Immediate Access To Tuner Using OFM9G

22 frets

Experienced
I am using the FM9 with the standard OFM9G foot switch layout. In Presets view, to get to the tuner, I first have to switch to scenes view and then I have to press and hold the lower right Tap Tempo switch. I would like to be able to streamline this so that the tuner is more quickly/efficiently available perhaps with a single tap or hold instead of two steps. Has anyone modified the standard layout to accomplish this?

You could add the tuner to preset and effects layouts. I removed the "extra step" by setting the OFM9G to automatically go to scenes when I select a preset. I find that to be a big improvement. No point looking at presets once I've chosen one. It's super-slick live, as I need to go to scenes anyway.

You could add the tuner to preset and effects layouts.
I have it as a HOLD function on switch 9. The TAP function for that switch is set to Tap-Tempo.

I removed the "extra step" by setting the OFM9G to automatically go to scenes when I select a preset. I find that to be a big improvement. No point looking at presets once I've chosen one. It's super-slick live, as I need to go to scenes anyway.
Yes, it’s almost as if the unit is reading our minds when it does that.

Has anyone modified the standard layout to accomplish this?
Oh, yeah.

OMG9 and OFM9G are useful, but are not meant to be the stopping point. If nothing else, add Layout-Links to each of the ”Presets” layout’s switches pointing to Layout 2 View 1, the “Scenes” layout.

I rewired OFM9G so instead of being able to switch to the Effects layout, it goes to the Per-Preset layout. When switching to that layout only the effect blocks I want to see will appear because I defined Per-Preset switches to them. By changing the order of the definitions I can change the order that they appear.

I did that because the Effects layout is hard coded to individual block types and often I don’t have them in a particular preset, so the switch is disabled. That’s wasted real estate, and instead of having to manually override those switches, or create Per-Preset assignments and Per-Preset overrides, I decided it made more sense to rewire which layout the “Effects” switch went to.

Last edited:
Everybody's workflow is different, but I love having tuner on heel down. My tuner is basically on all of the time, unless I am playing.

And yes - also love Layout Links, use it all of the time as well.

This is a cool approach, and I think about using it. I actually do the reverse in a way - I use the tuner to mute the signal whenever I want to be silent, whether I am tuning or not.

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for. Some really good options to try here. Appreciate everyone sharing.

Oh, yeah.

OMG9 and OFM9G are useful, but are not meant to be the stopping point. If nothing else, add Layout-Links to each of the ”Presets” layout’s switches pointing to Layout 2 View 1, the “Scenes” layout.

I rewired OFM9G so instead of being able to switch to the Effects layout, it goes to the Per-Preset layout. When switching to that layout only the effect blocks I want to see will appear because I defined Per-Preset switches to them. By changing the order of the definitions I can change the order that they appear.

I did that because the Effects layout is hard coded to individual block types and often I don’t have them in a particular preset, so the switch is disabled. That’s wasted real estate, and instead of having to manually override those switches, or create Per-Preset assignments and Per-Preset overrides, I decided it made more sense to rewire which layout the “Effects” switch went to.
This is really interesting Greg. I just need to read it 5 more times and then start experimenting with it on my unit. I think I understand it. There is a lot of functionality gained with this approach. Like I said…. If I understand it. I will reread it again after getting some sleep to see if it still seems as beneficial as it does at 1 a.m. in the morning after a four hour band practice. 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Everybody's workflow is different, but I love having tuner on heel down. My tuner is basically on all of the time, unless I am playing.

And yes - also love Layout Links, use it all of the time as well.
interesting idea. but id be dead scared id accidentally heel down mid song

greg, any chance you could provide an example of how this solves your problem? im trying to digest this. sounds interesting.

i started w the ofm9g layout. presets up/down leads me to select a preset. once selected, i jump to scene select. then pressing a top row button displays individual fx in the bottom row. how is your strategy changing this?

much appreciated.

greg, any chance you could provide an example of how this solves your problem? im trying to digest this. sounds interesting.

i started w the ofm9g layout. presets up/down leads me to select a preset. once selected, i jump to scene select. then pressing a top row button displays individual fx in the bottom row. how is your strategy changing this?

much appreciated.
I do something similar to Greg. I have 2 effects layouts that have a combination of dedicated block assignments and Per Preset Placeholders. There are blocks like Drive 1, Delay 1 & 2, and Reverb 1 & 2 that are in every one of my presets. These are assigned as block dedicated switches in effects layout 1; no matter which preset I'm on, these effects are always assigned to these switches. There are other switches that are used for Scene Toggle, Layout Link to the second effects layout and a boost switch that is assigned to a Control Switch.

In the second effects layout, all switches are assigned as Per Preset Placeholders and are assigned to blocks as needed in each preset. Using Per Preset Placeholders has an additional benefit of the Per Preset Override feature. I use this quite a bit when there's a block in effects layout two that I want access to in the first effects layout. One of the Delay or Reverb blocks is always on or off in a preset so I'll add a Per Preset Override to one of those switches.

I have a similar approach with per-preset layouts as Greg and JokeR, but i have just two dedicated buttons, one for Solo and one for Tap/Tempo... the other 7 are per preset #1-#7. And i have the tuner on heel down of my volume/exp pedal.

Question: are you also missing the drag/drop feature for switches in the Per Preset Page in F**-EDIT, to rearrange PP switches without changing the layout? (I couldn't find a wish)

Last edited:
Question: are you also missing the drag/drop feature for switches in the Per Preset Page in F**-EDIT, to rearrange PP switches without changing the layout? (I couldn't find a wish)
Drag and drop to swap per preset footswitches would be nice. Right now I copy the destination PP to a 3rd location, copy the source to the destination, copy the 3rd location to the source, then delete the 3rd location.

I also do something similar as far as a modified OFM9G layout. The top 3 buttons on my layouts are: Scenes, PP 1-6, and Presets, and as per usual each one shows the corresponding layout with the bottom 6 switches changing function. My twist on it is when I press one of the top 3 buttons, the target layout has a different function for that button while the other two buttons stay the same:

Scenes > "more" (shows the last 2 scenes)
PP 1-6 > PP 7-12 (shows PP 7-12 on the bottom 6 switches and vice versa once pressed)
Presets > Bank up (the two right switches are bank up + bank down so I use bank size 5). This layout uses layout links on the 5 preset buttons to automatically return to the scenes layout once a preset is selected.

I also set up the top right button to be "hold for tuner" in all layouts for home use but my GLXD6 is an always-on tuner for live. I usually build presets for every song so I don't need tap tempo, but I have it on the master layout regardless. Even if I don't, I can still use my two per preset layouts like a pedalboard in real time.

Last edited:
Leon (@2112 ) put out a video on this subject just today. He demonstrates his one step tuner access during the video. Just need to edit your setup for that one thing, if wanted.

The 'Tuner Heel Down' is typically used with a pedal assigned as the volume control. ;)
yes, assumed that. my concern would be to soften my volume too much mid song and mute myself. is there a way to prevent that? ie, it has to be heel down for a certain period of time?

these discussions are so helpful to newbies because some of you have encountered 'problems' that we cant even fathom yet. so your tips are truly helpful. much appreciated.

I use an external switch for tap tempo/tuner set up as a stand in switch. That way, I don't worry about those functions having to be on any layout.

Back
Top Bottom