iPhone or Laptop practice setup

Rich G.

Experienced
There are times when I need to do some 'silent' practicing when learning songs for my cover bands. Right now I play an unplugged electric guitar along with playback music on my laptop. I plug in one earbud so I can hear the music in one ear and my guitar with the other.

Is there device I can get that will allow me to hear both the playback music and some guitar sound in ear buds or headphones?

I could do this with a Behringer VAmp using the guitar input and Aux input along with the headphone output, but I'm looking for something simpler.

Try Korg Pandora, I am using it for guitar and bass practicing.
Originally I was thinking of some interface with an iPhone or laptop since I already have those out when practicing... but now you have me thinking in a different direction. Some sort of desktop guitar interface. Now I'm looking at the Pandora as well as Line 6 Mini POD or a Boss GT-001.

I use a small cheap behringer mixer and the headphone jack to mix both. Otherwise, I just plug my cpu's output to my IEM's input 2 and run my AFX into the input 1, and mix volumes as needed. Works for me, but I'm sure there are better options.

Originally I was thinking of some interface with an iPhone or laptop since I already have those out when practicing... but now you have me thinking in a different direction. Some sort of desktop guitar interface. Now I'm looking at the Pandora as well as Line 6 Mini POD or a Boss GT-001.
iPhones and laptops are ideal. IMHO. There's a reason these 'walkman' style amps (and GPSs and iPods and Cameras) are a thing of the past for most applications. Basically you just need an interface (for the iDevice get a lightning based adapter) and you are set. In the case of the laptop the Axe II series are interfaces already at that point; you just need a player app. On the iPhone there are a bunch of apps. I wouldn't bother with dedicated hardware complete waste of time. You will end playing the backing track from the computer or phone anyway.

iRig + PositiveGrid JamUp or Bias + Garage Band. Turns your iPhone or iPad into a mobile idea factory.

I personally have a Korg Pandorra P5D. It's great for just jamming, but if you want to be able to record/save ideas for later...

Good input guys!

Just a little more background... My focus is to have a simple setup so I can learn/review cover songs. I use a laptop running iRehearse to play the music. This allows me to create playlists, slow down, change pitch and loop music. I need to be able to hear the music and my guitar through ear buds. I know the desktop solutions mentioned have an aux input and a headphone out. Is there an iPhone setup that will do the same?

I picked up a Tascam iUR2 back when MF was blowing them out on a SDotD sale for like $39. I've never even hooked it up, but picked it up since I was looking for light weight portable iOS based practice rig/DAW at the time. Pretty sure it does what you're needing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-iur2-usb-audio-midi-interface-for-ipad-mac-and-pc

It's a little more feature rich than the iRig (even the new iRig2). You could probably look around on CL or eBay and find one at a decent used price.

Back
Top Bottom