IRs for vintage Vibrolux Reverb (jensens) or old Ampeg guitar cabs?

Can still remember an engineer telling me that we could put close mics in any of the places people recommend, on axis, off axis, angled, etc. But a good larger diaphragm or ribbon mic placed exactly in the position of my ear closest to the amp where I thought it sounded best in the room should always be an option too. Simple, logical, and I think using similar conventions; often not even in directly in front of the cab.

Going back to the OP's question, there's a good low cost option that gets you some nicely recorded vintage Jensen C10 and P12 IRs. It's worth buying just for the Celestion Vox AC30 blue "Bulldogs" in the same bundle:

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ml-vintage-combos-ultrares-cab-pack-bundle/

I am a massive fan of ML IRs. CTS and Altec speaker IRs I'm not so sure on what's available out there. It does seem we are relatively limited on "small vintage combo" IRs. I'll get round to trying this next pack at some point. Not exactly what you are thinking of, but I bet some interesting tones in there:

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-pack-austinbuddy-vintage-black-tweed-ultrares/

Hope that helps.

Liam

Last edited:
I'm a new FM9 user and I wonder if anyone over here in Axe-Fx III land has done any good IR captures for:

• mid-60s Vibrolux Reverb with Jensen C10 or P10 type speakers?
  • mid-60s Ampeg Reverb Rocket or Gemini 12" cab with CTS alnico speaker?
  • mid-60s Ampeg with Gemini II with a 15" Jensen C15P alnico speaker?
  • early 70s Ampeg VT-40 4x10 Emi or CTS speakers?
  • early 70s Ampeg V4 4x12 cab with Altec speakers?

I know York has a couple vintage Fender cabs/speakers...but not what I'm looking for.
Found a 5E7 Bandmaster P10R here....

First encountered an Ampeg in a music store in Silverton, NJ in the early '80s. Sounded great cranked up. Fantastic bluesy yowl!

Found one in San Diego in 2001, and traded a cherry '66 Bassman head for it. Need to go through it, do the filter caps and the "printed circuit" tone networks, which have gone flaky over time and only connect properly when you press on the front panel in just the right spot. Likely will have to fab something for them, as replacement tone circuit components for those don't seem to be available....
You can find components and parts. Here are two photos, of an amp I restored for a band mate. The first photo is the non-working mess (I had already cleaned the chassis). The second is the completed fix.

1669779031481.jpeg

1669779063188.jpeg

They probably didn’t want those mics to get the full volume that Keith might have been playing at. Looks like a Sony C-37 and a Neumann U67.

Back
Top Bottom