Intrigued- questions on AxeFX use with Atomic amps

eda123

Inspired
Hey all,

Ive played tube amps my whole playing career (25 yrs). Ive used Line6 gear for 10+ yrs at home for late night practice, and for going direct at church. I use my amp and large pedalboard for my gigging band.

I recently upgraded to the pod hd. well, over on TGP there is a lot of comparison to the Axe, and this got me looking.. and now im truly considering buying an AxeFX and just doing away with my 2-setup solution of today (amp/board & pod). It will be easier, more portable, and from all the rave reviews, probably better sounding :)

Question on the monitors. Ill want a powered monitor for my backline at gigs where volume isnt an issue and I wont go into the PA direct or via mic.

The Atomic wedge vs. cab... is the wedge primarily for use in front of you, for a guitar-only monitor? Or is it appropriate for a backline scenario facing the crowd as well? Not sure which would be most suitable for me. I use a wedge from the board with the band mix in it, so I dont need one in front of me.

Thanks!

The Cab and Wedge can be used interchangeably. Notably, Dweezil Zappa plays with Wedges behind him (stood upright).

I own both. I particularly enjoy having a pair of Cabs in front of me set up like studio monitors. Very tasty! This is probably my favorite current way to play at home.

eda123 said:
Thanks!

I came across these posts where it was said that the atomics can't keep up in live rock band mix:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20004&start=0
http://fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 32&start=0

Is this something most of you notice? I'll need a monitor that can serve as an amp in certain venues where we aren't going direct with the other guitar & bass.

I don't find the Atomic powered wedge to be particularly loud. I would want 2 of them to feel comfortable playing with a band. Depending upon the band type of course. Then again, mine squeals like crazy and has been nothing but a pain so I'd recommend looking at other options. There are plenty of FR solutions out there that offer flatter response, more volume and by design-no chance of the all but inevitable tube problems. Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom