Interface Idea...

Shoot me a PM when you have a hardware editor working exactly as you describe. Would love to check it out.

In the meantime I'll keep using the Lemur editor for lightning fast edits on the fly at my gigs and for efficient/fast fine tuning at home. Those who've tried it love it and can back me up on this.
I'm not talking about a hardware editor. I'm talking about a software that allows selecting all parameters you consider interesting in a live situation and then display them on screen.
Kinda like a customizable GUI.

Besides: no need to get offensive. I can't tell how good the Lemur editor already fits my need simply because I'm not willing to pay twice the price for a notebook just for the apple logo.

I'm not talking about a hardware editor. I'm talking about a software that allows selecting all parameters you consider interesting in a live situation and then display them on screen.

Besides: no need to get offensive. I can't tell how good the Lemur editor already fits my need simply because I'm not willing to pay twice the price for a notebook just for the apple logo.

You don't need an Apple computer to run Lemur or to hook up an Ipad. There are several people here running hooked up to windows.

Yes - you can tell how the Lemur editor fits your needs. Borrow an iPad and find out. The Lemur axe-fx editor and the Lemur template editor do exactly what you just described.

The Lemur app is $50, the axe-fx template is free (donations encouraged if you like it). The Lemur template editor is free. All you need is a computer with wifi, a USB cable and a little time.

It also runs on the earliest iPads which are less than $200 used.
If you really want a customizable GUI solution without issues, this is it, and multi-touch is the way to go.

By the way, there is an APP that can control any MAc o PC with your digital tablet meaning that you can have the Axe FX editor running and control it wirelessly, not as convenient as Lemur, but far more inexpensive if your on a budget and don't need the dedicated interface of Lemur.

Yes - you can tell how the Lemur editor fits your needs. Borrow an iPad and find out. The Lemur axe-fx editor and the Lemur template editor do exactly what you just described.

The Lemur app is $50, the axe-fx template is free (donations encouraged if you like it). The Lemur template editor is free. All you need is a computer with wifi, a USB cable and a little time.

It also runs on the earliest iPads which are less than $200 used.
If you really want a customizable GUI solution without issues, this is it, and multi-touch is the way to go.
Well ... as long as USB connection still crashes my Axe after like 30 minutes, no need to spend money on that for me. I rather wait for Axe Edit 3.0 as its free.

Sorry to rain on the parade here.... Rendered fantasies of top-down design like this can be fun, but to be brutally honest, quite impractical from an engineering/business perspective.

There's also a harmful aspect, as fanciful mockups make their way into the world without context and cause viewers to second-guess the viability of the existing hardware ...kind of like how some men see women who aren't photoshopped (only to spend lonely lives).

What about a dedicated controller with light indicators!

Light-encoders_zps63bbac06.jpg

Light-encoders-02_zpsa313d2c5.jpg

you can never have too many lights...

totally gets my vote

If your USB driver is jacked up, you won't be able to use axe-edit either. I'd look into that. I've never had a problem.
I'm not the only one with this problem. It seems pretty common. I reinstalled the USB driver many times, nothing helped. I also switched USB cables. It seems to be dependant on the "Send Realtime Sysex" setting. Depending on the setting, the crash occurs faster or slower. But it will crash regardless of setting even if set to "none".
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/68591-v10-02-hangs.html

How about an active matrix right on the knob! :)

Matrix-live-knob_zpsdecc30ad.jpg

I really like this design. Probably cost prohibitive, but it solves several problems. The issue with physical knobs (IMO) is that if they aren't motorized, they're worthless. I used the Boss GT-Pro for a couple of years that had dedicated knobs for GBMTPL. They were standard 3/4 turn pots, so you had to choose to have them take on the current setting as you turned them (which usually means that the knob position doesn't match the value) or have them switch the parameter setting to the knob position when you turned it (so you had no idea where it was set to begin with). I ended up just selecting a parameter & using the big dial to modify it - just like I do with the Axe.

Cliff indicated that if he could, he would have a huge touchscreen interface. Not sure how feasible that is cost-wise currently.

Thanks oscarecro for mentionning my project.

Like the OP and quite a few other guys, I felt the need for more knobs and encoders (endless "potentiometers") when using the AXE-FX. That is why I started the MidyAX project.

I have recently published a video of how the MidyAX can be used to control the AXE-FX II :
More info in the above mentionned thread.

The MidyAX currently has Control Pages by Effect Types that means if one select the "REVERB" control page, one can control all the REVERB parameters. The page selection is 1 or 2 button push. The mapping of the parameters is diaplayed on a 17" VGA monitor along with the values/unit of the parameter.
One feature I plan to implement is a few "Control Page" that can regroup the main Control Parameter for adjusting the tone in live set-up. These Control Pages would be customizable by the users like all the Control Pages.

The Target for the MidyAX is to allow up to 3 MIDI controllers to control the AXE-FX parameters and state. This will include :
- FCB1010 : for switch board
- BCF2000 : cousin of the BCR2000 with motorized potentiometers
- QuNeo : for "LIVE" control of a few param.
But all this is still on my TODO list for now. Still quite a lot of programming to do.

If one does not feel the needs for buttons/knobs then AXE for Lemur looks since a bloody damn good solutions, though I have not tried it (no iPad).

Last edited:
Reactions: gpz
Back
Top Bottom