Input1 - Switch Source via MIDI CC

Yea let me draw you a diagram of how I run my setup so I can do this with flexibility.

So monitors connect to my Focusrite interface. All Fractal units run their analog outs into analog inputs on the Focusrite. The Focusriteacts like a mixer for all the analog signals the monitors (and my headphones).

The Focusrite and the Fractal units all connect to the PC via USB.

I can pick any one to use as an interface in my project. But i’m always using the Focusrite to control the analog mix my monitors receive.

I‘m able to bounce between a Focusrite, AFIII, FM9 and FM3 with gus approach. I can also just record them via analog in on the Focusrite if I want. Super handy for comparing three units; I’ll send my guitar to all three at once and record them at the same time to compare across them.

View attachment 107941
That's really helpful - thanks!

Seems to be a pretty popular configuration. Personally I've found it to be the most flexible way to integrate the AxeFX III into a larger studio/recording setup 👍
This Is The Way.

(especially if you have multiple Fractal units you want to integrate into your setup)

And, like your post, you can use SPDIF instead of analog IO to connect a Fractal unit to the other audio interface too.

Wow - so much great info - thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge!

I'll do some reconfiguring of my setup in the next couple of days - looking forward to it.

Maybe I'm not thinking this through clearly, but ...

Wouldn't that mean the audio that goes to the outputs of the interface, like monitors and headphones, would have to be connected to the Axe-FX?

I appreciate everyone's help!
I run mine like this;

Rme interface into my monitors.

Axe fx 3 connected to and from rme via spdif

When recording, I generally select the axe as the sound card. I have my
Analog output one going to some frfrs so I can be loud if I want.

Ah. Yup. Not shown in my diagram: I run an output from my Focusrite to my Xitone so I can send guitar to that and be loud at home.
What I love about my setup is I control my monitors from my rme volume knob always, and the frfrs with the output 1 knob. I have an electronic drum kit too that I play through the frfr setup. I have the os audio set to axe fx and YouTube plays through the frfrs and monitors at the same time. I choose what I want to hear with the volume knobs.

Life is good in fractal world

What I love about my setup is I control my monitors from my rme volume knob always, and the frfrs with the output 1 knob. I have an electronic drum kit too that I play through the frfr setup. I have the os audio set to axe fx and YouTube plays through the frfrs and monitors at the same time. I choose what I want to hear with the volume knobs.

Life is good in fractal world
That sounds like a great setup, really optimized for what you need.

Indeed, life is good in the world of Fractal!

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

Based on the info you've shared, I did some reconfiguring last night so I can connect my guitar through my USB audio interface (MOTU 828es) instead of directly to the Axe-FX. I still have to fine-tune levels, but I think this will work well for me.

I also learned about the global performance page, which I'd never used before, but will be now. I've already setup a few things that will be useful to me (BMT, etc). I know this feature is meant for front panel quick access, but is it possible to control items on the global performance page externally, from the FC, for example? Just curious.

Based on the info you've shared, I did some reconfiguring last night so I can connect my guitar through my USB audio interface (MOTU 828es) instead of directly to the Axe-FX. I still have to fine-tune levels, but I think this will work well for me.
Oh. I didn’t make that clear in my diagram. I plug my guitar directly into whatever Fractal unit I’m using.

Think of the Focusrite as a mixer without any physical UI, all software controlled, that just happens to have USB recording capabilities as well.

Oh. I didn’t make that clear in my diagram. I plug my guitar directly into whatever Fractal unit I’m using.

Think of the Focusrite as a mixer without any physical UI, all software controlled, that just happens to have USB recording capabilities as well.
He's using configuration #5 from the recording guide. There are other ways to configure an Axe-FX when using spdif, but configuration #5 is a good way to set up a spdif rig for what he wants to do (DI recording and re-amping).

OK, I'll give that a try, too.

He's using configuration #5 from the recording guide. There are other ways to configure an Axe-FX when using spdif, but configuration #5 is a good way to set up a spdif rig for what he wants to do (DI recording and re-amping).
That's right, I'm using config #5 from your guide.

Back
Top Bottom