I'm I hearing things? Taking crazy-pills? Placebo effect?

BCnSTL

Inspired
I've only had an Axe II for a few weeks (it shipped with 10.01, I updated it to 10.02). I've been playing it extensively but I haven't been loving it.
It seemed like every combo of amp/cab had some weird nasal (sometimes higher frequency) peaky thing happening.
I tried using the character control, EQ, different mic pres, different audio interfaces - never getting results I was OK with, let alone thrilled by.

Out of ideas, I contemplated sending it back to get looked over. Before doing so I downloaded 10.02 again and updated it using Fractalbot.

Yeah, now it sounds pretty killer. The nasal/honky thing is gone.

Does that even make sense? Could a firmware update reset something that I had inadvertently done?

Oh well. Now I finally get a sense of what the fuss is about, I was regretting selling my Axe STD for a while.

You didn't mention...did you use Axe Edit to update the first time or was that also with Fractalbot?

Were you using your own presets from a previous firmware? Did you reset the amp block in that case? Did you make sure the global EQ was neutral?

I do understand the nasal comment, even if it's not related to those things. With my current presets (I'm redoing all of them with V10) I notice I have to put an EQ block before the amp block to scoop out annoying mids. I'm struggling a bit more to get the sound to go where I want (especially with high gain patches), trying to make sure the sound has some body without losing clarity and definition. Possibly (probably) I suck at dialing in presets, but I don't recall having to invest the same amount of effort when I was on V9. It's definitely a fun puzzle though! :)

I notice I have to put an EQ block before the amp block to scoop out annoying mids. I'm struggling a bit more to get the sound to go where I want (especially with high gain patches), trying to make sure the sound has some body without losing clarity and definition. Possibly (probably) I suck at dialing in presets, but I don't recall having to invest the same amount of effort when I was on V9. It's definitely a fun puzzle though! :)

Yeah, the right amount of scoopage certainly is a challenge to me with high gain patches. I can't seem to get there with only amp sims and cabs; I always end up using an eq in the chain. Currently I'm trying out Redwirez impedence curves for some (hopefully) nice results.

The input impedance setting can affect that if you have passiv pickups and go straight in.

I've only had an Axe II for a few weeks (it shipped with 10.01, I updated it to 10.02). I've been playing it extensively but I haven't been loving it.
It seemed like every combo of amp/cab had some weird nasal (sometimes higher frequency) peaky thing happening.
I tried using the character control, EQ, different mic pres, different audio interfaces - never getting results I was OK with, let alone thrilled by.

Out of ideas, I contemplated sending it back to get looked over. Before doing so I downloaded 10.02 again and updated it using Fractalbot.

Does that even make sense? Could a firmware update reset something that I had inadvertently done?

Oh well. Now I finally get a sense of what the fuss is about, I was regretting selling my Axe STD for a while.

you should just do system reset.

Back
Top Bottom