i'll tell you something you already know

ok, here is a quick example preset of what i'm talking about doing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzcako1s8d46ipz/Van Halen I.syx?dl=0

scene one is the basic tone as heard on the cd. i used the song "you really got me" to work with.
scene two adds a phaser.
scene three adds a flanger for "atomic punk" effect.
scene four adds a delay for fun solo playing.

try turning off the tonematch for a thicker studio tone that might be better to jam with,
turn off tonematch and the eq for a warmer tone.

Good evening, i'm having trouble downloading the preset. It keeps downloading as a "txt". I've tried everything, any help would be appreciated.

Easy, download it and change the extension from .txt to .syx
Thanks for the advice. I must be lame cause i tried it and it's still being saved as .txt. i tried downloading it a different way and it saves under an "html". oh well. no big. thanks again

Thanks for the advice. I must be lame cause i tried it and it's still being saved as .txt. i tried downloading it a different way and it saves under an "html". oh well. no big. thanks again

For dropbox, you have to click on the link and then click on the download button in drop box.

You can't "Save As..." a dropbox link.

here is another preset to try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1rz686erqk72be/King's X Gretchen.syx?dl=0

i did this one before years ago, but it didn't sound right on quantum, so i redid it. changed amp models and a few other things. basically started from scratch. i was looking for an amp that cleaned up a little better when rolling down the guitar volume.

scene 1 is the main tone
scene 2 is the lead tone.

and you must have single coils for this to sound right. i used a Fender American strat to make the preset.

what barh said, but also you should be able to just change the file type by deleting the .txt in the name and/or adding .syx

i just tried the link and it downloaded as syx for me with no problem. not sure what's going wrong for him

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I've been able to download presets from dropbox before but for some reason my iMac keeps on saving it as a "plain text" instead of a document now. I've clicked the link, hit the download button and removed the txt and just left the syx and still can't get it. No biggie.

This is excellent! I'm trying to build good James Hetfield/Metallica crunch and clean patches but I use a Mesa power amp and cabs instead of the sims in the Axe so all the presets I have downloaded so far take so much tweaking that it's easier to start from scratch. I still can't get something in mine that they need. I have heard other samples on here that nail what I want without a TM but something like this would allow me to start with the base parts without the tonematch and shape it to my own setup.

done. presets in the works.

one thing that i'm gonna do on the axe-fx II that can't really be done on anything else is make artist presets with alternative options.

example: Van Halen I preset - first i dial up a plexi and and cabinet combination that gets me close enough to the artist tone that i can fake it well. then i add tonematch to finish the job. i then add effects that EVH used on different layers. so you end up with a complete artist tone. the good part about dialing it in before tonematch is that you get an alternate tone reminiscent of the artist (but not dead on) when tonematch is turned off.....something that can be used to build your own base tone. using this particular preset as an example, though i like the early EVH tone when listening to a cd, i hate it when playing through it. i can't deal with the feel. when i turn off tonematch i get a tone that i can get into much easier.

most people want a particular artist's tone, but i think it's better to find your own tone at some point. my goal is help people do just that. start off with the tone you think you will like, then grow from there.
fantastic, I can't wait to hear the 1960's hank marvin preset!

fantastic, I can't wait to hear the 1960's hank marvin preset!

post a clip and i'll see what i can do. lol. stranger requests have been made. as long as the original guitar used was a single coil or humbucker, then i can get you close. if it was an odd hollowbody....then not so much.

I love the tone Michael Schenkner gets on Lights Out (Live).

He always has great tone but the live version of lights just has a great raw unpolished rock mojo.

i'm still working on a bunch of presets. when guys send in donations for presets for another device i have to stop what i'm doing and work on their presets. money comes first....gotta pay the bills. lol.

seriously, i just made some presets for a guy using the axe-fx II that were quite a challenge. so it's still relevant to what i'm doing here. i learned some more tricks in the process that will only make my presets better.

Back
Top Bottom