I'm Back!

Not that any of you missed or knew me. Anyhow a little over a year ago I had an Axe FX and was on the waiting list for the 8. Anyhow I sold the axe last march and just finally have jumped back in the digital game. Plan on ordering a XiTone. I had Atomic reactors the tube powered one last time and they were fine but just had no headroom.

How much do I have to throw at it to max the processor. I know reverb and delay eat up the space and I like both but not to any major effect so I am hoping I am good with that.

Anyway just excited to be back in the fractal family of users again.

Not necessarily. The normal quality reverbs still sound good. Turning down the echo density also reduces the CPU load from reverbs.

Sometimes you can also turn up diffusion in the delay block to create a bit of reverb like wash instead of adding a separate reverb block as well.

Last edited:
seriously, just use normal res versions of the cab and reverb. in numerous test where no one knows if something is "less than high quality," the normal versions of everything sound amazing. it's only when you tell people "one of these might sound different" is when people look for something that sounds worse.

It's that bad?

AX8 was design for live use first and foremost, so lowering the quality of the Reverbs and turning Ultra Res to Normal Res will not impact the live tone that much.

If you are aiming at using all at full quality including the Chorus and expect a Axe FX II level of complexity in the patches, AX8 is not for you.

That is why I got it. I know what I signed up for with it. I don't think I ever came close to maxing out my AXE this having less CPU was never an issue vs the form factor which is more important to me.

I would say that it's not that bad. You can fill the grid with FX and still have CPU to spare, but some FX take up a lot of CPU. If you run high quality reverb with the highest settings, it will cost ~35%. But it only m makes sense to run that quality, if it's you star FX on a given patch. If it's just a little ambience in the background, you loose nothing by lowering the settings or even switching to the multi delay.
Other CPU hungry FX are the drives and the rotary.
I always run my cabs at ultra res, but I rarely run stereo cabs.

I have never had issues with CPU building one preset per song. It happens only, when I try to do presets that do everything

Not that any of you missed or knew me. Anyhow a little over a year ago I had an Axe FX and was on the waiting list for the 8. Anyhow I sold the axe last march and just finally have jumped back in the digital game. Plan on ordering a XiTone. I had Atomic reactors the tube powered one last time and they were fine but just had no headroom.

How much do I have to throw at it to max the processor. I know reverb and delay eat up the space and I like both but not to any major effect so I am hoping I am good with that.

Anyway just excited to be back in the fractal family of users again.
Welcome back you've made a great decision to return home my AX8 is truly Ann amazing device I'm not a power user yet like so many others here in the community however I have dabbled in several HD presets with usual modules and have had no issues with CPU overload, have fun!

Back
Top Bottom