Interfaces for ultra and iMac

JohnBee

Inspired
I'm looking for all interface possibilities for the ultra and an iMac. The apogee duet seems like the logical choice but I was wondering what other alternatives exist. Looking for something with 1/4" inputs and outputs, stereo. Also with midi I/O. Thanks!!

Wow. Anyway..... Let me clarify. Looking for interfaces people prefer and/or have had good experiences using.

Wow. Anyway..... Let me clarify. Looking for interfaces people prefer and/or have had good experiences using.

Well that is completely different lol.

I really like my apogee duet, though I tried a friends rme babyface and that was great as well. Both were great with the axe fx. Unfortunately that's all i can help, not too much experience with other interfaces.

Cool thanks. Looking at the new apogee looks like I'll need a midi USB cable with regular midi inputs/outputs for the ultra. Does this work well in your experience?

The Duet is of course a fairly well thought of unit. I've been looking around a bit lately as I'm thinking of moving to a better and more portable recording set up. There are some other Duet-like tiny interfaces around. The MOTU (I think it is) has more I/O options than the Duet, including the option to connect another however many inputs via ADAT lightpipe. Whether that kind of thing's at all important to you is another matter. I've not gone too far into it yet as I'm still too broke to think about it too hard. Maybe the MOTU has more options, but the Duet is better quality (not necessarily the case, I'm just talking crap). In which case, if you don't need/want all those extra options, you'd probably be better off with the Duet.

Really, your first thing is to figure out what you really want from your interface. I/O, form factor, does it have to be USB bus powered, expandability, etc. And from there you can narrow it down and Google about and ask around for more specific info on each option. But there are a crap-tonne of interfaces around, and getting one endorsement from a forum user doesn't necessarily mean there aren't thousands of others complaining about problems they're having with the same unit.

Hi !
I actually had the duet, and several mbox, an eleven rack ... and finally i'm using a babyface.
I won't say that it sounds better than the duet2, but the way RME is updating it's drivers, the totalmix features (just awesome), the number of in/outs (the midi in/out for the axe fx, as well works flawlessly) .....etc etc ...
that's an amazing product.
I record my axe using xlr, without any latency (because of their system that allows you to listen in real time whatever you connect to it), using Logic Pro X, and i won't get anything else, unless i got the money for an Apollo next year ...

I have a Duet and I'm considering moving to not-Apogee -- they're not the fastest at updating drivers especially as OS X marches on, the legacy hardware is becoming less well supported. Which is a shame because it sounds great. On Mavericks it just doesn't feel as well integrated with the OS as it did on Leopard when I first got the setup.

Next interface for me will probably be a UAD Apollo Twin Duo: Apollo Twin with Realtime UAD Processing and Thunderbolt -- I love this form factor that Apogee started with the Duet and the Twin keeps that plus adds a DSP for cool things like mic and mic preamp emulation right. Thunderbolt for connectivity. Burr-Brown opamps. SHARC DSPs. It's the Fractal of the Mac interface world! :)

Back
Top Bottom