IR or TM (your opinion?)

Konstantin

Inspired
Hi, guys.
Please tell your opinion. For example, I want to get a sound similar to the sound of the guitar of my favorite artist. I have a separate track.
What's better? Ultrares IR or TM-block (quality, realism, etc.)?
What is the right way to use TM? Immediately after the AMP block without the CAB block? Or first, to bring the sound as much as possible, using IR into CAB block, and then only make a minor adjustment by using the TM (ie, at the same time will work both blocks CAB and TM) ?

PS. I know my English is very very bad... please sorry.

i use tonematch blocks for cabs almost exclusively.
there is no better just what you prefer.

i do not use cabs when tonematching, you can do it either way.

Hi Konstantin,
I think an IR is better... if you can find the right one!
I may be wrong, but I think that TM is only EQ, and not convolution like with an IR. That means that using TM to get a cabinet sound is a lot like the way old amp modelers worked in the '90s.
Still, I don't think there's a "right way".
As for finding the IR that sounds the most like a TM, that's pretty tough! Maybe later, I'll speculate some about how to find an UltraRes IR with the same "character" as a TM.
Good luck!

Tone matching will get you closer faster but the only problem with tone matching is that it may not sound or feel as authentic as you'd like in the long run. The best option would be to find an IR that's really close to your artist and then use tone matching but smoothen it out so it's just acting as an EQ rather than an IR. This way you'll get both the authenticity and correct EQ balance.

Back
Top Bottom