Immediate Access To Tuner Using OFM9G

yes, assumed that. my concern would be to soften my volume too much mid song and mute myself. is there a way to prevent that? ie, it has to be heel down for a certain period of time?

these discussions are so helpful to newbies because some of you have encountered 'problems' that we cant even fathom yet. so your tips are truly helpful. much appreciated.
There doesn't appear to be any adjustment to the amount of time it takes for the Tuner to activate, it is immediate.

Experiment with the different Volume Tapers in the volume block. The Linear and 30A values have the most noticeable volume cut out when the Tuner engages at heel down. In a mix, I really don't see any of the values being a problem but only you can decide which one works best for you.

I just roll off my volume pedal and look at the small tuner calibrations up to the left and tune. Just that simple.

yes, assumed that. my concern would be to soften my volume too much mid song and mute myself. is there a way to prevent that? ie, it has to be heel down for a certain period of time?
Because I use it "heel down" on my 'volume' expression pedal, I do not have the Tuner mute when on.

Because I use it "heel down" on my 'volume' expression pedal, I do not have the Tuner mute when on.
ahhhhh! that's the part i was missing. i assumed you had it set to mute. thank you for the clarification. knew i had to be missing something. so once you heel down, do u do something else to mute so u can tune?

ahhhhh! that's the part i was missing. i assumed you had it set to mute. thank you for the clarification. knew i had to be missing something. so once you heel down, do u do something else to mute so u can tune?
With my volume pedal down, no sound goes through so I achieve the same result.

thanks. im kind of leaning towards setting up presets where i can only adjust stage volumes; and just leave foh levels alone. wondering if that may be a mistake. i see the benefit of what u guys are doing.

im kind of leaning towards setting up presets where i can only adjust stage volumes; and just leave foh levels alone.
A dedicated FOH engineer needs to have an un-EQ'd signal from the modeler so they can filter it as necessary for the room, since the room's acoustics are different from the stage's. It's easier and better to take things out of the sound than it is to try to put them back in once they're gone.

The only time I can see trying to manage both feeds' EQ (and maybe the levels) inside the modeler is when the band is running their own FOH from the stage. Sending that mixer an EQ'd signal will make life easier during setup.

i started w the ofm9g layout. presets up/down leads me to select a preset. once selected, i jump to scene select. then pressing a top row button displays individual fx in the bottom row. how is your strategy changing this?

I don't know how you're assigning the lower row, so I can't say what's changing.

This was the evolution of how I do it…

There are several ways we can display and control a block's bypass on a switch:
  1. Using TAP or HOLD to enable/disable it. The block type is hard-coded and doesn't change so it's unavailable if the block isn't in the grid. This is the typical situation using the Effects layout(s).
  2. Similar to the previous one, but it can be overridden with a FC Per-Preset definition and an associated Per-preset Override assignment to reuse the unused switch because it wasn't in the grid or because you want to use that particular switch for something else. This is probably how a lot of people do it, and I did, then I got tired of having to assign/move the assignments. TAP and HOLD are definable.
  3. Using FC Per-Preset definitions, defined in the order I want them to appear in the Per-Presets layout(s). They'll automatically fill the switches in the order I defined as I assigned them. If I don't want a particular block to appear I don't assign it. TAP or HOLD are also definable.
I'm deliberately ignoring using Control-Switch assignments but they can do a similar thing; I typically reserve them for controlling the bypass of multiple blocks or toggling parameters in blocks. Given that the modelers are so flexible, there are probably other ways to do it but they escape me right now.

I use #3 for two reasons:
  • Because it fits how my brain works.
  • I have an FM3+FC6, FM9 and FX3+FC12. This was the big reason: When I move the preset from one unit to another the switch assignments move with them and adjust for that FC's available switches. I got tired of readjusting the three FC assignments, and Per-Presets made it easy to define them in the preset itself then move on.
I can adjust the order of the assignments appear on the switches and mini-displays using the FC-Per-Preset manager, but, as mentioned in previous comments, that particular manager is missing drag and drop which would make it even nicer. That's been wished for so maybe we'll see it fleshed out.

Occasionally I wanted more than five switches on the FM9's lower row so I commandeered layout 8 for the overflow to let me use 12 FC-Per-Preset definitions, and added a EFFECTS >> and EFFECTS << for navigation back and forth between the two different layouts on switch 9. I did similar things for the FC6 and FC12.

Being me and constantly trying new things, I might tear it all apart later. There's a big advantage to relying on the stock layouts built into the firmware: If we're traveling and/or don't have access to Edit to reload our customized layouts, it can be a problem if we need to reset or reload. The FM3+FC6 is a prime example, because if I need to use it in the smallest space available on a stage, without the FC6, I need to revert to the built-in FM3 layout for its internal FC3, but then I'm hosed when I want to return to my customized layout when I reattach the FC6 later. I want the ability to store at least one user-defined layout in the unit, not just be able to backup and restore.

A dedicated FOH engineer needs to have an un-EQ'd signal from the modeler so they can filter it as necessary for the room
first, as always, thank you for the response. just to be clear...when u play live, you dont use eq in your presets? cuz if so, my mind is blown.

I have an FM3+FC6, FM9 and FX3+FC12. This was the big reason: When I move the preset from one unit to another the switch assignments move with them and adjust for that FC's available switches.
ok, i think i understand now! you just want to have the freedom to assign fx/blocks to a footswitch other than what's defined by default in the preset?

when u play live, you dont use eq in your presets?
For the most part I only adjust the amp to sound how I like. I might adjust EQ in various blocks if I want something to sound different than the default, but generally I like what I hear. I started doing that after looking at how the factory presets define the Cab sound… they're wide open. I wondered why since everyone worries about the lows and highs, and after experimenting I decided the adjustments didn't do much.

When setting up, I adjust the global OUT EQ for my FRFR(s) to control how they are sitting on the stage because of "speaker spaces" or "speaker modes" and how they affect the acoustics of a cabinet on the floor and maybe shoved against a back wall. (A cabinet on the floor sounds has more bass than one on a stand. One on the floor and against the wall has even more. Stick it on the floor in the corner and it has even more bass response.)

I seldom adjust much else because speakers and cabinets have a natural rolloff, which the IR captures, the guitar doesn't have a big frequency range, and, from experimenting, making additional trimming adjustments to the the cab's lows and highs doesn't really accomplish much.

This is the frequency response of Celestion's G12M…
T1221-G12M-Greenback-copy.jpg

It's already cutting how most people would do it.

This is an EVM12L…
Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 3.30.49 PM.png
Again, it's about the same.

The OLLO S5X headphones have very good, flat, response, so listening as I play and adjust the knobs shows not much happens, so I leave them alone UNLESS it's obvious they need to be adjusted.

My preferred cab choices are 1x12 and 2x12, occasionally a 4x10, so they don't have a lot of low resonance. If I played metal I might possibly do something else.

It's probably heretical, but seems to work well for my needs.

FOH gets the same signal but without any FRFR cab EQ adjustments. It's their problem what they do with it.

ok, i think i understand now! you just want to have the freedom to assign fx/blocks to a footswitch other than what's defined by default in the preset?
I'd say it differently, it's not "other than what's defined by default in the preset", because presets don't define anything for the FC, only the FC manager does. The preset remembers the Per-Preset assignments.

I want the freedom to move the preset and the assignments between units without having to readjust the switch assignments 'cause I'm lazy.

makes sense. thanks again.

btw, are you out playing live in the greater Phoenix area? would love to come out some time and show some support. appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom