INSTR Input on front panel died all of a sudden ?

CurvedLight

Inspired
I was playing my AxeFx using a cable plugged into front INST and it started to sound strange "digitally distorted" - I changed guitars and cables and in the process there we some noticable pops - nothing too loud - then all of a sudden the input went completely quiet .

NOW When I insert a cable I get one small pop and the input 1 leds get tickled then if the patch has delay I hear a series of pops then it goes silent

NOTE: Input 1 on the back works fine (I have a wireless plugged in)
for grins I unplugged the wireless in the back - front input still dead...

I checked the audio settings input 1 = analog
Out of desperation I reloaded the latest firmware and refreshed after new firmware -- nothing changed

Could something have gone bad on the input circuit ???? it works for a nano second then goes quiet

UPDATE : Next morning -I sent and email to FAS tech support - awaiting their reccomendations
with nothing plugged in I am getting random small pop sounds at the output - note AXE FX plugged into power condidtioner

Last edited:
I was playing my AxeFx using a cable plugged into front INST and it started to sound strange "digitally distorted" - I changed guitars and cables and in the process there we some noticable pops - nothing too loud - then all of a sudden the input went completely quiet .

NOW When I insert a cable I get one small pop and the input 1 leds get tickled then if the patch has delay I hear a series of pops then it goes silent

NOTE: Input 1 on the back works fine (I have a wireless plugged in)
for grins I unplugged the wireless in the back - front input still dead...

I checked the audio settings input 1 = analog
Out of desperation I reloaded the latest firmware and refreshed after new firmware -- nothing changed

Could something have gone bad on the input circuit ???? it works for a nano second then goes quiet

I will call FAS tech support in the morning :(
I had a similar issue on my Axe III. Tech support said to open it up & re-seat the connector to the front input. That fixed it for me & is very easy to do.

UPDATE : Fractal support as well as ntoalemming suggested looking at the internal ribbon connectors

I removed the lid and found the ribbon cable to the small input board totally disconnected and the connector to the motherboard was also loose.

After plugging them both in the AFX input on the front is working as expected .

This was a simple fix 😊 . I recommend moving forward that Fractal audio uses ribbon connectors that securely “click” into the connectors attached to the boards.

For a few dollars more these type of service calls can be avoided

UPDATE : Fractal support as well as ntoalemming suggested looking at the internal ribbon connectors

I removed the lid and found the ribbon cable to the small input board totally disconnected and the connector to the motherboard was also loose.

After plugging them both in the AFX input on the front is working as expected .

This was a simple fix 😊 . I recommend moving forward that Fractal audio uses ribbon connectors that securely “click” into the connectors attached to the boards.

For a few dollars more these type of service calls can be avoided
Yeah, I was really surprised how loose those connections fit. Mine managed to come loose after sitting in the exact same spot for 2 1/2 years! Support suggested using hot glue to secure it but for such a high end piece of gear that shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, I was really surprised how loose those connections fit. Mine managed to come loose after sitting in the exact same spot for 2 1/2 years! Support suggested using hot glue to secure it but for such a high end piece of gear that shouldn't be necessary.
Agreed!
Happened to two of my Axe's.
Panic before a gig, but found out I could use the input in the back until I figured it out😀

Back
Top Bottom