Inspired by the FM3 temp home thread

That Perfect Strangers patch is awesome Tim! Blue Collar Man too but I'm more excited about Deep Purple than Styx ... think of it as one of those chocolate fudge Pop Tarts things.

You had never heard Perfect Strangers until now?? I love that heavy organ sound. Probably why Abraxas is my all time fave album

Reactions: JTI
@YetAnotherOne and @Kingfishcam - I got to foolin' around with doing a patch for Perfect Strangers just to see how I'd pull it off. I don't know the tune so I played a couple parts reading the tab I found. The preset has three scenes - 1) is for the organ intro part, 2) is a simple Marshall, and 3) is my attempt at spreading the stereo image with the cello and guitar.

Anyhow, here's a half-assed demo:

Preset attached below.

Wow Tim, amazing... Your "half-ass" demo is probably better than most peoples "whole-ass"... And good thing I got the word order right within the second set of quotes! :D

what's your plan for monitoring/amplification? This is really a huge deal that so many people don't get right - particularly first time users. One of the most common reasons people bail on modeling is that they choose a poor output system for their needs.
@hippietim When I rise to the top of the wait list and receive an FM3, I will be one of those first-time users that you are talking about. I would appreciate your advice to avoid common first-time user pitfalls.

I perform at a church that has experience running another guitarist's Axe FX into the PA and monitors, so I only need a solution for my practice space at home. During the first 14 days of owning the FM3, I would like to avoid spending a lot of money on an expensive FRFR setup because, frankly, I'm not certain that I will decide to keep the FM3. (Blasphemy, I know...)

Here are a few ideas that I have:
1. Run S/PDIF output to my A/V amplifier which is connected to two large floor speakers, a sub woofer, and a middle bookshelf speaker. (No cost to me.)
2. Run Out 2 through 1/4"-to-RCA cables to a dedicated audio amplifier connected to two ~8" bookshelf speakers. (No cost to me.)
3. Ask my church to let me borrow a pair of powered monitors for 14 days. (No cost to me, but I would feel a little uncomfortable asking, and they might say no.)
4. Bite the bullet and buy a pair of powered monitors. (This begs the questions of what to buy and how much to spend.)

I would appreciate any advice that you can offer.

Last edited:
@Anzio Option 5: rent something. Most areas have a pro A/V supply place and they'll be more than happy to rent you an FRFR for a few bucks for a few weeks. Waaaay back when I got my first Axe-Fx Standard, that's exactly what I did for the evaluation period.

@Anzio Option 5: rent something. Most areas have a pro A/V supply place and they'll be more than happy to rent you an FRFR for a few bucks for a few weeks. Waaaay back when I got my first Axe-Fx Standard, that's exactly what I did for the evaluation period.
Thank you. That sounds like a really good option that I hadn't considered.

Would you say that options 1 and 2 are bad ideas? Just curious...

Thanks, that's a great sounding preset. I just loaded it up on my Axe FX 3, so preset compatibility is obviously working!

I’ve got a pair of $200-ish JBL powered monitors. I’m sure it gets far better but it was such a jump for me I wouldn’t bother with less, especially if you’re trying to feel some of the guitar you’re cranking

@Anzio now that I have the FM3, I am facing some of the same questions. I have JBL powered monitors, which are working well to get a feel for the Fractal, and they were about $200 a piece. But I can say I will likely be looking to get an Atomic CLR in the future.

@Anzio also, if you’re going to get a FRFR setup, you’re way better off with one very good speaker than a pair of budget speakers. A good output system is so important.
My current rig is mono, and my desire to move to a stereo rig has been one of the reasons for my interest in the FM3. I appreciate your feedback which has made me realize that it might make sense to start with one high quality speaker. If I'm happy with that setup, I can always add a second one later.

Thanks for your input.

@Anzio now that I have the FM3, I am facing some of the same questions. I have JBL powered monitors, which are working well to get a feel for the Fractal, and they were about $200 a piece. But I can say I will likely be looking to get an Atomic CLR in the future.
From what I've read on these forums, the CLR's appear to be the gold standard.

@Anzio also, if you’re going to get a FRFR setup, you’re way better off with one very good speaker than a pair of budget speakers. A good output system is so important.
@Anzio now that I have the FM3, I am facing some of the same questions...I can say I will likely be looking to get an Atomic CLR in the future.
@hippietim & @Kingfishcam - I want you both to know that I took your advice and just pulled the trigger on an Atomic CLR. Sadly, it is probably going to sit idle for a long time before I am able to purchase an FM3 to pair with it. I'm pretty far down on the wait list. 🙁

@hippietim & @Kingfishcam - I want you both to know that I took your advice and just pulled the trigger on an Atomic CLR. Sadly, it is probably going to sit idle for a long time before I am able to purchase an FM3 to pair with it. I'm pretty far down on the wait list. 🙁
I jumped on the waitlist for a CLR. I still need to run the FM3 thru my guitar amp yet and give that a try.

Back
Top Bottom