If you like amp x, try amp y

Bruce1448

I was a long time AxeFx II user and have recently picked up the FM9.

I find myself constantly gravitating toward 4 or 5 amps. With the numerous amp options, I'm curious if there are some I'm missing out on.
Of course, I'm working my way through trying them all, but I'd love some extra opinions.

For cleans, I'm mostly using the Matchbox D-30 and Double Verb Vibrato.
For dirt, Friedman HBE V1, Friedman BE V1 Fat, and Plexi 50W High 1.

Any alternatives I should know about?

Thanks!

I use HBEv1 for everything and I like a lot Shur Badger 30 or Band commander for cleans.
6160block and 5153 blue Chanel are another musts on my FM9.
Just Brit800 with ts style pedal in front... Too many and good options to try!! :)

Great thread.

For cleans i'd recommend the Shiver Clean or the band commander.

For distortion i'd recommend:

Marshall flavor: Carol Ann Tucana
Soldanoish: Revv Purple
Modern: 5153 50 watt blue

I was a long time AxeFx II user and have recently picked up the FM9.

I find myself constantly gravitating toward 4 or 5 amps. With the numerous amp options, I'm curious if there are some I'm missing out on.
Of course, I'm working my way through trying them all, but I'd love some extra opinions.

For cleans, I'm mostly using the Matchbox D-30 and Double Verb Vibrato.
For dirt, Friedman HBE V1, Friedman BE V1 Fat, and Plexi 50W High 1.

Any alternatives I should know about?

Thanks!
I’ll play.
For the dc30 try the ac20 or fas class a.

The rx lonestar work a v30 is a nice alternative to the twin.

Someone else mentioned the tucana. Both clean and drive models are very useful.

Shiver Clean
This one is an Swiss Army knife of the all, clean and edge of breakup, or smooth leads with pedals
It does everything better than any other amp, any boutique included, covering them all, dumbles or wrecks or fenders and Marshalls
Just try it with MV to 11, for example, no other clean amps does it right, imo, staying this clean without squashing the sound while adding that compression us legato players need
Make it "class a" and experience the other tonal palette, covering everything else

Gotta say - I've been checking the out the FAS models for some things, and they're pretty damn amazing.

For fun, I grabbed the FAS brown - and had a pretty convincing EVH sound in a just a few minutes with a dyna cab. Don't sleep on those models.

If you like 5150/Archon/SLO, try FAS Skull Crusher or Modern II

If you like Mesa Boogie Mark/Dual Rectifier, try FAS Modern I or Modern III or Nitro 1 (trust me on the Nitro, you'll be shocked; just turn the treble and presence up around 8-9)

If you like SV20H/2203/SLP, try the Trainwreck Liverpool, Ruby Rocket, or FAS Wreck

If you like Friedman BE/HBE or Bogner Ecstasy, try CCV2C or JVM OD1/2 Orange.

If you like Shiver Clean for cleans, try the ODS Clean

I've been looking for a replacement or alternative to the Double Verb for no reason other than just trying other things. I really like the FAS Buttery a lot. As much as I want to gravitate towards a model of an actual amp, the Buttery really sounds great.

Gotta say - I've been checking the out the FAS models for some things, and they're pretty damn amazing.

For fun, I grabbed the FAS brown - and had a pretty convincing EVH sound in a just a few minutes with a dyna cab. Don't sleep on those models.
There's several threads on this, but count me as another FAS model devotee. I gig with two bands, and really only use a handful of amp models. The only reason I have a dozen presets is to give me a wider variety of scenes based on the same template. I even use the FAS FET boost and built-in preamp boost, in various ways. I toss in a Friedman for some beefy classic rock chunk, feels amazing on things like Rosanna. But there's serious goodness in the FAS models, and when run in the "2 similar but different amp" blends in stereo through a YA IRs, it's gorgeous and compelling. I keep tweaking and playing with all the new stuff, and always wind up back here for shows. By all accounts it's terriffic in front of house.

Haven't seen anyone mention the 65 Bassguy models. Both are great - clean or cranked. The Normal one gives you classic Fender tones, and the Bass one gives a bit more of a trimmer bottom and mid-crunchy tone that is half its own thing and half a sort of Fender/Marshall hybrid....

This one is an Swiss Army knife of the all, clean and edge of breakup, or smooth leads with pedals
It does everything better than any other amp, any boutique included, covering them all, dumbles or wrecks or fenders and Marshalls
Just try it with MV to 11, for example, no other clean amps does it right, imo, staying this clean without squashing the sound while adding that compression us legato players need
Make it "class a" and experience the other tonal palette, covering everything else
I have a Shiva 20th Anniversary with EL-34s. The clean channel dimed with a Strat neck pickup is really something special, with maybe a little FET boost in front. Glorious fun.

Of course I haven't turned it on since I bought the AX3... ;)

...and justice for dynacabs: if you like the 1960TV but looking fore a more modern vibe without overpowering low end, give a try to the Lerxst 4x12. I f***ing love that cab. It has a some sonic quality that comes strange at first, but you get used to it in a few minutes. They are a better couple with the Stealth than its own matching cab IMHO.

I apply both high cut (12k, q: 12) and Leon Todd's phase suggestion (20ms latency for one of the two mics), and a low cut at 80Hz (q: 12), and the result is great!

Last edited:
I also agree that if you like AC30/D30, AC20 is a bit more lively.

Triple Crown is surprisingly nice.

1959SLP is incredible with greenback cabs.

Back
Top Bottom