Importing mp3's into an FM9

dabird42

Is there a way to import a small mp3/wav into the FM9 and have the ability to run it?
What I'm trying to do is run small song intros and sound effects. I was able to do that in my old Headrush pedalboard. I could import & save wav files thru the looper and call up any file and play it.Any insight on this would be awesome and greatly appreciated

Is there a way to import a small mp3/wav into the FM9 and have the ability to run it?
What I'm trying to do is run small song intros and sound effects. I was able to do that in my old Headrush pedalboard. I could import & save wav files thru the looper and call up any file and play it.Any insight on this would be awesome and greatly appreciated
I think you're out of luck on this. You could play something into the looper but it would be very unpractical as you would have to figure out how to input your source and then have no way to save it (the unit would have to remain on). And unix-guy just posted that as I was typing.

I think your best bet is a separate playback platform which you could either route through the 9 or via its own discrete channel.

Last edited:
I was able to do that in my old Headrush pedalboard. I could import & save wav files thru the looper and call up any file and play it.

Cliff said this 'bout that…
[2] Loopers have unique hardware requirements, i.e. lots of memory. General-purpose guitar processors like the Axe-Fx don't need the amounts of memory that loopers require and adding that memory for a single effect would increase costs, probably considerably. Furthermore the processors used in products like the Axe-Fx are limited in the amount of memory they can address. The DSP used in the Axe-Fx III is the most powerful commercial DSP available but it's still limited in its memory address space. Also, most loopers trade off bit-depth and sample rate for loop time. Therefore you're unlikely to ever find a multi-effect that has the loop time and features as a dedicated looper. If I were to make a dedicated looper I probably wouldn't use a DSP but something like an ARM with a lot of external address space. There isn't really much audio processing required, it's mostly memory access.

I think you're out of luck on this. You could play something into the looper but it would be very unpractical as you would have to figure out how to input your source and then have no way to save it (the unit would have to remain on). And unix-guy just posted that as I was typing.

I think your best bet is a separate playback platform which you could either route through the 9 or via its own discrete channel.
I do that very thing.

I added a Wish for the ability to save/load into the looper a few months back. Theoretically I don't think there's any reason why it shouldn't be possible to connect a USB stick via a USB-B > USB-A adapter to the unit and use that for storage of the .WAV files, or whatever format is preferable. A setting on the device that toggles the function of the USB between FM9-Edit/MIDI communication and USB storage (there is something similar on a couple of other devices I own, like the Boss synth pedals), would help separate the concerns.

In the meantime I've used MIDI, Control Switches and a custom FM9 Layout to communicate with the DAW on my PC, and I can do a lot more with that setup than any looper I've ever personally owned was ever capable of, but it would be "nice" to have a basic means of saving and retrieving loops without using the PC :)

I used a Digitech Jamman Stereo for playing MP3s and other clips. It has a balanced out, so just another XLR feed for the sound guy. We'd use it for recorded intros, or backing tracks we couldn't cover with our existing instrumentation.

No, but a very useful and cool thing to have. It is posible with the HEadrush units. I have the gigboard and the looper is one of the best tools in any modeler, you can import MP3 and play along them, even record over them and the export in .wav format what you have recorded, any loop for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom