Input Gate (block) and Output block -- seeking better understanding

Paultergeist

Inspired
Greetings,

I continue to try to understand the AX8 a little better, and I continue to feel like I am struggling. In a nutshell: I can USE the AX8 (and have done so for gigs) but my functionality is pretty much limited to employing the existing factory Presets. When I try to create my own, I run into problems. In an effort to try an move ahead, I thought I would seek better understanding of the Input and Output blocks as a starting point.

The Input block -- as I understand it -- includes a noise gate. I'll confess that I have never used a noise gate before, but I read the manual (page 64 discusses this), and I think I can learn by experimentation. Question: Is the factory default generally setting the various noise gate parameters such that they are pretty good for most uses? In other words, should I stay pretty close to the factory settings unless I really know what I am doing?

In the Output block -- after selecting "Scenes" -- there are (8) output (volume level) sliders presented, one slider for each of the (8) scenes. Am I correct that one can adjust the level of each scene in a given Preset from within this screen? I ask because recently there was discussion that one should employ "Scene Controllers" for this function, but I never understood the rationale. Adjusting scene levels in the Output block would seem much easier...just trying to understand if there is a drawback to doing this.

Thanks very much for any insights.

Last edited:
The input noise gate is really only for noise from the guitar. Low settings (more negative) around -70 should be sufficient for most well-working guitars. Honesty turning it all the way off (Threshold counter-clock) should work well too.

As usual @chris is spot on. I run all of my clean presets with the gate off. I use a gate for my lead presets, but just enough to silence any signal noise. As far as output, I use it to balance my bank of go-to presets so that they are sound tech friendly.

Okay....thanks guys.....that seems easy enough. I will re-visit the noise gate idea if and when I have a really noisy guitar (this has not been the case). For now -- assuming I understand things correctly -- I can just set the Threshold to full counter-clockwise, and that is essentially turning the noise gate to off.
Thanks again.

Scene Controllers are used to control parameters of the various blocks when you change scenes - for example adding more drive to an amp - while the Output block controls the overall level of the entire scene.

Back
Top Bottom