IR Dump feature not active till new Cab Lab arrives?

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
Do I have that right?
Otherwise I see no way to dump the UltraRes IR I just shot of my cab to disk directly from the IR Capture Utility.

I can only save it to an internal User Cab slot and then I can use Fractal Bot to save it to disk as a .syx file.

Or am I missing something?

PS
Any feedback yet on when the new Cab Lab will be available?

Do I have that right?
Otherwise I see no way to dump the UltraRes IR I just shot of my cab to disk directly from the IR Capture Utility.

I can only save it to an internal User Cab slot and then I can use Fractal Bot to save it to disk as a .syx file.

Or am I missing something?

PS
Any feedback yet on when the new Cab Lab will be available?

I am missing something. You can use Fractal Bot or Axe Edit to save it to your computer to share with others. UltraRes files are .syx They only work in the AxeFXII. So, if you were attempting to capture an IR and export it as a Wav file, the Axe won't do that. You wouldn't be able to use the UltraRes file in any other piece of gear except the Axe II.

The new CabLab will not enable an UltraRes IR to be converted back to Wav so it can be used outside the device. It is only going to allow wav files that are at least 170ms to be converted to .syx as UltraRes cab IR's.

I am missing something. You can use Fractal Bot or Axe Edit to save it to your computer to share with others. UltraRes files are .syx They only work in the AxeFXII. So, if you were attempting to capture an IR and export it as a Wav file, the Axe won't do that. You wouldn't be able to use the UltraRes file in any other piece of gear except the Axe II.

The new CabLab will not enable an UltraRes IR to be converted back to Wav so it can be used outside the device. It is only going to allow wav files that are at least 170ms to be converted to .syx as UltraRes cab IR's.

Yes, but there's also supposed to be this new .IR format which is a raw non-UltraRes IR file (presumably containing the data of a longer than 100ms .wav file, but not in .wav format) that the IR Utilitiy's Dump feature is supposed to allow us to be able to dump to disk.
We're also supposed to be able to dump the .syx UltraRes IR file directly from the IR Capture Utility to disk.
With the new version of the IR Capture Utility in 13.0 thru 13.02 there is a new "Dump" menu item.
This is in addition the "Save" menu item.

From the Dump menu:
Choosing X is supposed to dump the UltraRes .syx format IR to disk.
Choosing Y is supposed to dump the .IR format raw IR to disk.

Based on the 13.0 release notes, both of these functions are supposed to be accomplished somehow with Cab Lab as the intermediary.
But the current version of Cab Lab does not appear to support this.

I already know how to save an UltraRes IR to a User Cab on the Axe and how to use Fractal Bot to save that file to disk.

I'm asking about something else.

And how does one use Axe-Edit to save an IR to disk please?
I was not aware it could do that.

when you are in Axe-Edit click on the TOOLS menu and open Cab Manager, then click the USER tab and find your cabinet. You should be able to drag it on and off the manager, and/or use cntl click or right click to copy it to your hard drive.

For you other question about UR IR capture, I think you have to set it to LIVE.

when you are in Axe-Edit click on the TOOLS menu and open Cab Manager, then click the USER tab and find your cabinet. You should be able to drag it on and off the manager, and/or use cntl click or right click to copy it to your hard drive.

For you other question about UR IR capture, I think you have to set it to LIVE.

Ah right, Cab Manager.
Forgot we have that now.
Haven't messed with it as of yet.
Thanks.

Set what to Live in order to do what?

Both of those send a MIDI sysex dump that you can capture with Midi-Ox (or similar sysex-capable software) and save it to your computer.

The 'X' dump has a bug, see here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...p-function-ir-capture-utility-fw-13-02-a.html

Ah. That makes sense.
I'll have to try it with Sysex Librarian next time.
Thanks.
Wish I hadn't already turned my Axe off since shooting my IRs.
I would have liked to have made an .IR format file or two of these IRs.

[Actually: The mic's still set up maybe I'll do that now before I tear it all down.]

I don't suppose that the new Cab Lab will be able to take a .syx format UltraRes file and convert it into a .IR file, eh?

OK.
I just tried this and there's a whole bunch of stuff going on that I don't understand.
I also read that thread about the IR Capture Utility Dump bug.

So... I used SysEx Librarian to record the "Raw IR" that was dumped, apparently successfully, by pressing Y in the IR Capture Utility.
Sure enough, it recorded a sysex message.
SysEx Librarian says this file is 11 bytes.
Finder Info says the same but also says it's "4k on disk".
Meanwhile, I thought that the raw IRs are supposed to have a new file format with its own file extension, the .IR format.
And aren't they supposed to be 8k or 11k?
Of course, SysEx Librarian knows nothing about the .IR format and just records sysex messages with a .syx file extension.

So is this file usable for anything?
Will I be able to load it into the current Cab Lab or the new Cab Lab when it comes out?
Can I ul it as is to a new User Cab slot in the Axe with Fractal Bot or SysEx Librarian?
I.e. Is it for all intents and purposes the same data that I'd have if I had actually been able to save it in .IR format?

I also tried the X dump routine and it seemed to go off w/o a hitch too.
Based on that other thread though can I consider this .syx file to be garbled and useless?

Meanwhile ,I remembered something about SysEx Librarian and went back and tried the Y dump again this time using the "Record Many" command instead of the "Record 1" command.
The latter cuts off recording after the first sysex message is received and the former keeps recording as more data streams in.

And the resulting file is much larger, 45k on disk.
Still confused though as to whether or not I can actually use this file for anything.
??

Meanwhile, I thought that the raw IRs are supposed to have a new file format with its own file extension, the .IR format.

Yes, that's my understanding too. It's just that all of the tools for the complete workflow are not ready yet. The Axe FX can already produce that format but the software tools to work with it are not ready yet (mainly CabLab). I presume that you could rename the file extension to .ir and the upcoming cablab will be able to read it.

And aren't they supposed to be 8k or 11k?

"The raw 8k IR" --> the 8k refers to the IR length in samples. 8192 samples at 48kHz sample rate is roughly 170ms.

I also tried the X dump routine and it seemed to go off w/o a hitch too.
Based on that other thread though can I consider this .syx file to be garbled and useless?

Cliff confirmed that there is a bug.
Currently the way to get an UltraRes IR out of the box is to save it via an internal User Cab slot.

OK thanks.
I kept the the file I got from the Y dump.
I'll see if the new Cab Lab recognizes it once it comes out.
Changing the file extension might work.
But do you the size these raw ir files are supposed to be on disk?
45k seems large.

But do you the size these raw ir files are supposed to be on disk?
45k seems large.

I tried it with Midi-Ox. I got 43544 bytes.

Come to think of it, it sounds about right. Assuming 32bit floating point samples an 8k IR should be at least 32k.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom