Input gain controls on reverb and delay

mikeyg

Experienced
I have a question about how my routing is affecting the overall mix when it comes to my reverb and delay.

I’ve been finding the way I have things set up with a Reverb and delay after the cab that I have to turn, the mix extremely low typically less than 10%. Even then, the intensity of the effect is greater than I’d like.

So I started messing with all the available controls, and found the input gain seems to do what I want. It doesn’t change the output level. It just changes the intensity of the effect. But I’m not sure that that is the intended use of that control ; I guess it doesn’t really matter since I’m getting the desired result but I’m curious if others are using that control for a similar purpose?

Also, the axe fx has much more available control over tailoring affects than any pedal or other rack system that I’ve worked with. If your device doesn’t have an input gain control is the mix control the only option?

I’m thinking that changing the signal chain around would be able to accomplish a similar goal, and I wonder if moving delay and or reverb around in the chain would make any significant difference. I definitely would not want it before the Amps and most people agree; but what about simulating what happens when you put such effects in the loop can I do that?

I have to turn, the mix extremely low typically less than 10%. Even then, the intensity of the effect is greater than I’d like.
Then turn it lower? Or change other settings to alter the effects.

For example, try shortening the Delay Time of the Reverb.
What happens when you put such effects in the loop can I do that?
What effects loop?

But I’m not sure that that is the intended use of that control
Good question (i didn't know either), the Fractal Audio Blocks Guide states:

Input Gain – Determines the amount of signal fed to the effect processor within the block. This simulates the way an AUX Send would normally feed an effect routed in parallel. It has no effect on the dry signal. It appears on the following blocks: Delay, Megatap Delay, Multitap Delay, Ten-Tap Delay, Pitch, Plex Delay, Resonator, Reverb.

@md1234 i just found something similar to that. It wasn’t in the wiki as its own topic, just as part of another discussion

It states to set mix at 50%, output at +3db and input gain as your mix.

@unixguy I just needed finer control. This lets me get more subtle than mix at say 6%

I don’t do this all the time. Mostly with higher gain models.

For U2 type stuff, or blues, or trying to capture a live in concert vibe, I’ll use bigger mix levels

Input gain gives me finer control so I just get a couple of faint repeats

Then turn it lower? Or change other settings to alter the effects.

For example, try shortening the Delay Time of the Reverb.

What effects loop?
I was asking if there’s a virtual way to route the preamp signal out to time based effects and return to the virtual power amp. Even if there is, it’s moot for me now; I have the subtlety I want now

I was asking if there’s a virtual way to route the preamp signal out to time based effects and return to the virtual power amp. Even if there is, it’s moot for me now; I have the subtlety I want now
No, there's not.

Back
Top Bottom