iOS 14 battery life issues

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
Excuse my ignorance, I'm Windows/Android, but my wife is all Apple, and she's seeing drastically reduced battery life after installing iOS 14, on both her iphone and ipad.

This is apparently a known thing, and she says Apple's fix is to wipe your devices. Why I don't know. She also says that only a very limited set of her infos get backed up in the cloud, so she'd lose a lot. She has a bunch of games that'd be lost, along with her state of play in those games, config of a bunch of other stuff.

Anyone know anything about this?

Weird I have no battery drop with the release. If possible, I’d wait till the next small update. Does she have 14.0.1?

Battery issues are usually a thing in the betas.

Install iTunes on a computer and have her periodically backup her phone to the computer.
I haven’t noticed any reduced battery life. How old is her iPhone?

The battery issue is mostly with paired Iphone/Watch. There is an info at Apple, that you should backup both, wipe them and first restore Iphone and pair them again. I did not noticed the issue on any of Iphones/Ipads I have or manage, but there is no watch around.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

She's on 14.0.1, and her iphone or a 6S Plus.

I've seen the watch/phone thing. I don't have the url, but she's seen an Apple article talking about 14.0.1 battery life issues with the phone itself. She, uh, could be wrong :)

Ring any bells with anyone?

One specific thing she's concerned about losing is she has a ton of podcasts, some of which aren't available any more, which she doesn't know how to back up. Ideas?

14.0.1 isn’t beta. I’m on that and I’m not on the beta program. I have an Apple Watch 4. More likely some battery sucking stuff got turned on in the update, usually in the Location Services and Background App Refresh areas.

14.0.1 isn’t beta. I’m on that and I’m not on the beta program. I have an Apple Watch 4. More likely some battery sucking stuff got turned on in the update, usually in the Location Services and Background App Refresh areas.
Did you read the link above?

I don't think it's just some background app turned on or Apple wouldn't be hunting for a solution ;)

The link is about the iPhone/iWatch pairing issue that causes battery drain as far as I can tell. The OP only mentions iPhone & iPad. Also, the 6S+ is the oldest phone supported. What does the battery health max capacity say? Does she use Bluetooth at all? I never do on my phone & keep it off to avoid unnecessary drain. After installing 14, it was back on so I would check that.
As far as backup, I would just do it on a computer with iTunes. I have restored a couple of iPhones that way when I got a new one & never lost any data.
Here's a link on setting up iCloud backups: https://www.imore.com/how-to-selectively-back-up-app-data-over-icloud
Of course, this all depends on how much data is on the iPhone & how much iCloud storage she has.

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to drain Apple Watch battery can be frustrating. Here are some steps you can try to improve your battery life:-
1. Optimize Settings:-
  • Display:- Reduce brightness and turn off "Always On" mode (if enabled).
  • Notifications:- Limit unnecessary notifications that light up the screen.
  • Background App Refresh:- Turn it off for apps you don't use frequently. Background App Refresh can drain battery in the background.
  • Workout Features:- Disable features like cellular data or GPS during workouts unless absolutely necessary.
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth:- Turn them off when not in use.

2. Power Saving Mode:- Apple Watch has a built-in Power Saving Mode that limits background activities and disables features like Always On display. This can significantly extend battery life.
3. Update WatchOS:- Ensure you have the latest software update for your Apple Watch, as it might include battery optimizations.
4. Reset Watch (as last resort):- Resetting your watch to factory settings can resolve software glitches affecting battery life. Remember to back up your data before resetting. More details instruction below.

Back
Top Bottom