IR's - Advice Needed

bolts

Hey guys,

I've had my standard for 4 days now - loving it!..

I've done a tonne of reading on IR's and am wondering which approach I should take -

I am just now starting to get deeper into creating my own patches, getting some great sounds using stock cabs, and for some fun I threw in some of clawfinger's IR's on some heavy patches and they worked great.

Should I approach building patches with Redwirez up my sleeve....or build the patches first then throw in Redwirez afterwards...hmm? I suppose 60bucks wont hurt much..or am I throwing myself in the deepend?

Also how much CPU will be taken, throwing a mixed IR into an empty user slot? Does it depend on how many IR's are put into that single IR?

Cheers

Too many options!... :shock: :cool:

Start with the stock cabs, to keep things simple at first. Build a simple preset with just Amp and Cab blocks (Cab if you're going FRFR), and spend time getting to know the Amp block. Then, if you've taken the built-in stuff as far as it can go, try buying a single Redwirez IR - about US$10 each. See if that makes enough of a difference to warrant investing in more.

All IRs, regardless of where they are made or come from, will consume the same amount of CPU I believe. I suppose running in LoRes Mono would consume less although I cannot say for certain. It makes sense though. HiRes and Stereo should be the same. Seems to me it would depend on the number of samples the Axe is processing for the IR.

As to your other question, difficult to answer as its a very subjective topic. As you say $60 is not that much so if it doesn't work out, its not a great loss. With the RedWirez package you also get a significant number of IRs that can be used in recording as well and not just the Axe. Its really up to you how far you want to take it. When you receive the package and install it, you may be somewhat overwhelmed at the sheer possibilities given the large number of choices presented, I know I was.

Good luck!

It sounds like you've wrapped your head around the Axe pretty well for just getting started. For me the RW IR's have been my best purchase since the Axe. Several Industry standard cabs with a high end recording chain and a variety of highly regarded mic choices. Each mic from many positions. It's a bargain for the price. But in the end only you can decide where you want to take it, and what you need to get there. Plus there is the ability to mix IR's.

Cliff has provided a large collection of free IR's that he gathered from the web. It may be a good place to start.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1907

Back
Top Bottom