Inexpensive/Simple Midi Foot Controller

Peter K

I just got my FX II and am looking for a simple way to switch between presets using a midi foot controller. It sounds like the Midi-Mate is a decent choice, but I'd like something smaller and don't need a whole lot of complexity. I'm new to the midi-switching concept. Any suggestions?

If you are just switching presets a Tech 21 Midi Mouse works well. Increment and Decrement only. A Rocktron MIDI Exchange works well too and it gives you room to add two external controllers later.

I just got my FX II and am looking for a simple way to switch between presets using a midi foot controller. It sounds like the Midi-Mate is a decent choice, but I'd like something smaller and don't need a whole lot of complexity. I'm new to the midi-switching concept. Any suggestions?

Peter, Don't let MIDI intimidate you. For guitar players, most MIDI applications are simple and easy to learn and use. This is really an exciting tool, not only for all musicians, but anyone interested in remote control. There is a vast wealth of information available on the internet. Dive into it! You won't need to learn very much. With a basic understanding, your imagination will lead the way. The design of the AxeFXII practically begs you to get creative with multiple controllers, both internal and external. Give it a try...I'm willing to bet you'll have a lot fun with it.

The FCB1010 is my default recommendation, but he's looking for something small. Still, I'd say get the FCB1010 anyway and see if you can live with the size. Easy access to tons of patches and 2 expression pedals as well. If all you want to do it patch switching and expression pedal stuff, you can use the stock ROM and set everything up in a few minutes. If you need more features down the road, there are several options that will expand the capabilities. You can get them used all day for less than $125. It's a no brainer. Unless the size is a deal-breaker.
-
Austin

I agree. The FCB1010 is, for the money, the best choice on the market. I use a Roland FC-300 only because I got into VG-99 before learning about the AxeFXII. My guitar player uses an Ultra/FCB1010 and loves 'em both. Fractal came up with a great product, but many guys can't live with the price.
The FCB1010 is my default recommendation, but he's looking for something small. Still, I'd say get the FCB1010 anyway and see if you can live with the size. Easy access to tons of patches and 2 expression pedals as well. If all you want to do it patch switching and expression pedal stuff, you can use the stock ROM and set everything up in a few minutes. If you need more features down the road, there are several options that will expand the capabilities. You can get them used all day for less than $125. It's a no brainer. Unless the size is a deal-breaker.
-
Austin

Yeah, the 1010 is hard to beat. Especially for a musician on a budget. You wanted the best your money could buy so you bought an Axe FX... sans MFC. If you need a floorboard and the MFC is too pricey then the 1010 is a no brainer. For me personally the only thing my 1010 can't do that the MFC can is tuner display. Since the 1010 has not one but TWO expression pedals I can get by without it.

What about liquid foot jr? Although it's not as cheap as the fb it's ultra small...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

After more internet research and the above suggestions, I understand midi controlling better. It seems like it might be better to go with a unit with a few more options so I can further confuse myself in the future. I'm just beginning to digest the Fractal manual, so I've got a long way to go. Thanks for the input!

How's the build quality on the Behringer FCB1010? I'm surprised it's so inexpensive.

It's not too bad. I haven't really heard many complaints of things breaking down.

Biggest complaint I've seen surrounds the optical gradient of the expression pedals which have a "feature" where the initial control jumps "10" at the initial movement of the pedal. i.e. MIDI wise it jumps from 0 to 11 and so it's not totally smooth transition from off to on. I personally haven't had an issue with it but others find it annoying.

Well, I'm a bit torn. I like the FCB1010, but it may be too large for my purposes. I'm definitely ready to ramp up my knowledge and get what I can out the FX-II. Thanks for all the help.

I found a good deal on a Rocktron Midi Mate. If anybody has any cool tips on using this unit, please let me know.

I had my Midi Mate up an running after watching the video. But I must have done something wrong along the way, because now when I hit any button it mutes my sound output.

I think I need help. Anyone?

I had my Midi Mate up an running after watching the video. But I must have done something wrong along the way, because now when I hit any button it mutes my sound output.

I think I need help. Anyone?

Did you adjust settings so the Midimate's button 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 CC#s match the CC#s of certain items at the Axe-FX I/O: CTRL page?

If you put the MM intro controller mode and press buttons 5-9 you might find that one of them makes the sound return. Then you can figure out what's happening--note the CC# for that button on the MM, find all items at I/O: CTRL set to that CC#. It might be mute-bypassing a block or zeroing an input/output level.

The MM sends a saved status (off or on, 0 or 127) for those 5 buttons when you recall any preset, so you need to make sure they're set and stored (2ND, STORE) how you want the preset to initially load.

Back
Top Bottom