I'm looking for the loverboy tone on turn me loose.

It's so funny watching the videos from my era... the guys all looked like they were gonna go all man-whore on each other... LoL!!!

Some of these facial expressions and crap... ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listening back, that guitar player has great tone in the studio!
It is solid all day long! You can hear every note, unlike so many tones you hear on the radio today.

Sadly, I have no idea, but "Turn me Loose" is a great piece of popular music. I listened to it again, , and that made me wonder: Given that there is so little guitar in the song (it's strong point), nearly any tone should sound awesome and "pop" in the mix. Anyway, this is not to discourage you from finding the tone, but suggesting that you just directly proceed with your cover, I suspect it will sound awesome....

Started playing this in between songs at rehearsal the other week and everyone went mad at me, not just because I was a guitarist that couldn't be quiet for more than 10 seconds, but because none of them could get it out of their heads after they hard it. Great tune and that guitar ...

Listening back, that guitar player has great tone in the studio!
It is solid all day long! You can hear every note, unlike so many tones you hear on the radio today.

Bruce Fairbairn produced Loverboy and it was engineered and tracked by Bob Rock.

Bob's guitar tracking (and re-amping) are legendary.

I saw Loverboy back in their "hey-day" ( mid '80's ) and if I recall correctly, Paul Deen was using HiWatt amps live. In the studio though, I have no idea. I found an interview from 2012 and here's what he said about his equipment:

Paul Dean: "GHS Boomers 12,13,16,26,36,48. Gibson T500 pickups on all my guitars, Strats or Les Pauls. Marshall 900 50 watt - 4500. Four Marshall 1960 cabs, A&B. Sennheiser wireless. TC Electronics G-System. Dunlop 60 picks. The head's been modded, as have all my guitars. The biggest variable ? Soldering the pickups to the 500K audio taper volume pots. If not done perfectly, you lose gain."

Last edited:
I would start with the 70's Marshall 100 Watt into Greenbacks.

Put a filter block in front and use a peaking filter at 626 hz +5 to +7db. Start around 625 but you might go as high as 750hz. It doesn't sound like a 1K boost. The 1K boost is real popular with 80's hair metal bands.

Post amp and cab, try a GEQ passive 5-band EQ and boost the high mids and highs enough to bring in that bite.

Try this one out.......It's what I would use. Converted to 'AX8' format from my 'Axe-Fx ll, Mark 1' with 'FracTool' 2.18. Removed all modifiers. Use the 'User' cab IR included.

Scene #1.....Main rhythm
Scene #2.....Solo

Attachments

• Turn Moke Loose (3.02) 'AX8'.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 97
  • M75+H75+SB (Moke) 'AX8'.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom