input boost question

violindave

Inspired
If I don't want to increase the drive or master volume and I need more volume and volume nob is maxed. If I switch input boost to on and I'm boosting drive as well as volume? Same with input trim? So If I just need more volume I need to add a filter and just boost the filter volume? or are there other ways to achieve more volume without changing the tone?

Anything you do with the input signal is going to affect the drive/tone of the amp.

If you simply want a volume increase you need to do it somewhere after the amp block, or at most the amp block output volume.

The Null type in the Filter block will work. You can also use a Control Switch or Scene controller on the Level modifier of any block in the chain including the Output block. I use the Cab block Level to get an increase in volume without affecting the tone.

I insert a Null type Filter block at the end of the chain and set it to +3db. I use an external switch to activate or bypass the Filter block with a tap. This gives you a 3db clean volume boost without changing the tone. Of course you could set the Filter to more or less than the 3db but that seems to be a pretty good volume increase. HTH.

Did you already change your unit from -10dBU to +4dBU? They ship with -10dBU as default. Hth

Lee

Are you wanting an on-demand boost or do you just need more overall volume?

If the latter you can increase the Level in the Amp block.

Did you already change your unit from -10dBU to +4dBU? They ship with -10dBU as default. Hth

Lee
I had not and actually don't understand when you want to do that and when not. I went ahead and changed to +4, removed the input boost and adjusted the level of the preset/scenes. I found I preferred the sound prior to the switch to +4. No idea if that was what changed the sound. IS there a difference in sound or it is just a volume thing? I'm using the Axe into Redsound stereo MF 10 monitors. Which should I be suing and why?

-10 dBV is a consumer standard for line level. +4 dBu is a professional standard for line level. The +4 dBu is a bit under 12 dB higher (almost 4 times higher) in signal level than -10 dBV. Use the one that your receiving device is designed to accept.

Changing that option on the Axe III will have no impact on the signal other than level. It is completely transparent gain.

I'd use the higher setting unless your device cannot handle it. Volume will be higher; however, the increased power may help your device "bloom." I've read about tube amps, for example, of the same make where the higher output achieves a richer sound.

-10 dBV is a consumer standard for line level. +4 dBu is a professional standard for line level. The +4 dBu is a bit under 12 dB higher (almost 4 times higher) in signal level than -10 dBV. Use the one that your receiving device is designed to accept.

Changing that option on the Axe III will have no impact on the signal other than level. It is completely transparent gain.
I tried asking this in another thread and i realize i did not understand how to ask it haha! How do you know which one your receiving device is designed to accept? Especially if you frequently play with different mixing board options

I tried asking this in another thread and i realize i did not understand how to ask it haha! How do you know which one your receiving device is designed to accept? Especially if you frequently play with different mixing board options

Almost all gear aimed at the professional audio market is designed for +4 dBu. I would expect the vast majority of mixer boards to be designed for +4 dBu. If the signal clips the inputs with the volume low on the output knob then try the -10 dBV.

Back
Top Bottom