Wish Input and output combo jack wish ...

I’m not proud to admit this, but I still don’t know which end of the mic cable is male and which is female. One end has three holes, but itself plugs into a bigger hole. The other end has three prongs that plug into three holes, yet accepts a big plug.

So, the MALE end is the part that plugs INTO the mic, correct? And the female end is the part that plugs into the board, right? :D

I’m not proud to admit this, but I still don’t know which end of the mic cable is male and which is female. One end has three holes, but itself plugs into a bigger hole. The other end has three prongs that plug into three holes, yet accepts a big plug.

So, the MALE end is the part that plugs INTO the mic, correct? And the female end is the part that plugs into the board, right? :D
XLR Male has the 3 little pins, XLF female has the 3 little holes.

The microphone has a male connection, the male side of the cable goes into the board

It's about the connection pins not the body of the connector. The male connector has the pins, the female connector has the sockets for those pins.

1671464337152.png

Another quick tip for help when connecting sound gear is that the signal always flows from male to female. The three male prongs point in the direction the signal flows.

Edit: As @mr_fender points out, this is only true for XLR male and female connections.

Last edited:
Another quick tip for help when connecting sound gear is that the signal always flows from male to female. The three male prongs point in the direction the signal flows.

For XLR yes, but not on a 1/4", RCA, or Speakon output jack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom