Insert a new block into an existing chain

I'm trying to insert a new block into a chain using AE. For example, the 1st 5 blocks are taken up by WAH, DRIVE, AMP, CAB, DLY and I want to insert a PEQ prior to the WAH. It seems to me I have to manually shift each block over one block, making sure that the connections are not disturbed (simple in my example, but might not be simple with some of the existing presets). I've tried using the horizontal sliders below the blocks, but they simply swap positions of the blocks. I've tried adding a PEQ into a random block and shift click/drag drop of the first block, but it swaps out blocks. I can't click on the 4 blocks and move them to the right.

Any solutions or do I just have to brute force it, e.g., manually shift to right? I know this has been covered but not sure I like the answer.

P.S. What do the Xs inside the blocks mean?

Thanks,

Nick

I run into this problem all the time because I need the first block to be a noise gate. I have always manually shifted all the blocks over and would love it if someone called me an idiot and provided a better solution.

the sliders on the bottom and on the end will shift entire columns or rows where've you want them. gets a little dicey with complicated routings but with simple set ups its an easy way to move things, especially shifting quite a few blocks over to make room for something else.

(this all assumes you are using edit)

the sliders on the bottom and on the end will shift entire columns or rows where've you want them. gets a little dicey with complicated routings but with simple set ups its an easy way to move things, especially shifting quite a few blocks over to make room for something else.

(this all assumes you are using edit)
yah they know that. Those sliders seem to only move one column at a time. The OP is looking for a way to select a group of blocks and slide them (together) to the right in the row. In a MAC application one would either shift click or command click the blocks you want to move. This doesn't work in AE.

A group of columns can by moved left/right quickly by dragging a column through them. For example, to shift columns 3-9 right, drag column 10 left to column 3. The front panel also has tools for this at the Layout: Move page.

Sometimes the process adds or removes diagonal connectors in parallel routings, so check those after moving.

+1 on that. If you have loaded up the first part of the grid (far left) but now you want to squeeze something else in, if you have empty grid at the end of the chain (far right), you can place the desired effect into that slot, and then drag it's little button on the bottom, to the left 7 or 8 slots until you drop it where you want to squeeze it into. Everything after it will shift to the right one slot.

And don't forget that there are moving sliders to the left of the first effect block, so you could move effects from the main signal pathway #2, into path 1,3,4 if that floats your boat.

You could take an effect that is on grid 2 in block 2, move it up to grid 1, then drag it down to position 10 on grid 1.

Sometimes, depending on your shunt routing, you might lose connections between effects, that you have to tether again.

I run into this problem all the time because I need the first block to be a noise gate. I have always manually shifted all the blocks over and would love it if someone called me an idiot and provided a better solution.
Curious, why put a noise gate in the first block? I assume you know about, and have tried, the INPUT gate?

Back
Top Bottom