IR'S From the Dead

Deadpan

Inspired
Vendor
Hey all!

I have been following this form for some time and still don't have an Axe but I am fairly early on the AX8 list so here's to hoping!

That being said I am trying to get ready for when it arrives. I have a couple test IR's here I would like to get some thoughts on. I spent a day on these and they will only get better so thanks in advance for testing and giving honest feedback!

Looking forward to working through this machine!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2119c1uihev9k36/IR of the Dead Test 1.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9cp8dnzzbitkov/IR of the Dead Test 2.wav?dl=0

The two IRs are only very subtly different. I maybe had a slight preference for 2 over 1. Which surprised me because the highs were slightly attenuated in 1 according to the Cab-Lab plot window.

You don't mention what they're captures of so I threw them in front of the amps I use the most: USA Clean, Plexi 50W High and the Band Commander.

I thought they worked best with the Plexi. They're bright and sharp so you've go to watch the treble on the AMP block, but they counteract the heavy bass this model can kick out nicely. That being said, there's not a lot of low end content either so it can get a touch anemic with them.

I think you're on to something good here. A biting IR. Just needs some more low end IMO.

But hey, IRs are like wine, right? Everyone hears them differently! :D

Here's a quick re-amp clip of my Plexi 50W High patch. First it's your IR and then it's the 2x12 TV Mix C4 (ML) IR that I usually roll with. The bass difference is huge. I don't think your IR needs that much low end, but something in between where it is now and where that factor IR is might be nice.

If you're curious: this is exactly what your AX8 will sound like when you get it. There's nothing in this clip that the AX8 doesn't do precisely the same. You're going to love it! :)

Low end is tricky. We tend to want more of it when we hear a tone alone, but I've seen top top mix engineers hit guitars with a 200 Hz high pass filter. You'll have no shortage of tools in the AX8 to get where you need to go.

For example, if you wanted to add "weight" to the first IR, set its MIC to "NULL" and increase proximity.

Low end is tricky. We tend to want more of it when we hear a tone alone, but I've seen top top mix engineers hit guitars with a 200 Hz high pass filter. You'll have no shortage of tools in the AX8 to get where you need to go.

For example, if you wanted to add "weight" to the first IR, set its MIC to "NULL" and increase proximity.

Great!

Thanks for this!

Will I need Cab Lab to load/convert wav IR's? Is there a benefit to having Cab Lab if not?

Back
Top Bottom