In ears help

Lee777leee

In ears with FM9
Sound wise inspirational ?
Ideas, help please.
Play at church
I have atomic FRFR’s x2
Is the sound man able to mix the rest of music, singing into in ears ?
Ideas on buying in ears
Melbourne Australia shops etc
Cheers lee

I use IEMs with our wedding/winery/private party band. We use a Behringer XR18 mixer. I have two AUX channels that are connected to my Sennheiser wireless transmitter that goes to my stereo body pack. I have my AUX channels dialed in perfectly to give me the amount of my guitar and other instruments that I need. As the XR18 has wifi control, I can also make adjustments to my AUX channel mix as needed at the gig.

A lot of your happiness with the IEMs will depend on the quality of the IEMs and the fit. The biggest issue with less expensive IEMs is that they use simple ear bud plugs and the poor seal leads to loss of low frequencies. Most performer prefer custom fitted molds for their IEMs but those need to be fitted by an audiologist and then the mold is sent to the IEM company to install their IEM.

It will be a different experience than playing with FRFRs as it's right in your ears and you don't feel the guitar the way you do with a normal guitar cabinet. Standard IEMs can feel closed in as you can't hear anything that's not being sent through the mixer. That said, I like them much more the FRFRs.

I also use ASI Audio 3DME IEMs. These have microphones in each ear piece to allow you to mix in the ambient sound in the room. The experience is like not using IEMs at all. It's the best setup I've ever had....but they are expensive. There other IEMs that have ports in them to allow some of the ambient sound to enter and this helps with the closed in feeling. Finally, some bands use an ambient microphone that is fed into their IEM mix to help give the performers a better live experience as they can hear the audience and room sound.

I use IEMs with our wedding/winery/private party band. We use a Behringer XR18 mixer. I have two AUX channels that are connected to my Sennheiser wireless transmitter that goes to my stereo body pack. I have my AUX channels dialed in perfectly to give me the amount of my guitar and other instruments that I need. As the XR18 has wifi control, I can also make adjustments to my AUX channel mix as needed at the gig.

A lot of your happiness with the IEMs will depend on the quality of the IEMs and the fit. The biggest issue with less expensive IEMs is that they use simple ear bud plugs and the poor seal leads to loss of low frequencies. Most performer prefer custom fitted molds for their IEMs but those need to be fitted by an audiologist and then the mold is sent to the IEM company to install their IEM.

It will be a different experience than playing with FRFRs as it's right in your ears and you don't feel the guitar the way you do with a normal guitar cabinet. Standard IEMs can feel closed in as you can't hear anything that's not being sent through the mixer. That said, I like them much more the FRFRs.

I also use ASI Audio 3DME IEMs. These have microphones in each ear piece to allow you to mix in the ambient sound in the room. The experience is like not using IEMs at all. It's the best setup I've ever had....but they are expensive. There other IEMs that have ports in them to allow some of the ambient sound to enter and this helps with the closed in feeling. Finally, some bands use an ambient microphone that is fed into their IEM mix to help give the performers a better live experience as they can hear the audience and room sound.

These pair well with non custom plugs

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EATFL1-6--shure-eatfl1-6-triple-flange-universal-fit-3-pair

My working band uses IEMs with our QSC Touchmix 16. I have suffered from tinnitus (since 2017) and need to either use IEMs or earplugs (with a more standard setup). Using a Sennheiser wireless, I use custom-fit 64-Audio IEMs A6t and monitor from the board. 64-Audio uses ports in the IEMs that Lance mentioned above. I love it because there are no weird air pressure issues even when playing in the hot sun during outdoor gigs, sweating like crazy, and they are comfortable with a capital C even for extensively long-wearing periods.

Once you get comfortable playing with in-ears, you will have a consistent nightly mix and can play with far more subtlety and nuance. It is different compared to playing with a speaker cab; in my situation, I have grown to be happy using them, and given my micro-managed hyper awareness about mix and tone to play inspired - it's an excellent way to perform.

In a P&W setting, which I also do (and have done so weekly since 2007), they are fantastic because I can get enough volume without any stage bleed from a cab - a guitar cab or a monitor.

In my working band, I run sound from the stage. Generally, the process is that we have a base mix for most rooms we play, but even if we play in a new space, we have a working base starting mix. I jump off stage for the first song or two (I use wireless for guitar and in-ears). I change by jumping back up, tweaking, jumping off, and checking it. It's efficient since we've been doing this almost weekly since 2016.

When first exploring IEMs - I had the luxury of checking out the non-custom testers of many top-end brands at the NAMM show, talking to the companies, and then making my choice and ordering a custom set. I got fit for them at a local audiologist doing a mold of my ear to 64-Audio's specs and sent them to them. If I recall, it took about six weeks; they came via FedEx. I started on the A3 from 64-Audio and then moved up to the A6 two years later (2019); they offered a great deal, and I jumped at it. I liked the people at the company; they answered all my questions, and I got a great vibe from them overall when I chose. I do not regret it one bit. With both sets of IEMs I have from them, there are zero issues, and I use these things multiple gigs almost weekly.

Back
Top Bottom