Input Clipping at Gig

Johan Allard

Power User
I played a gig yesterday (firmware 6 beta - sounded awesome 😀) and noticed the input clipping light coming on. I haven't really noticed that before and I've had input sensitivity set at 15% since I can't remember when. Today when I tested at home I can't trigger this no matter how hard I try. So, the only thing I can think of is that it was ambient noise when we got excited that added to the additional input, enough to trigger the input clipping. I lowered it today to 10% just in case but was just interested if anyone else have had similar experience?

I have a SD invader pickup which is high output and i need to set the input sensitivity to like 8% to not clip, not sure why it would vary based on your location though. but even when the red light clips you still have a few dBs of headroom

Johan,

You might need to check the FM9 manual regards this...I recall reading a post somewhere on this forum that said the input clipping light lights up much sooner than actual clipping occurs. What you should do is insure that your input "tickles the red" occasionally...that's where your ideal input level is supposed to be...

This is likely possible with the preset leveling tool within FM9-Edit...simply check where your maximum volume output tickles the red, and set your MV and output level there. Depending on how much you wish to push your amp will depend on whether you work with your MV or your output level.

Did you update from Firmware version 5.x or older?

There were changes related to clip warning in FW 5.x.

Also, possible you were playing louder and maybe acoustic coupling was adding to overall volume level coming in...

Did you update from Firmware version 5.x or older?

There were changes related to clip warning in FW 5.x.

Also, possible you were playing louder and maybe acoustic coupling was adding to overall volume level coming in...
Thanks for responding guys,

I did update from v5.01 and I haven't noticed this at all before. I know gig excitement always set in and that's why I really tried to hit the strings super hard when I got home to see if I could trigger this, definitely harder than I'd ever play at a gig. And I couldn't. Must be down to acoustic coupling that adds additional input through the pickups.

I know there's plenty of headroom still to go and there was no apparent (unwanted) distortion in the signal so it's more a curiosity rather than anything else. And I've lowered the input trim because if I can avoid warnings I feel better about it.

Thanks for responding guys,

I did update from v5.01 and I haven't noticed this at all before. I know gig excitement always set in and that's why I really tried to hit the strings super hard when I got home to see if I could trigger this, definitely harder than I'd ever play at a gig. And I couldn't. Must be down to acoustic coupling that adds additional input through the pickups.

I know there's plenty of headroom still to go and there was no apparent (unwanted) distortion in the signal so it's more a curiosity rather than anything else. And I've lowered the input trim because if I can avoid warnings I feel better about it.
Input Trim or Sensitivity?

You want the latter...

I played a gig yesterday (firmware 6 beta - sounded awesome 😀) and noticed the input clipping light coming on. I haven't really noticed that before and I've had input sensitivity set at 15% since I can't remember when. Today when I tested at home I can't trigger this no matter how hard I try. So, the only thing I can think of is that it was ambient noise when we got excited that added to the additional input, enough to trigger the input clipping. I lowered it today to 10% just in case but was just interested if anyone else have had similar experience?
I've seen a handful of reports of the same problem on the forum. It's always an fm9, never a fm3 or axefx. A reboot fixes it, but it couldn't hurt to check with tech support to see if they know anything about it.

Input Trim or Sensitivity?

You want the latter...
Yeah, sorry, input sensitivity. Down from 15% to 10%. Didn't notice any difference in output level. Thanks you.
I've seen a handful of reports of the same problem on the forum. It's always an fm9, never a fm3 or axefx. A reboot fixes it, but it couldn't hurt to check with tech support to see if they know anything about it.
Ok, interesting. I've never seen it before. I have another gig next week, if it happens then I'll reboot the system in a break. Last gig I only noticed it in the last (the loudest) set though. And good to know I'm not the only one. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom