I'm really interested in the axe fx3 but...

i was saying that the kemper was the inferior device x) that's why i'm complaining to have to buy it for the van halen tone exclusively.
For every modeler there will be people that are happy. And you can't compare the way profilers work against amp or fx modelers. Also Kemper is not inferior compared to axe fx, as that is comparing apples with banana's.

Having said that: after working many years with digitech artist, line 6 till helix and last years axe 2 and now 3 for me it's clear that you can make almost any sound with the axe fx and have very very authentic amps and effects. There are so many amps in the axe fx that could be used. For every timestamp of sounds and amps there are models. And those AMPS could be tweaked to almost any way imaginable.

What most people forget is that the sound on a record or every recorded sound is difficult to reach as you have to have or know the way it was recorded. It's not only the AMP or the effects.

• Cabs and microphones used
  • distances and angles
  • which mic amplifier used
  • the room or environment it was recorded
  • the volume and gain changes

and not to forget the strings, guitar, PU's, etc.... and last but not least : the fingers ;)

Using presets from others will only work if some items are similar. And what you see on You Tube is the recording as intended by the maker. But when used in your own environment will not work at all. That is not because of the maker or device is incorrect, but there are too many variables not alligned.

Similar that I can get many many sounds on my end in the ballpark of a specific song and when I post this preset lot's of people do NOT like my preset.

But i'm really sure that when you do your homework for the sound YOU want to achieve. That means you need to find the amp, settings etc,, but even more have the correct IR's or when using a cab, similar cab. Except some studio equipment that's not in the axe fx. But even there you can finetune your sound where you can include tonematch. But you have to take some time to make it to your likings ALSO when using presets from others.

Besides profiling (which will be the easiest way to have a specific sound) but then there is also the feel and what will happen if you wanna do small changes to the profile. The Helix and AXE FX will have better options. Most profilers will lack in effects or rolling of guitarvolume etc..

But if you are ONLY looking for EVH specific sounds and you can find this with a profiler and your happy: then buy a profiler like kemper, neural dsp or Tonex.

For every modeler there will be people that are happy. And you can't compare the way profilers work against amp or fx modelers. Also Kemper is not inferior compared to axe fx, as that is comparing apples with banana's.

Having said that: after working many years with digitech artist, line 6 till helix and last years axe 2 and now 3 for me it's clear that you can make almost any sound with the axe fx and have very very authentic amps and effects. There are so many amps in the axe fx that could be used. For every timestamp of sounds and amps there are models. And those AMPS could be tweaked to almost any way imaginable.

What most people forget is that the sound on a record or every recorded sound is difficult to reach as you have to have or know the way it was recorded. It's not only the AMP or the effects.

• Cabs and microphones used
  • distances and angles
  • which mic amplifier used
  • the room or environment it was recorded
  • the volume and gain changes

and not to forget the strings, guitar, PU's, etc.... and last but not least : the fingers ;)

Using presets from others will only work if some items are similar. And what you see on You Tube is the recording as intended by the maker. But when used in your own environment will not work at all. That is not because of the maker or device is incorrect, but there are too many variables not alligned.

Similar that I can get many many sounds on my end in the ballpark of a specific song and when I post this preset lot's of people do NOT like my preset.

But i'm really sure that when you do your homework for the sound YOU want to achieve. That means you need to find the amp, settings etc,, but even more have the correct IR's or when using a cab, similar cab. Except some studio equipment that's not in the axe fx. But even there you can finetune your sound where you can include tonematch. But you have to take some time to make it to your likings ALSO when using presets from others.

Besides profiling (which will be the easiest way to have a specific sound) but then there is also the feel and what will happen if you wanna do small changes to the profile. The Helix and AXE FX will have better options. Most profilers will lack in effects or rolling of guitarvolume etc..

But if you are ONLY looking for EVH specific sounds and you can find this with a profiler and your happy: then buy a profiler like kemper, neural dsp or Tonex.
I think those are true statement. In my place would you wait for the new axe fx or new kemper units as they are already old ?

i was saying that the kemper was the inferior device x) that's why i'm complaining to have to buy it for the van halen tone exclusively.
My bad, I'm sorry! That was the original meaning in my head but then for some reason I've misinterpreted the next time around.
I didn't want to come off stand-offish, it's just that the Axe III is the device that generates so much envy from people who are aficionados of other units that I felt like it was a similar comment.

I think those are true statement. In my place would you wait for the new axe fx or new kemper units as they are already old ?

Do you want only EVH sounds and specific per song and you can find those profiles for Tonex AND you have limited money and profiles are OK for you: I would choose profiles.

If you want flexibility to have those tones but also use different drives or effects: I would definitely go for a modeler and not for a profiler. For everything I tried last years (including kemper, helix, tube amps) the AXE FX 3 is the best one in a box solution with more then enough in & outputs to use any other gear you want. I also see great Helix vids online, but when using it myself I could not deal with the sounds, but especially the feel. The feel of the AXE FX 3 (FM3 & FM9 use same modeling platform) is really really GREAT!

My only and really the only thing I did not get to my liking (yet!) is a specific dirty FUZZ sound. There is something in a fuzz (somewhere I read that a fuzz interacts also with your guitar and I'm not sure this can be replicated in axe fx) besides the fact I'm talking about recorded fuzz tones as I never owned a real fuzz. The rest is finding the correct IR's & Impedance settings, but if you start tweaking you can get most every (recorded) sound. Only when using a real cabinet will make amp in the room sound & feel. But that goes for all modelers & profilers.

But really everything else is TOP NOTCH and from FW 20.X onwards I do not need to tweak any amps other then setting speaker compliance and AC cycle at 50. But that is a very personal thing that works for me, but that is not a real tweak. That is taste ;) And I found my way of using it home with Adam Speakers and with my MF10 for gigs & rehearsels.

By the way: Have you ever used or owned a modeler or a profiler?

I'm of the mindset that you NEVER buy anything you're not 100% sure about. We all own ours because we knew it's what we wanted. They're not cheap and it sounds like you just to want turn it on, plug in, and get going. While that's certainly possible, there's some effort required in learning how to use this gear effectively and if you turn it on and don't get what you want instantly, you might be disappointed. It's not reasonable to expect that from any piece of gear, IMO. You have to decide how much work, if any, you're willing to put in. The Axe FX is very very far from being a one-trick pony

I'm of the mindset that you NEVER buy anything you're not 100% sure about. We all own ours because we knew it's what we wanted.
Sorry, but I disagree.

Many people here, myself included, were NOT sure when we took the plunge.

In my case, I made a deal with my wife: I'll buy the Axe Fx II but I need 6 months to see if it works. If it does, my other gear gets sold. If it doesn't, the Axe Fx gets sold.

I'm coming up on 10 years in a couple months. It took less than 6 months to get my answer and the other gear is long gone!

Since then, I've had Axe Fx II, Axe Fx II XL+, Axe Fx III, FM9, FM9 Turbo and FM3 (and MFC-101 mkIII and 2 EV-2s).

I'm of the mindset that you NEVER buy anything you're not 100% sure about. We all own ours because we knew it's what we wanted. They're not cheap and it sounds like you just to want turn it on, plug in, and get going. While that's certainly possible, there's some effort required in learning how to use this gear effectively and if you turn it on and don't get what you want instantly, you might be disappointed. It's not reasonable to expect that from any piece of gear, IMO. You have to decide how much work, if any, you're willing to put in. The Axe FX is very very far from being a one-trick pony
I must admit that what interests me on the axe fx is the tons of effects and particulary the dytronics chorus. I mean it is a swiss knife of guitar amplification. My issue is that when i pick a guitar i always play or noodle things like van halen, dokken, ratt etc... But sometimes i have the urge to play different things like hendrix, dann huff, landeau... And even surf guitar... yes... haha. The kemper is nice because it lets you capture a specific tone but it is very limited however it excels at it x)...

Sorry, but I disagree.

Many people here, myself included, were NOT sure when we took the plunge.

In my case, I made a deal with my wife: I'll buy the Axe Fx II but I need 6 months to see if it works. If it does, my other gear gets sold. If it doesn't, the Axe Fx gets sold.

I'm coming up on 10 years in a couple months. It took less than 6 months to get my answer and the other gear is long gone!

Since then, I've had Axe Fx II, Axe Fx II XL+, Axe Fx III, FM9, FM9 Turbo and FM3 (and MFC-101 mkIII and 2 EV-2s).
Totally get it. That's how I make decisions. I'm not saying everyone should do it my way. Making a choice stands a better chance of being successful when you do your homework. That's my angle. We all need to do things in the way that works best for us as individuals

Totally get it. That's how I make decisions. I'm not saying everyone should do it my way. Making a choice stands a better chance of being successful when you do your homework. That's my angle. We all need to do things in the way that works best for us as individuals
Yes, definitely. Do your homework! Research as much as you can.

I must admit that what interests me on the axe fx is the tons of effects and particulary the dytronics chorus. I mean it is a swiss knife of guitar amplification. My issue is that when i pick a guitar i always play or noodle things like van halen, dokken, ratt etc... But sometimes i have the urge to play different things like hendrix, dann huff, landeau... And even surf guitar... yes... haha. The kemper is nice because it lets you capture a specific tone but it is very limited however it excels at it x)...
I can confidently say that with some effort, the Axe FX III will do it all for you and open up other possibilities for you. It has earned its status in our world for good reason. It's literally the one piece of gear I own that I would not sell (unless the Axe FX IV comes out LOL)

Hello i really want to buy an axe fx 3 because of the infinite tools it has like its wonderfull dytronic chorus copy and son on.

I'm sure it is actually the best option for guitarists.

However i almost play 70% of the time van halen songs and despite many people saying they can recreate the brown sound with the axe fx 3 i'm always unimpressed by the result.

there is a something that makes the brown sound special it is a speaker couhing sound like if the speakers are being overloaded.

here you can clearly hear that sound it is almost like a fizzy sound.

And this sound i can't find it in every axe fx3 demo of the brown sound.

until now the only virtual device being able to reproduce this sound is the kemper threw the top jimmy profiles :

this is a future version of the top jimi van halen profile and i might say it is really spot on.

i just want to find an equivalent axe fx 3 sound to this but i still can't find it.

i hope people share some soundclouds or other.

I'm wondering if someone could prove me wrong for me to not waste money on an inferior device (the kemper is the inferior one)...

Because unfortunately this top jimmy profile might be enough for me to buy a kemper instead of an axe fx 3 x)...

I'm hesitating between both. I consider the axe fx 3 as an overall better unit the choice is tought.

It boils down to which is more important; the convenience of getting the tones you want right away (Kemper) or having to tweak the device to get them (Axe III). The Axe III is capable of any tone you want but will require some tweaking to get what you need. 3rd party presets will likely require some refinement to get exactly what you want.

Another thing to consider. While the Axe III doesn't have the ability to profile an amp, there is a Tone Match block that can be used to get closer to a specific tone. Again, it will require some time on your end but the results can be worth it.

What do you mean ?

that's the closest i get with bias fx :

that's was my bray 4550 :

but i sold my bray to go full digital xd I also build my own amps now. The bray was more like made only for unchained the tone was spot on. for the rest of vh songs it was too fizzy and harsh.

The bray misses the mark on the drop D in Unchanged.
If you listen to the original-just that note- you can hear the speaker being overloaded.

I know someone with a Kemper and he has all those TJ VH profiles. I played through them and they all sound the same to me. And none of them are very accurate. They’re more in the vicinity of the VH I sound and even that’s not exactly on.

There are a number of presets and related videos for Van Halen throughout the forums and on AxeChange. Here are some that caught my ear:
There are more out there so dig around. Turn up the volume when listening because it makes a big difference.

The thing with any "artist" preset is that the artist would sound like themselves using pretty much any amp or preset. It's not the preset, or equipment, it's the brain and what it does with the fingers. Get into their head, play similar things, use a preset to get closer to the final sound and people will come up and say "WOW you sound just like him!"

Back
Top Bottom