Wish Input / Output 2 block modifications

guitarcal

Inspired
I am currently using the FM3 Input 2 / Output 2 blocks to run 2 "mono" effects in parallel with my signal chain and using the mixer block to merge to a mono path. The idea is discussed in detail in this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/can-i-not-do-parallel-mono-fx-in-the-loop.181803/

A lot of the standalone pedals I have do not have a kill dry setting, so I am limited in volume control over these effects.

Here are 2 suggestions that would solve my problem. I'm sure someone could post potential downsides if any.

(1) Add individual level controls on each left right "side" of the Input / Output 2 blocks? The Output 2 knob on top of the fm3 above the display would then control the overall ratio of the left / right volumes set in the blocks.

(2) To take things one step further, could you instead allow users to add a separate "Input 2 L" mono block and "Output 2 L" mono block independent of an "Input 2 R" mono block and "Output 2 R" mono blocks to the grid. You could then put an "Input / Output 2 L" mono effect before the amp and an "Input / Output 2 R" mono effect after the amp. These blocks would run as Mono only.

The only potential downside I can think of regarding option 2 would be added confusion to the user of when to select the normal Input Output 2 block or when to select the individual left right variants. That and development time...
Upside, you add flexibility to the current effects loop, and turn it into 2 mono effects loops if needed.

Just a few thoughts, thanks!

Last edited:
That's what the balance control in all the blocks does. Turn it left and the right channel is reduced, turn it right and the left channel is reduced. At center both channels are full up.

That's what the balance control in all the blocks does. Turn it left and the right channel is reduced, turn it right and the left channel is reduced. At center both channels are full up.
Sort of, the balance control is within the output block only. The problem is, if you reduce the balance on the left side, you are reducing the gain level going to the pedal connected on the left side.

I would want the option to keep the gain levels the same on both sides in the output block, and independently control levels on the input block.

Ah good call. Adding a balance control to the IN blocks would take care of that. As a work around, a Vol/Pan or Null Filter block after the IN block would give the ability too. Those are both very low CPU blocks.

Thanks @mr_fender, I agree, a balance control added to the input block should help. Thanks for the suggestions, let me see if the Vol/Pan or Filter blocks help. My presets are already low 80s CPU so I don't have much wiggle room.

The more I think about it, I really like the idea of Option 2 detailed in my original post. I'm just not sure the majority of individuals would find this feature useful. That said, it would add additional flexibility to the loop for the FM3, and could be ported to the FM9 and Axe FX iii.

Back
Top Bottom