I'm kinda sold on using an Xotic Super Clean as an "always on" pedal before my FM9.

The last week I've been trying this Xotic pedal out before the modeler with different presets and various gain settings on the pedal, and wanted to share my thoughts. First of all I've been using modelers for about 4 years, starting with the Axe FX II, followed by a FM3, Helix, and currently a FM9. In the past I have also generally despised the notion of using any pedal "always on" pedal. I have always run straight from my guitar into the modeler, which I assume has no preamp section on the input and firstly does an A/D conversion. Any preamp block you add in the FM9 is going to be affecting the digital signal AFTER it's already done the digital conversion. There's a well known presumption that in any guitar rig there's some signal loss happening between the guitar and the modeler or amp, through impedance of the cable, length of the cable, gauge of the cable, etc. This usually gets worse with more pedals/longer cable lengths. Enter the Xotic Super Clean, which seems to add back what's being lost, or at least to me it sounds like without the Xotic on it's a "lower resolution" than when the pedal is engaged, using the analogy of a photograph. There's noticeable "something missing" when the Xotic is disengaged after using it for a while. I have used other buffer pedals in the past, some that are much cheaper than the Xotic. I can't compare them, but it seems to me that the Xotic adds some kind of extra "magic" to the tone that I didn't get out of the others. I have the gain on the Xotic set around 10:00 position, and there is some gain boost, which I'm actually pleased with. I've found the JTM45 model to be lacking as much gain as I like, and adding the Xotic brings it right into the "sweet spot", so to speak. I can roll back the volume on the guitar for edge of breakup or a clean tone. I've had to re-adjust the input level in the FM9 global settings, as well as the levels on the presets I use by using the preset leveling feature. Anyway, just wanted to share since it's a real game-changer for me at the moment. I haven't even payed with the 4 dip switches on the pedal which tweak the tone a bit, but I might try the low cut switch on it since certain amp models have an increased bass response with it.

Here's a good video I found that convinced me to try it:

So you use the actual pedal? Why not just use the amp block input boost or a drive block for that? If you explained why you use the actual pedal, then I may be too hard headed to understand 😂😂😂

I've put a lot of money into gear after seeing PT demo it. He's killing my bank account. Though he is generally on-point, and I've rarely been dissatisfied. I still use the Unit67 after he recommended it, and it's KILLER.

My assumption for Super Sweet and Super Clean is that they compress a bit and boost upper mids a bit, both of which are generally associated with sounding "better". Probably sounds great. Glad you're happy with it! Possible that the compressor block or comp+PEQ blocks could give a similar result for people who don't want the outboard gear.

The Super Clean has a subtle mid hump by default. It is also a really good always-on buffer.

For a while, I was running it in front of an FM3 too; because I have low output pickups. I liked it.

Since switching to the FM9, I don't bother using the Super Clean anymore because I can turn up the FM9's A/D Sensitivity on input 1, which allows me to "tickle the red" without any external help. I do use boost and drive pedals ITB, though. I tweak the mids to my liking in various parts of the signal chain within the FM9.

My guitar (Cutlass) has an in-built buffer, so I don't really need another one before the input.

Anyway, if you have enough signal to the input and you don't need the benefits of a buffer before the input, then it's possible to get similar results in-the-box, IMO. Then again, if you're already very happy with the Super Clean and working this way, that's awesome :)

Last edited:
There are a number of great "always on" pedals, I have used a TC mini spark, EP booster and even an OCD (into an Orange amp). Their use has little to do with tone loss of the cable and all to do with the subtle (or not so subtle), tone shaping and boost/dirt they offer.

Personally i think that every single "clean boost" or "always on" pedal can be replicated in the Axe Fx, however if your subconscious rationale/prejudice/fear is based on tone loss of a guitar cable then I would recommend the Dunlop CAE Line Driver.. afaik it's the only pedal that is clean, flat and capable of driving a complex load without coloring the sound.

If it sounds good, it is good. At the end of the day, if that pedal gets you where you want to be in terms of tone and workflow, then it is the right choice for you.

Would the closest thing in the fractal units be the neutral input boost?
Or a higher input level in the global settings, if it's supposed to be always on for everything.

If the SuperClean has an EQ bump in the mids, then maybe use a PEQ block.
I might run a tonematch on my SuperSweet just to see what the EQ curve looks like... but we already know that one does do some tone shaping.

Funny that they call this a mid boost, as mids are 250-2kHz. Looks like a treble boost to me.

Yes, I've always thought that was odd, and was surprised to see that graph in the manual.

I've used the Super Clean a great deal, and that graph looks different to how I imagine it when I'm using the pedal. Sounds great though!

@guitaroholic The default mid-boost of the Super Clean is presented in the manual:

View attachment 115470

Source: https://xotic.us/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/scmanual_web.pdf

Obviously you could tone match more accurately and generate a nice PEQ block; just thought you might be interested in what the mid hump looked like.
This is interesting. I bought mine used so didn't have the manual. It seems contrary to my actual experience though... when I use it in front of my FM9 it darkens the tone and seems to cut the highs, not boost them.

So, I guess if you have both the high mid boost and high cut on you are simultaneously boosting and cutting the high frequencies at the same time.

Last edited:
The Chase Tone Secret Preamp is like that for me. Once you have it on, you hate to turn it off. It just ends up being an “always on” box. I haven’t used it with the FM9T yet, but I’m sure the result would be the same. Always is!

The Chase Tone Secret Preamp is like that for me. Once you have it on, you hate to turn it off. It just ends up being an “always on” box. I haven’t used it with the FM9T yet, but I’m sure the result would be the same. Always is!
I had to look that up after I found it nowhere in the FM9 :)

qqdyhggsnrckaemnoofi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom