Interface, Routing, Headphones...

diddleybo

Inspired
Hello,

I'm in the middle of upgrading and downgrading my gear at the moment so I don't have an audio interface and monitors.
I've been trying to use my AXE-FX III as audio interface with Logic Pro via a set of headphones but I don't hear my Logic Pro.
I do hear my guitar loud and clear through the headphones but I can't hear Logic Pro.

In Logic Pro, I see the Stereo Output is getting signal, Output/Input Device is set to AXE-FX III.
In AXE-EDIT III, Audio INPUT 1 is Analog, 2/3/4 is Digital, Stereo and OUTPUT 1,2,3,4 is Stereo. Internal Clock, Digital Input Source is USB 5/6, USB Output 7,8 Source is INPUT 2.

I've read and watched pretty much everything I could find online but no luck yet.

Please help. I'd appreciate that very much.

Thanks!

Rule #1 when you find yourself asking the question "how come I don't hear anything?":

GO TO THE METERS PAGE OF THE MAIN SCREEN AND MAKE SURE THERE IS ACTIVITY ON THE EXPECTED INPUTS AND OUTPUTS.

In this case, when playing back audio from the computer, you should see input on usb channels 1/2 and output on analog output 1/2. (Make sure the usb 1/2 input level is turned up, you're sending audio from the computer to usb channels 1/2 and make sure Logic has permission to use the microphone in your system settings).

You'll find instructions here for using your Axe-FX with a computer:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Last edited:
Rule #1 when you find yourself asking the question "how come I don't hear anything?":

GO TO THE METERS PAGE OF THE MAIN SCREEN AND MAKE SURE THERE IS ACTIVITY ON THE EXPECTED INPUTS AND OUTPUTS.

In this case, when playing back audio from the computer, you should see input on usb channels 1/2 and output on analog output 1/2. (Make sure you're sending audio from the computer to usb channels 1/2 and make sure Logic has permission to use the microphone in your system settings).

You'll find instructions here for using your Axe-FX with a computer:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/
Thanks for your help GlennO.

The meters show nothing coming into USB 1,2. I see my guitar is going out of USB 1,2,5,6.

Your instructions was one of the first things I've read and tried but no luck yet.

Assuming you're sending audio from your computer to usb channels 1/2 and you've checked the microphone permissions: Can you record? Can you hear audio from any source on your computer, e.g. youtube? If not, then I would suspect you have a bad usb cable.

Assuming you're sending audio from your computer to usb channels 1/2 and you've checked the microphone permissions: Can you record? Can you hear audio from any source on your computer, e.g. youtube? If not, then I would suspect you have a bad usb cable.
Mic permissions checked.
Yes, I can record. I can hear my guitar, still no Logic Pro, though. I don't hear anything when I hit Play. I see the signal in the guitar track and Stereo Output.
No Youtube or anything from the Mac Pro.
USB cable should be fine because I'm running AEX-EDIT III and it works.

Very frustrating... haha.

These are my settings, with an empty preset in the AxeFx:

1713941196864.png

1713941243165.png

1713941279570.png

Works fine for me via logic playback.
You shouldn't need to change anything, it should just work.

Maybe it's the preset you're using?
Want to share it?

These are my settings, with an empty preset in the AxeFx:

View attachment 139320

View attachment 139321

View attachment 139322

Works fine for me via logic playback.
You shouldn't need to change anything, it should just work.

Maybe it's the preset you're using?
Want to share it?
Really appreciate your help discondition.
I've tried an empty preset but no luck.

My AXE-FX III is old, bought it as soon as they came out and has had a few funky issues like that from day one.

At least, my guitar sounds loud and clear.

Yes it does, but no Youtube, no Logic Pro.

Like I said, it's the unit. It's been like that ever since I bought it. I've known a few issues and I just discovered one more. That's it. Haha!

I can't thank you enough for your help discondition.

Have you gone into your "Audio Midi Setup" and configured your speakers?

I have mine set to channel out 3,4 because I use audio to output 2 on the AXE for home use. This gives me the ability to split headphone and monitors for a quick comparison while making a mix or creating a patch on two seperate volumes and monitoring.

Point being, within Midi Setup while axe FX is selected, there's a configure speakers tab bottom right that allows you to set this up and test the speaker to make certain that there's a connection in the path you chose. This helped me identify successful connection paths as I intended.

Edited: to add a bit more accurate info.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 4.45.22 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-28 at 4.45.36 AM.png

Have you gone into your "Audio Midi Setup" and configured your speakers?

I have mine set to channel out 3,4 because I use audio to output 2 on the AXE for home use. This gives me the ability to split headphone and monitors for a quick comparison while making a mix or creating a patch on two seperate volumes and monitoring.

Point being, within Midi Setup while axe FX is selected, there's a configure speakers tab bottom right that allows you to set this up and test the speaker to make certain that there's a connection in the path you chose. This helped me identify successful connection paths as I intended.

Edited: to add a bit more accurate info.

View attachment 139530View attachment 139529
I have Guitarzan69 but I still don't hear anything but my guitar.
Once again, it's this unit. I've had a few issues like this ever since I bought it new. I don't know why.
I'm stuck with it. I can't upgrade because I can't sell it like this. Nobody would buy it.

Thanks for your help again Guitarzan69!

Back
Top Bottom