Wish Input usb on FM3

acuba777

Curious why FM3 does not have this feature, if it is so dsp hungry or why it is not implemented on FM3 as well…

Why does it need it? USB automatically routes into the modeler.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 7.51.17 PM.png
See Section 3: USB in the manual for more information.

There's also…
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 7.58.21 PM.png
See The I/O Menu on p. 94 for more information.

Last edited:
The FM3 has a more limited USB controller chip in it. It only supports 4 in and 4 out channels. The Axe III and FM9 by contrast support 8 in and 8 out.

The USB Input block is used when you need a digital input into the grid when the In 1 block is in use. For example, when doing a digital fx loop or when processing computer audio through the grid while still being able to play your guitar through the grid.
that means that I can send some backing track and to USB IN and play guitar via IN1, having both signal processed through signal chain, right? Something I can not do on FM3?

The FM3 has a more limited USB controller chip in it. It only supports 4 in and 4 out channels. The Axe III and FM9 by contrast support 8 in and 8 out.
ok, that explains reason why its not there. But can you tell me, what options exactly I loose with FM3 without having this block, comparing to FM9 etc?

You only lose the ability to feed a second digital signal to the grid while still being able to play your guitar. Given the more limited amount of DSP in the FM3, your options for processing a second signal chain would be likely be pretty limited anyway unless your guitar processing chain is quite simple. The FM3 is still capable of reamping and processing an audio stream from your computer. You just have to switch Input 1 over to digital input and can no longer play your guitar through it while you do that.

You only lose the ability to feed a second digital signal to the grid while still being able to play your guitar. Given the more limited amount of DSP in the FM3, your options for processing a second signal chain would be likely be pretty limited anyway unless your guitar processing chain is quite simple. The FM3 is still capable of reamping and processing an audio stream from your computer. You just have to switch Input 1 over to digital input and can no longer play your guitar through it while you do that.
Ok. Thank you so much for detailed explanation!
in this case another question close to topic as well. I was trying to send backing track from my iPad Pro via USB-C to USB-B cable to FM3. It works perfect, but one problem: volume is not controllable… I could not adjust volume from iPad. That was strange as I can always do it sending backing track from iMac (Logic DAW).Am I wrong somewhere?

Hi. Thanks for the info. I'm using the FM3 both on the PC and with an iPad, switching frequently. I'm using "Voicemeeter Banana" to combine my guitar, a backing track and my USB mic for online guitar lessons on Skype.
When I'm just practicing I use the iPad, which is extremely loud at USB 1/2 set to zero. It needs the level at around -24.4, while the PC needs it at zero. So every time I switch I need to adjust both the USB and Output1 level.

Now ist there a more convenient setting that works in both scenarios?

When I'm just practicing I use the iPad, which is extremely loud at USB 1/2 set to zero. It needs the level at around -24.4, while the PC needs it at zero. So every time I switch I need to adjust both the USB and Output1 level.
That sounds like a problem on your PC. It shouldn’t be sending audio that is so quiet that it needs to be turned up 24 dB. I would guess whatever app you‘re using on your PC to generate audio is sending audio that simply has the level turned down too low.

Back
Top Bottom