International shipping

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Purchased a rackmount mixer from Thomann almost 2 years ago that needs to go back for warranty work. Brought to UPS in NJ, they wanted……………..850 dollars to ship to germany, insured for 1200 bucks.

I can buy a direct flight for 550 bucks and probably a 100 dollar train ticket and personally drop it off myself for less.

Are they high? What in the hell is going on with shipping?

Purchased a rackmount mixer from Thomann almost 2 years ago that needs to go back for warranty work. Brought to UPS in NJ, they wanted……………..850 dollars to ship to germany, insured for 1200 bucks.

I can buy a direct flight for 550 bucks and probably a 100 dollar train ticket and personally drop it off myself for less.

Are they high? What in the hell is going on with shipping?
They're not high if they're asking if you need them to package and insulate the mixer for you, then charge for shipping, insurance, duties, and VAT taxes.

It cost me $55 to ship a mini-pedal Decibelics overdrive whose home country was Spain via USPS from the Eastern US, then local postal services for a jack gone awry. The catch was, USPS didn't charge more because I prepped and packaged the pedal myself.

You were likely getting dinged for their packaging service plus insurance in case UPS screws up.

They're not high if they're asking if you need them to package and insulate the mixer for you, then charge for shipping, insurance, duties, and VAT taxes.

It cost me $55 to ship a mini-pedal Decibelics overdrive whose home country was Spain via USPS from the Eastern US, then local postal services for a jack gone awry. The catch was, USPS didn't charge more because I prepped and packaged the pedal myself.

You were likely getting dinged for their packaging service plus insurance in case UPS screws up.
It was already boxed up and packed in its original shipping boxes. As a return, there should be no customs or VAT.

It was already boxed up and packed in its original shipping boxes. As a return, there should be no customs or VAT.
Hmm. Inordinate large size or weight? If no, try Fedex or USPS.

You might have a time trying to explain that the package is being sent back as a return, and therefore no duty or VAT taxes. I think you caught UPS on day when they were down to twigs and seeds, not their usual "but a preprinted label costs less" day. Something to run up the flagpole.

Is Thomann planning on shipping back no charge to you?

Hmm. Inordinate large size or weight? If no, try Fedex or USPS.

You might have a time trying to explain that the package is being sent back as a return, and therefore no duty or VAT taxes. I think you caught UPS on day when they were down to twigs and seeds, not their usual "but a preprinted label costs less" day. Something to run up the flagpole.

Is Thomann planning on shipping back no charge to you?
They plan to refund shipping, but wanted to be contacted if it is over 120 bucks. All the shipping paperwork shows it is a warranty return for repair. I sent Thomann an email. This is sort of ridiculous, as there is an authorized Behringer repair shop 10 miles away from me. As I understand it, by law a purchase in the EU must be warrantied for 2 years minimum, so what’s the problem? Send me down the road and let them fix it.

They plan to refund shipping, but wanted to be contacted if it is over 120 bucks. All the shipping paperwork shows it is a warranty return for repair. I sent Thomann an email. This is sort of ridiculous, as there is an authorized Behringer repair shop 10 miles away from me. As I understand it, by law a purchase in the EU must be warrantied for 2 years minimum, so what’s the problem? Send me down the road and let them fix it.
I think you've got a good idea of what needs doing. I'd just ask Thomann to authorize the Behringer shop handle the repair, stating excessive international shipping costs as the reason for the authorization.

If necessary, you can alway visit the local grocers on the return trip for some crackers, cheese, bread and milk to make the errand worthwhile.

I think you've got a good idea of what needs doing. I'd just ask Thomann to authorize the Behringer shop handle the repair, stating excessive international shipping costs as the reason for the authorization.

If necessary, you can alway visit the local grocers on the return trip for some crackers, cheese, bread and milk to make the errand worthwhile.
Even if Thomann told me to pound sand, it’s cheaper for me to walk in to the repair shop and fix it than it is to ship it back for warranty. IMO that is outrageous.

Even if Thomann told me to pound sand, it’s cheaper for me to walk in to the repair shop and fix it than it is to ship it back for warranty. IMO that is outrageous.
TBH,
I think the smart thing to do is take the high road, ask Thomann, and if they say "We understand, but the Thomann warranty doesn't apply to 3rd party repair shops," and realize that you might need to fess up to the Behringer shop and be up front with what Thomann said. Which might cost some repair cash.

The upside is that the repair will likely cost much less than the cost of UPS shipping. And if the mixer is still under manufacturer's warranty, you're golden.

Last edited:
Here is a question for you EU folks. I purchased this in the EU and shipped to states. EU from what I understand has to have a minimum 2 year warranty. If I am actually still under Behringer warranty, cant I yell at them to fix this locally?

TBH,
I think the smart thing to do is take the high road, ask Thomann, and if they say "We understand, but the Thomann warranty doesn't apply to 3rd party repair shops," and realize that you might need to fess up to the Behringer shop and be up front with what Thomann said. Which might cost some repair cash.

The upside is that the repair will likely cost much less than the cost of UPS shipping. And if the mixer is still under manufacturer's warranty, you're golden.
Im going to do my best to get them to pay for this. Apparently this just needs a new/beefed up power supply, which is 100 bucks and is an easy swap.

Im going to do my best to get them to pay for this. Apparently this just needs a new/beefed up power supply, which is 100 bucks and is an easy swap.
Best wishes with this. Not gonna lecture you regards due diligence and documentation. Photos might help bolster your chances.

Only suggestion is to ask Thomann first before setting out for this repair. If you receive their blessing, you'll have better success with the repair payment process...

Regards the work being done locally; I see no reason why Thomann wouldn't allow the local repair if the mixer is still within the Behringer warranty window...

Yet, you did say that Thomann was planning on reimbursing you for shipping, but they needed to know if the cost was in excess of $120. That may be the dodge there. Inform Thomann of the excessive shipping costs, about the local authorized repair shop, and if Thomann's (or the warranty) will cover parts and labor costs, per warranty.

You may discover that the local shop will do the repair free of charge. Phone call to them might save you time with Thomann's, which may be needed otherwise....

Last edited:
Best wishes with this. Not gonna lecture you regards due diligence and documentation. Photos might help bolster your chances.

Only suggestion is to ask Thomann first before setting out for this repair. If you receive their blessing, you'll have better success with the repair payment process...

Regards the work being done locally; I see no reason why Thomann wouldn't allow the local repair if the mixer is still within the Behringer warranty window...

Yet, you did say that Thomann was planning on reimbursing you for shipping, but they needed to know if the cost was in excess of $120. That may be the dodge there. Inform Thomann of the excessive shipping costs, about the local authorized repair shop, and if Thomann's (or the warranty) will cover parts and labor costs, per warranty.

You may discover that the local shop will do the repair free of charge. Phone call to them might save you time with Thomann's, which may be needed otherwise....
Yes no doubt, seeking Thomann’s guidance on this all the way to the end. I’d be surprised if they leave me completely hanging.

Yes no doubt, seeking Thomann’s guidance on this all the way to the end. I’d be surprised if they leave me completely hanging.
Well, you're covered if Thomann needs to reimburse you. Thomann may choose the least invasive method which allows you freedom of choice to pursue whatever avenue you wish. I'd just prioritize what needs doing and contact the local repair shop first to find out if the can repair your mixer at no charge. If yes, you're done. If no, check with Thomann about reimbursement for the repair. If yes, you're done. If no, inform Thomann about the shipping/insurance costs. Thomann may re-think the cost of shipping reimbursement and side with you on the repair cost instead.

If I know businesses well enough, they'll do whatever costs them the least, but makes you the happiest.

Well, you're covered if Thomann needs to reimburse you. Thomann may choose the least invasive method which allows you freedom of choice to pursue whatever avenue you wish. I'd just prioritize what needs doing and contact the local repair shop first to find out if the can repair your mixer at no charge. If yes, you're done. If no, check with Thomann about reimbursement for the repair. If yes, you're done. If no, inform Thomann about the shipping/insurance costs. Thomann may re-think the cost of shipping reimbursement and side with you on the repair cost instead.

If I know businesses well enough, they'll do whatever costs them the least, but makes you the happiest.
You’re right. Only problem is if it comes down to Thomann telling me getting the mixer back to them is a Me problem, not a them problem. At which case if I can’t get it fixed under warranty, I’d just do the repair myself. I THINK because it was purchased in the EU Behringer has to cover it at least 2 years regardless where it breaks.

You’re right. Only problem is if it comes down to Thomann telling me getting the mixer back to them is a Me problem, not a them problem. At which case if I can’t get it fixed under warranty, I’d just do the repair myself. I THINK because it was purchased in the EU Behringer has to cover it at least 2 years regardless where it breaks.
Yup. I hear that. Yet if you put yourself in their shoes you'll see why Thomann would likely choose to let the local shop repair the mixer within warranty (because it doesn't cost Thomann anything that way). Or, explaining to Thomann why it would not be cost-effective for either you or them to ship the mixer back to Thomann. Either way it's a win-win. Only thing that could go awry is if the mixer were not within warranty repair.

You've got this one! I have faith you'll do well.

Here is a question for you EU folks. I purchased this in the EU and shipped to states. EU from what I understand has to have a minimum 2 year warranty.
That's correct, EU rules impose a two-year guarantee for all purchased goods.
"Under EU rules, a seller must repair, replace, or give you a full or partial refund if something you buy turns out to be faulty or doesn’t look or work as advertised. You always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee, at no cost".

That said, moving an object to US is somehow not really detailed... so you can rely only on Thomann response.
Depending on the producer, sometimes you can address them directly and other times you have to contact the seller...

I hope you'll find a nice solution!

Back
Top Bottom