I'm Leaving....

I just got back from visiting my sister who lives in West Virginia (close to the infamous Rainbow Roadhouse). My first time visiting there. What a beautiful state.

I just got back from visiting my sister who lives in West Virginia (close to the infamous Rainbow Roadhouse). My first time visiting there. What a beautiful state.
Drove through WV a year ago January. Sadly didn't have time to sightsee. Drove right past Oak Hill, which is near where my mom was born. Lots of ancestors there, going back to the 1750s....

Last edited:
Drove through WV a year ago January. Sadly didn't have time to sightsee. Drove right past Oak Hill, which is near where my mom was born. Lots of ancestors there, going back to the 1750s....
Very cool! Would love to get back there, our family has some pretty cool history. I have ancestors who were involved in the founding of Harvard University and Paul Revere's ride.

Sometimes these journeys can have a large impact on your emotional as well as physical health. Stay safe, stock up on the Airborne and bottled water and squirrel away some extra tissues if you must. Extra sleep will be a blessing.

it was first recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary back before he decided to become a performer. I actually like their version better.
Yes, I read somewhere that Gordon wrote Early Morning Rain with P,P&M in mind - of course, as a Canadian, I prefer Lightfoot's performance, but their version is great also (rip Mary, Gordon).

One of my favorite musical memories is playing guitar and singing PP&M's version of Leaving on a Jet Plane with my sister at an end-of-year school assembly a few weeks before moving out of town and away from our friends. We were both well-known in our small town school and this song was only about 3 years old and still very popular. We were a hit. That was the first time I got a standing ovation and now that I think about it, it was the last time I performed with my sister.

I imagine many of us of a certain age were an active part of the Great Folk Music Scare of the Sixties (as the late great Martin Mull put it..) and the PP&M version was certainly part of my earliest troubadour coffeehouse sets….Poor John shoulda stuck to the commercial jets..his solo flights did not turn out well for him

Back
Top Bottom