Introduction to the Axe-Fx III

Are you referring to Cooper Carter's masterclass?
[/QUOTE
Are you referring to Cooper Carter's masterclass?
The Masterclass is paramount in my opinion.
Its the first class I've ever taken, and i don't tend to even read manuals all the way through.
Ive had a few elaborate studio set ups over the last 35 years, and I've always made it a point to master every piece of gear.
With the Axe FX III there's SO much to learn! With Coopers class you'll get past all the speed bumps, and the learn a solid foundation not only to the Axe FX but to how the whole system, FC included works and can work in harmony. I'll bet that his class saved me a month straight of reading and problem solving.

Its a great class, and he did an incredible job putting it together! I hope to meet him one day, to tell him exactly just that.
Whether your new to modeling or even if your familiar with all the modelers, there's a ton to learn. The content on the FC controller alone is worth the cost, and the time you'll save trying to wrap your head around how to customize it. Hope this helps

Here is the link to Cooper's class should you need it:
Thanks, I had it, just couldn't post it here to be clear we were talking about the same thing. I can't even quote your post containing it!

Any more thoughts on its usefulness if you're not new to modeling concepts?

Thanks, I had it, just couldn't post it here to be clear we were talking about the same thing. I can't even quote your post containing it!

I think the focus of the course is the Axe Fx III, not "modeling concepts"... So I would say it's probably very useful. I purchased the similar course for the II back in the day and it was excellent.

It is extremely useful to the set up/configuration of the Axe III and how to make use of all that it offers. While you are learning that you will find that modeling becomes much more clear. Cooper sets up Axe rigs for several big name stars, Neal Schon for one, and knows what he is doing. I find his teaching very down to earth and easy to understand.

Thanks folks, I'll probably grab it. Too bad there's no Black Friday sale :). Guess he figures that's what is worth, and if you have an Axe you can afford it, which is fair.

Other thing is my time is pretty limited, and I've been trying to actually play through the Axe as much as possible, check out the factory presets, tailor a few to my taste, and just generally use the thing during my trial period. That's a lot of content to watch, which is good, just time consuming.

Worth it. It’s not just as an extended Axe manual, but full of really great info on tone design and how to craft a great sound from someone who does it like a boss.

Not a make-or-break thing. but can this course be downloaded onto my phone, for my commute? Don't want to stream it on cell data.

Other thing is my time is pretty limited, and I've been trying to actually play through the Axe as much as possible, check out the factory presets, tailor a few to my taste, and just generally use the thing during my trial period. That's a lot of content to watch, which is good, just time consuming.

Don't try to consume too much of it during the trial period. Frankly, you should be able to dial things in fast enough on your own to figure out whether you like it or not. Cooper's course will allow you to maximize your spend once you decide to keep it. :)

Don't try to consume too much of it during the trial period. Frankly, you should be able to dial things in fast enough on your own to figure out whether you like it or not. Cooper's course will allow you to maximize your spend once you decide to keep it. :)
Yeah, agree, that's pretty much what I said was doing, trying to just use it.

But you're right, the course could be a good way to settle in after that initial look around.

Yes, learn enough about the unit to do minor tweaks to the presets during the trial period. Those should at least give you an indication on whether you'll keep it.

Pay close attention to proper setup (FRFR or monitors, and/or external power amp and cab.) There are plenty of videos that go over how to do this (including the manual.)

Of course, Coop's course is outstanding and will jump start your process if you're short on time. Comes highly recommended. That being said, there is no substitute for learning the unit...if you're on stage, and are not sure how to 'fix' and issue during a performance...you're toast.

Last thing: If you do not care to craft your own tones, wander over to the preset exchange sub-forum as there are several EXCELLENT makers of presets for all genre's and styles. Many for sale, but some gratis.

Welcome.

Oh crap...I just realized this is Cooper's thread. Sorry bro!

...Any feedback on it from people who weren't new to modelers? I've been using Helix for 3 1/2 years., and I'm reading the III manual. Think I get the paradigm, and no matter what read or watch, I'm not going to remember every parameter that's available on every block or waht they do unless their names make it obvious, which they usually do. I'm also somewhat of an electronics guy, and an ex-sound person, so I know what the pieces do, and the principles behind hooking them up.

Would I get a lot out this? I have a III incoming tomorrow, just trying to have it be as fun and productive as possible.

I had used the AFX II for several years before getting the AFX III, and used it for nearly a year before pulling the trigger on Cooper's Masterclass. I still learned a ton from the class, including a lot of better ways to do what I was already doing. The price tag seems a bit steep until you figure out the price per hour of instruction you're getting. Viewed that way, it's a bargain.

Cooper, you should be proud, nothing but good recommendations here :)

Definitely will do it, assuming I keep the axe, but maybe not during my trial, we'll see.

The price tag seems a bit steep until you figure out the price per hour of instruction you're getting. Viewed that way, it's a bargain.
I’m in a media business that makes these courses for people. Without revealing too much, some of our clients who do business coaching charge a LOT more than this! 😂

This is excellent! I hope FAS puts these on the main Fractal site as they deserve. Cooper, you are THE MAN!! This makes me want to buy a seconds one just for fun. Great Job as always 🤓.

Back
Top Bottom