp blocks might be a deal breaker for me.
Also, not having SPDIF IN, is kind of a bummer. No external clocks...
Also... Since AX8 is not an audio interface, could it be used to record a DI and an amped signal at once?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom