Indestructible acoustic flight case?

fret

Experienced
Anyone want to recommend a flight case for taking an acoustic onto aircraft where the baggage handling is done by psychopaths?

I only have one acoustic, and it's amazing. I basically don't fly with it because of the risk of damage. It also has a lot of sentimental value. And because it's now 20+ years old the wood is aging the tone nicely. So it's not something I could replace with an off the shelf acoustic.

FYI I'm in Australia.

Get a real road case. It will cost you a good bit extra to check the oversized and overweight case. Or buy a seat for it.

My .02 $
Don't bring that #1 acoustic of yours on planes - instead either 1) get a cheaper secondary acoustic to fly with or 2) get a piezo pickup mounted in one of your electrics and use that with a tone match of your #1 acoustic.
Both solutions leaves your #1 acoustic out of harms way and are much cheaper than having a custom flight case made and having to pay for the extra weight when bringing that flight case.
Option 2 also opens up a lot of possibilities to you from a performance standpoint.

In conclusion to this I ended up purchasing a cheap used PRS SE acoustic to take with me on trips. For roughly 40% of it's retail.

Even though you've gone another route, I just wanted to suggest the SKB "18" hardshell acoustic case. Mine has been kicked around quite a bit in vans/trailers/venues on various tours over the years and my Taylor was always well protected.

+1 for the SKB i8 case. Those things are lightweight, waterproof, and will keep your guitar safe. I toured with standard Anvil ATA300 cases for a long time, but for all my instruments, I've switched to the SKP i series.

Back
Top Bottom