III vs XL+: Please give me your advice.

davidspry

I placed an order for an XL+ a few hours before the III was announced. As soon as I read the announcement I cancelled my order and signed up for the Australian waitlist. The III is due to be released in Australia in (approximately) May, and it should cost about $3,500. At that time, the XL+ was priced at $3,000.

However, the price of the XL+ has since dropped to $2,500, which has prompted me to wonder if waiting for the new unit is worth the extra cost and time. Although I can see that the III is in many ways better, especially in terms of computing power, I'm not sure that I will appreciate the differences.

I'm likely to use only 3-4 amp models in total, I seldom use effects, and I probably won't be playing live. I'm not going to be building complex signal chains, and I suspect that I won't feel the need to switch seamlessly between different amps in the vein of the new Channels feature.

Am I missing anything? Should I stick with my initial impulse to get the latest thing despite the $1,000 difference in cost?

*If this post is in the wrong place, I apologise.*

Hmmm this is a tough one, and I would say that it mostly depends on your preferences... A II will already be a wonderful setup, sure. But if you got the money, and can wait a little, personnally I would take the III, but it is in my nature to want the latest and greatest toy ( yeah, spoiled brat syndrome :) )

So I would say it depends on you really, both will be awesome, the XL will be cheaper now, the III will be awesomer in the future...

HI David,

I'm also in Melbourne and my only concern with the 3, is the potential wait - Granted, Fractal are in a good position with lots of experience managing wait lists however we are faced with a few weeks wait (May).. or not... Being in Australia has shown to lower our supply priority a bit. I have an XL+ and it's great, however in a year or three, there will be an announcement that the older units are no longer supported. I'm keeping my II, and will sell it once the III is in my rack - I'm getting the III more as a support gesture to Fractal, and to avoid the inevitable end of support for the older units as the XL+ is way better than I am :).
So... all I can do is tell you what I would do.... _if_ I was happy with my setup at the moment (not sure you are?), I'd stick with it and grab a III when it's available. Alternatively, I'd grab an XL+ (they are cheap on the second hand market?) grab a III when available, & take a hit when selling the XL+.
Either way - you must get one as you'll kick yourself for waiting so long regardless!
Thanks
Pauly

Honestly, the XL+ is an awesome piece of gear and the release of the Axe-FX III didn't change that. It's going to provide great sounds now, and I think Cliff will probably do his best to continue to pass any real epiphanies from the III into the code of the II for a while longer at least.

Now, I can tell you that I was on the Ultra years ago, and upgraded to the II when it came out. The modeling was already pretty good, but II had a few features that I find useful. Scenes within presets were a huge game changer.

A couple of years ago, I got back into using amps again, and flipped my Axe-FX II to get an FX8. It did very well for me, and greatly simplified my setup. However, it had limitations in the number of blocks you can get in a preset. 8 total overall, even if you have plenty of processing power left, which I often did.

The sales hit in November, and December, so I decided to get an XL+ and come back the Axe-FX. Figured it had more power and flexibility for use with my amp, plus it would be great for recording direct. It is everything I expected, and the modeling has improved in the couple of years I was out.

Flash forward to the announcement of the III... I read about the power the unit has, thought about the potential and added my name to the list. The big one for me is the upgrade from X/Y on many blocks to 4 channels on most blocks. Faster switching when changing channels on the amp block is huge. And, I'm also the kind of guy that likes to have quite a few effects options ready within the preset. Even though I generally keep them simple, I like the idea of being able to stomp a button and a little splash of something different during a solo, just because I can.

The point is, I think the Axe-FX II XL+ will probably do everything you need it to (based on how you describe your needs). I listed why I'm upgrading so you could see what I think are the advantages and think about whether any of that matters to you. For just the sounds the thing gets now, yes, you'll be satisfied. The II already sounds great. The III might get me more convenient features for how I work with things, but I don't expect it to be night and day difference in sound, and there is really only so much room for improvement on that side. It's already at the top of the heap.

Well I will be ditching the II for the III.
However !! Will be keeping the AX8 which is basically the same tech as the XL+
Sound wise I am very happy with my AF II (in my case Mark I).
Hell! Even the Axe Fx Standard had way more flexibility and power compared to a 16sp rack full of gear, I had years ago

The specs of the AF III just got me to worked up. And a while ago I was considering stepping up to the XL+ (since I have a Mark I) but decided against it. I now feel its time. (for me)

From what you described you could easily be happy with a AF II and truth of the matter I could too (sound wise it's great!)
With the AF III I'm looking for more flexibility/power than anything else, and pretty much in a studio environment since I still do work for people from time to time.

I don't want to add confusion to your decision, but have you considered a AX8?

Well it's hard to give an advice - so I just throw in some thoughts:
as mentioned before, the II XL+ is a great piece of equipment and will satisfy your needs. Upgrading from an old Axe FX to a II XL+ is definetely an option.
If money is not an issue at all and you are able to wait a few weeks/months I personally would go for the III. Why? The support for the II will end sooner or later. Other investments (MFC) would not be compatible to the III.
In my opinion this upgrade is compared to an upgrade to a new cellphone. Do I need it? Most probably not! Would I use all new features? Most probably not! Do I want it? Definetely yes ... and just having that incredible piece of equipment would make me happy!
So I would go for it!

I'm likely to use only 3-4 amp models in total, I seldom use effects, and I probably won't be playing live. I'm not going to be building complex signal chains, and I suspect that I won't feel the need to switch seamlessly between different amps in the vein of the new Channels feature.
This statement says to me that you should perhaps look at getting a used AxeFX2 - even a Mk 1 or 2 model if you can find one of them. Any half decent Midi controller will get you changing presets and IA CCs without needing to splash out on the MFC-101 (or you can control MIDI messages from your DAW if that's your thing).

If this is your first foray into the Fractal gear then you can't be 100% sure it's the gear for you in the long term and whatever used model you buy will likely be relatively cheap on the back of the III coming soon - so you'll not lose too much in resale when the time comes to either upgrade to a new III (or used one might be available by that stage) or try something new.

Depends on your use case. If you're just playing at home, I would probably get a used XL for cheap. If you are playing live, the 3 with all the enhancements and new controller will solve many compromises for me, so maybe it's worth it to you also

I placed an order for an XL+ a few hours before the III was announced. As soon as I read the announcement I cancelled my order and signed up for the Australian waitlist. The III is due to be released in Australia in (approximately) May, and it should cost about $3,500. At that time, the XL+ was priced at $3,000.

However, the price of the XL+ has since dropped to $2,500, which has prompted me to wonder if waiting for the new unit is worth the extra cost and time. Although I can see that the III is in many ways better, especially in terms of computing power, I'm not sure that I will appreciate the differences.

Am I missing anything? Should I stick with my initial impulse to get the latest thing despite the $1,000 difference in cost?

*If this post is in the wrong place, I apologise.*
Sounds to me like the III is way overkill for your needs.
If you're looking to future upgrades and the like then the III will be great.

I’d go for the Ax8, less expensive then the XL and you don’t need the extra expense of a foot controller as it’s built into the firm factor

Unless your recording, run complex patches, need two amps at once, etc, the ax8 works great

Yeah, the II is a great unit, but you really should just wait and pay a bit more for the III, the new user interface should actually make it easier to use, while also allowing deeper editing from the front panel.

All the new features, amps to come and improvements will be overkill most likely, but you'll be happy to get them and they'll continue for the next 5 to 7 years, or so,

Your second best option is probably the AX8, if it meets all your needs, but the III is the new flagship and will be getting all the latest and greatest going forward, the AX8 (and the II/XL+) will still get updates that trickle down from the III, but a year, or two out they'll likely reach their max potential and only the III will keep evolving.

I don’t know what your needs are musically but for me, after owning and using the Axe2xl+ for the last two and a half years and seeing it replace the huge amp and pedal collection I’ve amassed over the last 35 years for both live and studio use, if I were in your situation I’d make the spend and go with the 3. With all the upgrades to the Axe3 you’ll probably get 5-10 years of use from it before really needing an upgrade. To me that’s worth the additional cost considering how frequently you would need to update less expensive units that offer few software updates and require you to buy a new piece of hardware every 2-3 years to get the latest features and modeling improvements.

If you buy the 2xl+ you’ll be getting a great unit that you’ll be able to do a lot with but you’ll be stuck with what you have moving forward as there will be very little development for it once the Axe3 is in full swing and the hardware for the 2 is pretty much at it’s limit...it’s still a high bar but after a couple of years you’ll find yourself wishing you had bought the 3...especially if they come up with a major modeling update like they did with Quantum.

Last edited:
Using your description of uses, get the XL+. Your savings would pay for an MFC 101 Mk III, shipping, with money left over. It will completely cover your needs with massive room to spare, and the resale price on your unit will see much less drop over time because the initial purchase price is already at or near the point where used units are selling now. Again, referencing your uses as described, all you’ll lose is bragging rights to the latest and greatest. Buy what’s right for you.

This statement says to me that you should perhaps look at getting a used AxeFX2 - even a Mk 1 or 2 model if you can find one of them.
If you have simple needs, consider the MK 1 or ax8 if you want a controller. I have an mk1 and never considered upgrading. Don't need 100's more cabs and preset slots. I use axe edit, never touch the front panel.

I have to ask...if you're not using many effects, you won't be playing live and you'll only be using 3-4 amp models and won't be doing any complicated routing, why buy an AxeFx at all? I mean, it sounds like you can get your needs met with the Atomic Amplifire or similar device at a significant cost savings.

Stick to your guns for the III. You'll have years of software updates that will feel like Christmas every 2 months. If you really want something today, checkout the AX8.

Man, the Ax8 sounds like exactly what you need. Get one used and wait for the III to finish it’s initial release. If you feel the need to upgrade, you can sell it for just as much as you bought it.

Let's be honest, for home playing....any of the Axe 2 (or Ax8) products are amazing.
If availability of the III is unknown in your country, then my decision would be based on which of the Axe 2 units I could find on the used market.
I gig out every weekend, and the Axe 2 could last me until the end of my career (if the III never came out). Of course we all want the latest and greatest, but the Axe 2 platform is already stunning and sounds like it would suit your needs.
I would grab a used Axe 2 for half the price of the III and spend a couple years with that, then revisit the buying the III.

A used AX8 sounds like what you need. Its limited to one amp/cab at a time. A lot of times puchases for a hobby aren’t about what you need but what you want. I opted to sell the Axe2XL+ and get on the Axe3 waitlist. I can get by on my other gear.

Back
Top Bottom