Input block for different guitars

Marky34333

When you have different guitars with different input signals you should be able to set it as global settings and save it.
Then noise gate, EQ, signal strength should be for that guitar.

Kemper is doing it by having input block as global where all these values are saved.

While it would be nice to have as an option you can select on the unit, on the fly, you can totally accomplish this in FM9-Edit

Go to your main preset or create one to use as a template going forward --> modify the four channels of the Input 1 block to fit your 4x different guitars --> save that block in your block library with "save ALL channels" and then you could easy load it in any preset you want from the editor

With some planning you can always have these four guitar-specific input settings ready to go. Maybe not quite the same as what you want but totally workable IMO. You can also put the global input gain on your global performance page so change the strength for different guitars on the fly, it's pretty useful to balance out a tele with hot humbuckers, letting the guitar's personality shine through but with more/less juice. Try those out

I just use the block library for this. Not the same as having global blocks, but unless you never program from a computer it’s pretty quick and easy to use the block library.

There's also a global noise gate offset adjustment in the Global Settings menu. You can adjust the threshold there +/- 40dB in one place for all presets. It's also in the Editor in the Setup screen so you can add it to the performance pages too.

It would be handy to have a variable, programable input volume/eq that's not tied to presets but could be assigned to a footswitch. Or is there a way to achieve that?

The input blocks have an output level control and four channels....
^^ This - 4 switchable channels on the input block each with independant gate and output settings to accommodate up to 4 varied guitars - seems like we pretty much have it except for input sensitivity for which (at least for my fairly varied guitars anyway), a single value to suit all can be found (would be kinda cool though to have an input sensitivity override in the input1 block to make it "channelable" also)

Last edited:
It would be handy to have a variable, programable input volume/eq that's not tied to presets but could be assigned to a footswitch. Or is there a way to achieve that?

I just have an input block saved in the blocks library and each channel is optimized for particular instruments, and I always use it as my default input block (unless there is a reason to use something different for a particular preset …). You could set it to ignore scenes and assign a footswitch to toggle the channels of that input block. And/or you could do the same with an EQ block.

This will handle the input volume globally:

Setup > I/O > Input > Input 1 Gain.

Back
Top Bottom