In Ear Monitors: 2 way vs 3 way?

Hoping to get some opinions from touring musicians.

I have a Sennheiser 300 Series IEM Unit and am currently using generic earpieces. I want to get custom molds. I have the company chosen. The only question is 2 way vs 3 way.

Do I need all the extra bass and top end? Seems like what is gained is mostly bass in a 3 way system. Onstage my vocal and guitar get a high pass filter, rolling off 80 cycles or more depending on the situation. There is also not much useful info above 12k or so (especially since I don't want a lot of splashy cymbals in my mix). The character of the guitar and vocal are in the middle range, I believe, and that is mostly what I need to hear in my ears. I don't need to hear full spectrum audio onstage.

For anyone that has owned 2 way and 3 way earpieces: if I'm rolling off everything under 80 cycles, am I wasting money paying for the 3 way system?

For anyone that has owned 2 way and 3 way earpieces: if I'm rolling off everything under 80 cycles, am I wasting money paying for the 3 way system?

I play bass or drums sometimes and I appreciate hearing the low end bass driver in my in-ears. Personally I would get the dual drivers with an additional bass driver to be able to distinguish the tones on stage (3 total).

What company did you choose? 1964 Ears? If so, their quality is superb and you will be disappointed if you don't get the bass driver also ;) Good luck mate.

What company did you choose? 1964 Ears?

Hi IF4, thanks for the opinion. And, yes, it's 1964 Ears. How did you guess? After a lot of searching on the internet, they seem to be the best for my budget and they have some optional features I might order.

I'd like to add a follow up question... Has anyone (stage performers in full bands) ordered a set of earpieces with the "ambient holes"? This is also an option from 1964 Ears (their option comes with 5 filters). The thing is, your isolation decreases significantly. I would mostly need it at rehearsals to hear guys talking that are not on a mic. But I don't think you can just pop the filters in and out without taking the earpiece out. Anyone want to chime in on that?

Hi IF4, thanks for the opinion. And, yes, it's 1964 Ears. How did you guess?

Because they're the best ;) . The ambient holes allows you to hear the room sound along with the direct monitoring at the same time. It really depends on which room you will be monitoring in. If it's Carnegie Hall, you probably won't want them. If it's a smaller (4,000 seats or less), I might get them. I would call 1964 Ears and ask them what they recommend for your specific needs.

I'd like to add a follow up question... Has anyone (stage performers in full bands) ordered a set of earpieces with the "ambient holes"? This is also an option from 1964 Ears (their option comes with 5 filters). The thing is, your isolation decreases significantly. I would mostly need it at rehearsals to hear guys talking that are not on a mic. But I don't think you can just pop the filters in and out without taking the earpiece out. Anyone want to chime in on that?

I am surprised that 1964 has the "Ambient" feature available, but very little info about it. I would think that they would have a dedicated page about this option giving at least a picture of what it looks like and how to change the filters. Sometimes when playing a small rowdy bar, I need lots of hearing protection. But sometimes when we are rehearsing, the volume is lower and we need to chat amongst ourselves often. It seem like it would me WAY better if the "ambient hole" was adjustable from the outside instead of a replaceable filter. I think a lot more thought and testing and marketing needs to go into this. They also have a new feature to help prevent excessive volume withing the earpiece. I think this is great, except it's only available with their most high end products. Are they thinking that people on a budget don't need protection? Something like "Seat belts are only available on our Deluxe Model Vehicle". What???

I have the V3s and love em. They weren't hugely more expensive than the V2s.

As as for the ambient ports, you might want to lose the HPF when the port is open. In addition to losing isolation, you also lose low end response when the port's open.

Thanks for the tips and comments. I decided on the 1964 V3s. I am waiting for them in the mail. (I did order the ambient ports, by the way).

Loopie, Sennheiser from Chicago has a model with a mic on the earpiece and you can mix in the ambient mic from your belt pack. Sounds great. I would have loved that, but last time I checked, that model was around $2000 US dollars. About double my max budget for IEM.

As for preventing excessive volume, check the features on your transmitter. I have a Sennheiser 300 series and it does have limiting.

Also, despite any limiters and safeguards, I try to set relatively low volume and I try my best to stay there and not turn up during a show. My first choice is to lower something else in my mix or do subtractive EQ to another instrument in my mix.

I'm looking forward to getting my molded ear pieces because then I should be able to monitor at even lower levels.

You will get enough ambient from bleed in the mic's. last thing I want is a port, you will loose the seal, and I would have to assume you would then have to compensate by turning up the volume thus destroying your hearing. Panning is the key to not feeling isolated imho.

I recently picked up the v3's and really like them. I went with the port, which is basically a hole that can be plugged with an included insert. It gives me options such as when the band is fully mic'd which allows me to dial in the full mix, I use the plug. When we're only mic'ing vocals and guitar, I open the port which allows just enough ambient sound without overload.

When we're only mic'ing vocals and guitar, I open the port which allows just enough ambient sound without overload.

Another cool feature for the ambient port is if you're playing anywhere like our church, you'll have people who walk up, start talking to you while you have IEMs in and be able to hear them along with some of the room noise. Oh and they aren't mic'd so all you see is there jaw/mouth moving in tandem if you don't have the ambient ports. ;)

Congrats on the 1964 V3's Witch-man, you'll love them. Report back on the ambient ports and how they work for you!

Back
Top Bottom