Inception (Time) for guitar

dragnerve

Hey all,

I've just finished recording this piece and thought I'd share it here. :)

I'm kinda getting into reworking orchestral pieces and here's another!

Inception (Time) originally by Hans Zimmer, reworked for guitar by me. Hope you like it!

Inception (Time) Soundtrack by Grizzlee

Last edited:
Hi Lee
smiley-greet024.gif

Another nice piece of work fella - guitars & effects sound great and played well as usual... but as usual for me, the drums are the weak link
(.gif

So I took the wild liberty of spending a wee while putting some together for you based on what you originally did - I can stick the WAV dropbox for you if you're not too offended!?!?!
blushing.gif

I have that soundtrack, you nailed it!

Hey all,

I've just finished recording this piece and thought I'd share it here. :)

I'm kinda getting into reworking orchestral pieces and here's another!

Inception (Time) originally by Hans Zimmer, reworked for guitar by me. Hope you like it!

Batman -Inception (Time) Soundtrack by Grizzlee

I have that soundtrack, you nailed it!

I like it, very atmospheric. Nice, rich sound.

Thanks guys, glad you like it!! :)

Another nice piece of work fella - guitars & effects sound great and played well as usual... but as usual for me, the drums are the weak link
(.gif

So I took the wild liberty of spending a wee while putting some together for you based on what you originally did - I can stick the WAV dropbox for you if you're not too offended!?!?!
blushing.gif

Nah man, I'm not offended in the slightest, I'm not a drummer and I'll be the first to admit my drums are the weakest link to any track I do, but I want to get better. I'll certainly be interested in hearing what you've come up with. PM me the dropbox link and I'll check it out. Thanks for that dude!

Sounded pretty good. But could have done better playing it a bit softer. The fading in/out guitars are too rough, feels a bit out of time too on some places, and think I heard several loud pops in there, probably from bad crossovers between takes. The drums are far too dry in my opinion and machinelike, work on reverb and/or the room mics.

I'm a big fan of this soundtrack and it irks me that you completely missed the greatness of it. The dynamics. So I'm gonna rant a bit, braze yourself.
Let's compare yours to the original visually:

Inception Soundtrack - Time by Extinction-Evernight on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
It obviously gets louder and louder AND LOUDER in the original. But why can't I see that in yours?

If you're one who like looking at numbers:
First part, 0:00 - 0:30, the dBfs meter floats around -24 dBfs.
The middle part gets louder and louder until it reaches the final part at 3:00, here the dBfs meter floats around -3 dBfs.
The whole song has a RMS of about -15 dBfs.
(Method: Reaper -> Time.flac-> Voxengo SPAN, freq. analyzer)

That is a difference of 21 dbFs. Pretty crazy numbers, at least if you come from the rock scene, and that is a big reason why the song is so damn epic. I haven't analyzed your song so no numbers there but it's obvious both visually and through listening that it's lacking this crescendo.

I hope I've opened your eyes and ears to this kind of things. Macrodynamics are a very powerfull thing and can make or break a song, you're definitely not the only one missing it.

Last edited:
Sounded pretty good. But could have done better playing it a bit softer. The fading in/out guitars are too rough, feels a bit out of time too on some places, and think I heard several loud pops in there, probably from bad crossovers between takes. The drums are far too dry in my opinion and machinelike, work on reverb and/or the room mics.

I'm a big fan of this soundtrack and it irks me that you completely missed the greatness of it. The dynamics. So I'm gonna rant a bit, braze yourself.

Inception Soundtrack - Time by Extinction-Evernight on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
It obviously gets louder and louder AND LOUDER in the original. But why can't I see that in yours?

The middle part gets louder and louder until it reaches the final part at 3:00, here the dBfs meter floats around -3 dBfs.

That is a difference of 21 dbFs. Pretty crazy numbers, at least if you come from the rock scene, and that is a big reason why the song is so damn epic. I haven't analyzed your song so no numbers there but it's obvious both visually and through listening that it's lacking this crescendo.

I hope I've opened your eyes and ears to this kind of things. Macrodynamics are a very powerfull thing and can make or break a song, you're definitely not the only one missing it.

Braced myself...Wow....and relax. LOL! ;) I do like constructive criticism but I feel you've missed the point of my track somewhat. It's not meant to be a direct copy of the original, just swapping out the strings for guitars, matching db levels and crescendos... If I'd done that I might have well just copied it verbatim... to me it's just my interpretation of the peice. I'm not going to analyse the track in that much detail as I'm trying to approach it from a different angle... a side step. The way I wanted to tackle the structure and macro-dynamics of the original was to treat it like a song rather than an orchestral piece, so clean for quiet, distorted for build up, half time drums for crescendo, clean for quiet. For me it works.... others will undoubtedly disagree.

Ok, the swells are a little rough around the edges and the cleans could be a little quieter to add to the final build up. Maybe it's my ears but I'm not hearing any pops. I've soloed my take crossovers and they are all clean.... so I'm not sure what you're hearing.... I could be wrong..... maybe one got through.... I'll check again as I still need to remix this and master it.

Sorry it 'irked' you that much, however music is subjective and not everyone is going to agree with the way I treated this track. Some people dont even like the original (crazy but true!).

I agree with the comment about the drums however, yep... I'm not a drummer and yeah, the drums sound a little machine like in places but I'm (hopefully) improving on that score.

Thanks for your input though man, it IS appreciated... I just thought I try and explain why I treated the track as I did.

I thought it was killer...

Thanks man!!!

Haha this guy needs to chill, we're not all Hans Zimmer here...
Great job man I really liked it!

Plankis had some interesting points I thought about dynamics which is making me think a bit more about my own compositions. I once heard a producer say a song is like an empty house and production is the decor that make it a comfortable home to live in. The "irks" comment is a bit harsh but its not like the Internet is the most "dynamic" mode of communication. things do get lost in the translation lol.

I also agree that art is highly subjective and I enjoyed this version as well. Nice job and keep up the good work! I'm gonna request the theme from T2 lol. ;)

Dude I thought it sounded killer! I love the spacey sounds and all your ambient tones. I will agree that the drums need a little mixing, but I have the same problem you do! (Being a guitar player primarily) Everything else was blended very well though, and I really enjoyed your arrangement of it. What software are you using to record? AND - this was with an Axe Ultra?

Plankis had some interesting points I thought about dynamics which is making me think a bit more about my own compositions. I once heard a producer say a song is like an empty house and production is the decor that make it a comfortable home to live in. The "irks" comment is a bit harsh but its not like the Internet is the most "dynamic" mode of communication. things do get lost in the translation lol.

I also agree that art is highly subjective and I enjoyed this version as well. Nice job and keep up the good work! I'm gonna request the theme from T2 lol. ;)

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it. I agree, Plankis did indeed make some interesting points and yeah, I know what you mean about comunication on the t'interweb... I suffer from this all the time LOL! I have to re-re all my emails.... and I still get misundertood! hahahaha!

Dude I thought it sounded killer! I love the spacey sounds and all your ambient tones. I will agree that the drums need a little mixing, but I have the same problem you do! (Being a guitar player primarily) Everything else was blended very well though, and I really enjoyed your arrangement of it. What software are you using to record? AND - this was with an Axe Ultra?

Thank mate! Yep, all done with the AxeFx Ultra. The spacey/ ambient tone is a variation of the Velvet Sun that is already on the axe.... just mixing in a clean branch from a new input and blending it back in. As for recording software, I use Cubase 6.

Hey all,

I've re-read all the comments here and they are all great... and with those in mind I've revisted this track.

Thanks to all your input and now I think the track is alot better! Thanks guys!

As you'll hear I've now got a gradual increase in volume to where the drums kick in, edited the swells for a smoother feel (thanks Plankis for pointing these two out) and I've worked a lot on the drums too, a HUGE thanks to Cover'd (Clive) for pointing me in the right direction!)

Also, I mixed this one a little better... IMHO that is! LOL!

Inception (Time) Soundtrack by Grizzlee..... improved version!

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited:

LOL

Love the swells man. Cool cover!

Very Good.

But where are the 600 patches for each of the tracks in Standard, Ultra, and II format? :razz

Back
Top Bottom