Input drive and Drive block together... am I breaking rules?

Hey all,

I've been toning up a lead channel for classic rock.

Right now, I have a PVH 6160+ lead block. I've paired it with the 4x12 PVH 6160 (RW) and it sounds great.

I need more sustain though so have enabled the input drive with a 'Grinder'. I also have a drive block before the amp with an FET Boost.

Together, I've got a sweet lead tone with great amounts of sustain (it's not noisy and I have a gate block before) but I'm wondering if there may be a more efficient way?

Is the input drive basically a drive block but it uses less CPU? I've read this online but unsure if it's the case because the options of what models to use vary on each.

I can use what I have but I'm eager to learn more as always and do things as efficiently as possible - efficiency means I can go more and more crazy as I go on whilst maintaining the CPU :D

Thanks!

No kidding! Stacking gain devices will get you sent straight to guitar jail!

People stack gain pedals all the time with physical amps and pedals - no reason not to do it with your Axe FX too.

lol so I'm not 'breaking any rules' here?

the 6160 with the grinder for classic rock?? interesting....

Yeah, I only added it as a temporary measure to see how it sounded. For a lead sound, it sounds good tbh but I haven't played with the others yet. The Grinder is normally my 'go to' so it was more habit that I picked that one first.

There are no rules!

This is what I was thinking :D

In all seriousness, I'm still learning the Axe and am loving it so far. Any tips for more gain and sustain that still sounds clean and maintains clarity, would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom