IOS Axe Edit

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
I know it's been asked for many times but I think this is the way of the future. Instead of having an huge touch screen display built in to a new Axe Fx III which would be very expensive, why not off load those duties onto devices that "most" everyone already has (IOS, Android, Win10)?
I'm not a fan of Apple's policies and practices but they do have some nice hardware and I intend on getting the new iPad pro. It would be great to build a dock and have an edit screen that would put the Helix to shame or any other as far as that goes.
I know there are make shift ways to do this out there but a nice polished FAS option would be amazing!

agreed - my guess is they are definitely working on that. I think some of the biggest changes to come won't as much be hardware as they will start to enter the software arena.

It's not an easy task as touch input with rotatable knobs is completely custom UI and even then should be redesigned to better suit fingers. As it is afaik the Axe-Fx can only communicate with an iPad if it is first connected to a computer and then to the iPad. Don't know why but you would definitely need some sort of USB dongle to use it wireless with the iPad.

Putting a touch screen on the Axe-Fx hardware would not be very useful as it's not tall enough to fit a reasonable display. What it needs is just more adjustment knobs and a better nav stick. The Line6 Helix would be a good example of how to do it.

+1000

I know it's been asked for many times but I think this is the way of the future. Instead of having an huge touch screen display built in to a new Axe Fx III which would be very expensive, why not off load those duties onto devices that "most" everyone already has (IOS, Android, Win10)?
I'm not a fan of Apple's policies and practices but they do have some nice hardware and I intend on getting the new iPad pro. It would be great to build a dock and have an edit screen that would put the Helix to shame or any other as far as that goes.
I know there are make shift ways to do this out there but a nice polished FAS option would be amazing!

It's not an easy task as touch input with rotatable knobs is completely custom UI and even then should be redesigned to better suit fingers. As it is afaik the Axe-Fx can only communicate with an iPad if it is first connected to a computer and then to the iPad. Don't know why but you would definitely need some sort of USB dongle to use it wireless with the iPad.

Putting a touch screen on the Axe-Fx hardware would not be very useful as it's not tall enough to fit a reasonable display. What it needs is just more adjustment knobs and a better nav stick. The Line6 Helix would be a good example of how to do it.
Hmmm wrong.
There are a bunch of audio interface that do communicate directly to the ipad like RME Fireface. Directly through USB. All we need is the Axe to be class compliant which should be, don't quote me, possible through a firmware update. Then all we need is an Axe Edit app.

Rotary knobs have been done many times on touch screen, or at worse replaced by faders/up and down movements.

See Slate Digital Raven, Cubase IC Pro, RME TotalMix, TouchOSC, etc.

Agree 100 %

I

Instead of having an huge touch screen display built in to a new Axe Fx III which would be very expensive, why not off load those duties onto devices that "most" everyone already has (IOS, Android, Win10)?

I highly doubt that the axe 3 would have a touch screen. I bought an iPad 3 when they came out because I was sure an ios editor was coming soon. I was wrong. As much as I would love to have one I have up hope a long time ago. If it ever happened it would be sweet

How fare off is the axefx 3?
Pretty soon, according to some people. Well, at least while they are dreaming ;)

TBH I cannot imagine anyone sane releasing a new product while the current one still offers so much potential for improvement only by further development of the code that runs it. Just look how big step forward is the new Quantum Tube Modeling Technology... and I'll bet the lemon isn't completely juiced yet. Releasing a new model ATM just makes no sense from the economic point of view, but of course there always will be a dreamers among us ;)

I've been out of loop there's gonna be a touch screen?
How fare off is the axefx 3?

Wish list item and only speculation. No mention of an Axe 3. Like kavoo said just dreaming.

With tight tablet integration I was implying the Axe II could basically be the Axe 3 or add usability and keep the price down on a new piece of hardware.

Last edited:
Hmmm wrong.
There are a bunch of audio interface that do communicate directly to the ipad like RME Fireface. Directly through USB. All we need is the Axe to be class compliant which should be, don't quote me, possible through a firmware update. Then all we need is an Axe Edit app.

Rotary knobs have been done many times on touch screen, or at worse replaced by faders/up and down movements.

See Slate Digital Raven, Cubase IC Pro, RME TotalMix, TouchOSC, etc.
The AxeFx is already Class compliant, no ?

Like that idea. It seems that a lot of vendors switch to that kind of concept. Like the new mixing desks from Soundcraft or Behringer. Definetely makes sense. I never understood why you need the possibility to edit directly on the AXE. But off course I always have my MacBook with me when I'm playing. I understand that there are other people just using the AXE. And a concept like the RAC is a great idea for those guys. I prefer a display and decent editing software and therefore I would opt for a bare AXE. Just the AXE without any knobs, displays etc. Could save a lot of dollars :)

What I don't get is why you would need a dock? You only would need a built-in wireless connection and AXE EDIT for iPad, Mac, Windows and Android and everybody would be happy.

Back
Top Bottom