Independent volumes for in ear monitor

clavix

Hello, I would like to know how I can listen to my guitar directly through the in-ear monitors with an independent volume control with respect to the guitar signal. Thank you

Are you using a system like the Shure PSM-300, which allows you to mix the balances of two inputs? L - band mix, R - your FM3, then you adjust the balance on your receiver. Unfortunately they will be mono.

Are you using a system like the Shure PSM-300, which allows you to mix the balances of two inputs? L - band mix, R - your FM3, then you adjust the balance on your receiver. Unfortunately they will be mono.
Hi, I don't want to use band mix. I only want to ear my Guitar through IEM. Is it possible?

Probably run Output 1 or 2 to the mixer/in ears, you can control the volume from the FM3 itself.
Hi, I have tried this option. I run output 2 for the Monitor, and Output 1 for IEM (Output 1 is hardwired through Output 1), and I have used output 2 Block. By this way, you can have the 2 volumes in a separate way. The problem is that connecting the IEM to one of the outputs is not the best option, because it lowers the volume a lot.

Looks like you have 4 choices:
1) Share Output 1 and have the mixer adjust the FOH sound once you have a good headphone level
2) Output 2 -> IEM Transmitter -> IEM's --- Output 1 - Mains
3) Output 2 -> Mains - Output 1 - Headphones
4) Some sort of attenuator to adjust the headphone out

Get a Behringer PM1 (this model specifically) and a TRS to XLR Male adaptor or short cable. TRS out of the headphone jack, XLR male to another XLR, length of your choice. PM1 has a volume knob on it to control the level. IEM to the PM1. You’ll have full stereo over a single XLR cable and a volume control on your belt.

I like using a short TRS-XLRM cable rather than a long one so I can change to whatever XLR length I need.

PM1 has no batteries and works great with full stereo using this method.

Just set a strong level for Out 1, and use the PM1 to reduce/adjust it.

keep in mind this is a PASSIVE device, it does not have an amp in it. but in my use with mixers and the headphone outputs of fractal devices, it works and provides plenty of level. i'm not sure exactly how they intend it to be used. my friends have the P2, which is a battery-powered version and i get the same level from them, and theirs is actually more noisy due to the active circuits.

it's around $40, plus whatever cable you need. very low price for a hard-wired, stereo solution from a headphone output. using a specific XLR Y Insert cable, i can also combine 2 mono sends from a typical mixer and get stereo if needed. of course a mono send works too, present on both sides of the IEM.

Last edited:
Looks like you have 4 choices:
1) Share Output 1 and have the mixer adjust the FOH sound once you have a good headphone level
2) Output 2 -> IEM Transmitter -> IEM's --- Output 1 - Mains
3) Output 2 -> Mains - Output 1 - Headphones
4) Some sort of attenuator to adjust the headphone out
ok thanks

Get a Behringer PM1 (this model specifically) and a TRS to XLR Male adaptor or short cable. TRS out of the headphone jack, XLR male to another XLR, length of your choice. PM1 has a volume knob on it to control the level. IEM to the PM1. You’ll have full stereo over a single XLR cable and a volume control on your belt.

I like using a short TRS-XLRM cable rather than a long one so I can change to whatever XLR length I need.

PM1 has no batteries and works great with full stereo using this method.

Just set a strong level for Out 1, and use the PM1 to reduce/adjust it.
perfect. thanks

It’s really too bad that the headphone out is tied to the out 1. For scenarios like this you really need an external headphone amp (Like in the PM1 or a Rolls devices or IEM receiver or something). You could have your main out to the PA / whatever come off out 2, and just use out 1 for the IEM mix but then you‘d lose the balanced XLR for FOH, and would likely want to have a direct box at that point.

Ideally, the headphone out would be a separate DA converter and block, or at least be assignable to either of the outputs. Obviously not possible with the current hardware, though.

-Aaron

It’s really too bad that the headphone out is tied to the out 1. For scenarios like this you really need an external headphone amp (Like in the PM1 or a Rolls devices or IEM receiver or something). You could have your main out to the PA / whatever come off out 2, and just use out 1 for the IEM mix but then you‘d lose the balanced XLR for FOH, and would likely want to have a direct box at that point.

Ideally, the headphone out would be a separate DA converter and block, or at least be assignable to either of the outputs. Obviously not possible with the current hardware, though.

-Aaron
OK, many thanks

Back
Top Bottom