Ozborne

Hi all, just purchased an Axe FX III (so excited!). My next purchase are a pair of FRFR speakers to be powered by a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 amp. First off, I'm in Canada and the exchange rate right now, due to everything that is going on, is terrible! I acknowledge that a lot of people have recommended Xitone wedges for FRFR speakers. However, this is cost prohibitive for me. While there are alternatives (ie. EV, JBL, Yamaha, etc.), I have come across these speakers from Yorkville Sound.

These NX35-2's speakers are passive, made in Canada, molded polypropylene wedge enclosures that can be placed upright or on it's side, 8ohm, 500W (1000w peak) speakers with a frequency response of 60-18,000hz +\-3dB (there are more specs via the attached). The speakers are $1,000 CDN a pair (approx. $715 USD). Yorkville has been in business for 40 years, have a good warranty (apparently) and good service if ever needed.

Question: has/does anyone use Yorkville brand speaker's with their Fractal product(s) and what is your opinion of them? How do the specs look as it relates to using them for FRFR speakers? Would you recommend an alternative brand/model and why?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• NX35-2.png
    NX35-2.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Specs.png
    Specs.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 21
A tip on Yorkville: They are primarily in Canada, and also primarily build for rental work. So the number of people online who have exposure to them is unfortunately low. But they are well build and have a solid reputation. The other thing is because they are primarily built for rental fleets and rented out by Long and McQuade, most L&M stores have essentially dozens of used ones in stock which they will sell at a depreciated value based on how much it's been rented. So there are plenty of used options around if you want to save a few bucks, just go to an L&M and ask what they want for some of their rental fleet units. When they depreciate to around half price the usually actively try to sell them so they can replenish with brand new ones.

As for personal experience, I've had more experience with their active models. In particular I tried one of their Yorkville e10p powered 10" monitors, and it actually sounded phenomenal for guitar. Too good in fact. It was very crunchy and full in the midrange, in a way that other PA mains and speakers I compared to were not. I suspect it was voiced with a midrange focus for enhanced clarity as an on-stage personal monitor. I settled on a Yamaha DXR10 instead because it better matched the sounds I was getting from my Adam monitors, EVM passive speakers at one jam space, and Yorkville ps10 speakers at another that I compared it to. The yorkville PS10s are at the jam space so I only heard them a couple times before the quarantine but them sounded fine from my memory.

A tip on Yorkville: They are primarily in Canada, and also primarily build for rental work. So the number of people online who have exposure to them is unfortunately low. But they are well build and have a solid reputation. The other thing is because they are primarily built for rental fleets and rented out by Long and McQuade, most L&M stores have essentially dozens of used ones in stock which they will sell at a depreciated value based on how much it's been rented. So there are plenty of used options around if you want to save a few bucks, just go to an L&M and ask what they want for some of their rental fleet units. When they depreciate to around half price the usually actively try to sell them so they can replenish with brand new ones.

As for personal experience, I've had more experience with their active models. In particular I tried one of their Yorkville e10p powered 10" monitors, and it actually sounded phenomenal for guitar. Too good in fact. It was very crunchy and full in the midrange, in a way that other PA mains and speakers I compared to were not. I suspect it was voiced with a midrange focus for enhanced clarity as an on-stage personal monitor. I settled on a Yamaha DXR10 instead because it better matched the sounds I was getting from my Adam monitors, EVM passive speakers at one jam space, and Yorkville ps10 speakers at another that I compared it to. The yorkville PS10s are at the jam space so I only heard them a couple times before the quarantine but them sounded fine from my memory.

Thanks for the feedback IronSean! I'll take another look at the PS10's and 12's . . . . they are certainly less expensive. As for L&M, I have looked at their used Yorkville speakers on-line and you are correct, they are substantially reduced $ - but man most them are in bad shape - understandably given they are former rental units! I've decided to stick to 'new' as my budget does allow for it. Thanks again! Feeling better about Yorkville.

L&m has a good return policy - rent a few speakers and keep the winner.

Thanks Budda! I am in a rural area, however, there is a L&M about a 90 min. round trip from where I am. I think I'll do just that - 'kick the tires before I commit'.

Ozborne - How are you going to be using these speakers? Gigs, home use, etc.?

In my primary band, our FOH speakers are Yorkville. A pair of LS801P powered subs and a pair of U15P powered tops. We've been using them since late 2014, and they probably have in the neighborhood of 350 gigs on them. They've been bullet-proof so far. The only maintenance to date has been cleaning the cooling fans every so often, and I replace the wheels on the subs about ever other year.

Ozborne - How are you going to be using these speakers? Gigs, home use, etc.? . . . .

I will be using these entirely for home use. I generally play at low to moderate volume (I crank once in a blue moon when no one is home). That said, there is the possibility of playing out once in a while. While I'm looking at Yorkville as a brand, I'm also open to their YX10 and 12 passive brands. Certainly less money. I've heard good things regards their build quality, etc. Given I've spent a lot of $ on the Axe FX III and my power amp, I want to be sure to match speakers up well. A previous poster suggested I rent speakers local to me as there is a retailer who deals with Yorkville. But due to the pandemic they are not accepting 'new' rentals.

+1 for Yamaha's (even DBR10s in my case..). I compared them side by side with Yorkville and found the Yorkville to be more sluggish and boomy.

But all of this is obviously very personal and dependent on type of music plaid, context, etc..

Joce

For just home use, I'd probably look at a pair of powered studio monitors. There's no shortage of options there. I have a few different pairs of monitors in my studio. One of them is a set of Mackie HR824's that I bought probably 20+ years ago. Axe patches that I dial in on those typically translate well over most FOH systems that I play through (I run direct live).

+1 for Yamaha's (even DBR10s in my case..). I compared them side by side with Yorkville and found the Yorkville to be more sluggish and boomy.

Do you recall what model of Yorkville's you compared them to and were they passive speakers?

I have to go passive as I already have a power amp ready to drive my speakers.
Careful, this train of thought can limit your options for the same amount of money you may spend on powered studio monitors that could do a better job. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the power stage, though mostly positive. Powered monitors could simplify the setup as well. Either way could work but don’t set a hard limit.

I was going to get a ps700 til i remembered i dont want to haul a 412, skipped that and got a powercab+. Sunshine and smiles since!

I am just evaluating FRFR speakers now it is April 2020 and most YouTube etc is old now:

My criteria is to go for stereo twin speaker system whether in one cab or two cabs. I am looking at and please vote on what you think is ok:

High price. $1500 up

Mission Gemini 2 Studio stereo one cab 2 x 12 very heavy 30kg

QSC K12

Friedman ASM12

Line 6 Powercab 212

Atomic CLR

Xitone x 2

Mid price <$800

Laney FR112 x 2

Headrush FRFR12 x 2

JBL EON612

Behringer F1220D x 2

Alternatively looking at a Matrix rack stereo amp and 2 passive FRFR speakers.

Key consideration is weight, i.e. something under 20kg and watts whether solid state or RMS watts enough to be heard over a drummer.

If you have alternatives please let me know. Availability is also an issue as I am in Thailand, Xitone and Atomic are not available.

Last edited:
I am just evaluating FRFR speakers now it is April 2020 and most YouTube etc is old now:

My criteria is to go for stereo twin speaker system whether in one cab or two cabs. I am looking at and please vote on what you think is ok:

High price. $1500 up

QSC K12

Key consideration is weight, i.e. something under 20kg and watts whether solid state or RMS watts enough to be heard over a drummer.

If you have alternatives please let me know. Availability is also an issue as I am in Thailand, Xitone and Atomic are not available.

I just bought a pair of K10.2 speakers and I LOVE them! I use them with my AF3 and Nord Stage 3 Compact keyboard. Plenty of bass with the 10” speaker.

Just got a pair of K10.2 myself. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I previously had Yamaha DBR10s. I must say that so far the QSCs are much more transparent and have more headroom, maybe I would say better balanced as well. And they are obviously not even broken in, so a lot of potential for greatness!

Can I take this opportunity to ask those here who own QSCs what preset they are using? 'Default'? or 'Studio Monitors'? Or one of the 'Live' preset?

Cheers,
Joce

I just bought a pair of K10.2 speakers and I LOVE them! I use them with my AF3 and Nord Stage 3 Compact keyboard. Plenty of bass with the 10” speaker.

Video or it didn't happen! (Or sound cloud?)

Seriously, I'm considering a K10.2 for my onstage monitoring. I run IEM's, so it's more about putting a little local sound on stage (friggin' drummer plays LOUD) and getting just a touch of feedback when needed. I've even accepted the fact that my onstage presence will be monaural.

jbw

Back
Top Bottom